Gibson Brands Forums

Depression

Silenced Fred

How do you get over it?

Lately, everything just seems stale and a bunch of other stuff.

Just asking

Maybe its just cabin fever from being boxed up over a rough winter? You seem to spend a lot of time posting on various guitar forums. Maybe take a break. Take a bus into the city and walk around, get some fresh air. Or take your folk's car out to the country and go for a hike. I took a long walk around Boston on Friday and took my wife out to dinner. Some times, you just got to break the routine. Too much time staring at a computer screen can make you crazy!

If I stay at home all the time I get depressed. Just going on forums and stuff makes me feel lonely.

Lately I've been going out everyday doing a lot of stuff. Staying busy/ social. Also, I just bought an El Capistan. That will definately put a smile on my face.

Seriously though if I'm feeling depressed hanging out with good friends always makes me feel better.

You too, now?

Good luck.

I've been this way since August, at least. Probably earlier.

I should probably get help, but I doubt I ever will.

It's been this way since longer than August, I have just never really said anything.

J- I hear you, I do a lot of stuff and go out, I just post when I'm working on homework or noodling on guitar. It might seem like I post a ton, but I just usually end up getting into conversations with people on one or two threads

I've battled "depression," all my life. Exercise, and good eating

habits, have helped, tremendously. (Watch your blood sugar, especially...

if it's too low, or too high, it can effect moods, a LOT!) Even if you

don't have diabetes, blood sugar fluxuations (not eating properly or at the

right times), can be one culprit. Otherwise, a change in routine, or your

surroundings, can help. Believe it, or not, listening to Classical music,

and/or (in my own case) Beatles' music, always uplifted my spirits. Your

preferences, that way, may vary. :>) Some thing positive, anyway.

Hang in there!

CB

No. 1 don't do alcohol or drugs.

No. 2 get out of your usual grind.

No. 3 go on long walks in unusual places.

No. 4 do something for somebody else. Volunteer.

No. 5 and probably the most important thing you can do for yourself, do something creative even if it's origami, drawing, painting, or paper machete,

See about getting on an intramural/ JV team. I played basketball in High School and Jr. College before I transferred. Sometimes it was all that helped me keep my sanity. Even if its too late to get on the team, email the coach and see if he/she would let you on the practice squad. If your in High School/ College, there are limitless possibilities to find new clubs/ teams to get involved with. Its a great way to break the routine and meet new people.

No. 1 don't do alcohol or drugs.

No. 2 get out of your usual grind.

No. 3 go on long walks in unusual places.

No. 4 do something for somebody else. Volunteer.

No. 5 and probably the most important thing you can do for yourself, do something creative even if it's origami, drawing, painting, or paper machete,

Caliman, those are 5 excellent recommendations [thumbup]

Depression is real. Depending if it's seasonal or clinical. Either way, great suggestions here. I know I joke a lot, but on this one, it's no "just get over it" type of thing. I hope the suggestions here get you out of it. I mean that. And if it's still a struggle, seek help and see what works for you. Meds, no meds, counseling, no counseling, whatever works for YOU. People are different. And screw stigmas. Do what you have to do. Hope it's seasonal.

Sounds like a seasonal depression. I have one for every season[biggrin] Winter is the worst but were almost through it. Finding a female never hurts.... If it doesn't subside once the whether changes talk to a Dr. if it is too bad.... Hope you get your mojo back....

Andy

I'm feeling down these days too. The weather up here has been soooo cold for soooo long, and we haven't even had any sun. It was -19 today, snowing, and no sun. Some days i think I'm going lose it if it keeps on snowing. Anyway, I know this isn't helping, but just knowing that you're not alone should help a bit. I got one of those Seasonal Affective Disorder lights, and it has helped a bit. St John's Wort is also helpful but it's for short term use only and if you're going to try it, follow the instructions. It's not a case of 'more is better'. But Californiaman is right, and make a point of getting outside to do something different.

Caliman definitely is right on.

Booze, especially, is a depressant. Literally.

So... be outside when the sun shines if you can. That's part of seasonal depression.

Playing bridge used to help when I was your age 'cuz it forced being with people. Or playing ping pong or whatever is done nowadays. Gets the blood going.

If there's a relatively traditional martial arts/tai chi class, give that a try.

EDIT: Karen, how's the horse???

m

EDIT: Karen, how's the horse???

m

Sable (aka Booboo) has weathered this winter much better than I have. She grew an enormously long thick coat (Farmer's Almanac warning of the sign of a bad winter) and she's now shedding it out. I see her frequently but it's too cold to ride. It's just not fun when I have to wear forty million layers of clothes. I long for the days of T-shirts, jeans, cowboy hats and a good horse! I got the good horse, just need winter to go away.

I've some friends who have a house in town and ranch 50-60 miles outa town and stay there when there's winter feeding, etc., to do that's a bit too much for their son who lives on the place.

You should see their "work clothes" for this time of year. It'd scare the heck outa most town folks.

Well, come to think of it... you know only too well what I mean. <chuckle>

Glad the horse is fine... I'm sure you're fine too, but with us humans it seems to take a bit more than some corn and hay and a bit of shelter from the wind to keep perked up.

m

Been there big time.

When the weather is nice, bike riding temporarily lifts my spirits. Interesting how the beauty of everything comes out when I'm on the bike.

I feel for you Fred. I'll be praying for you brother. Hope you are feeling better real soon.

Believe it, or not, listening to Classical music,

and/or (in my own case) Beatles' music, always uplifted my spirits.

I've never really thought about it but listening to the Beatles always cheers me up too. I also love to play along with Beatles records.

I've struggled with depression for a couple of years now, it's not something I really share with my friends or family. I think it's a bit seasonal for me, in the summer when I wake up and I wonder what I'm going to do that day. In the winter I wake up and I say "why must we all live this repititous lifestyle" What really gets me down is in the fall when the days are growing shorter, that really does make you feel like you're running out of time. But hey, winter is almost over.

Archived