Gibson Brands Forums

Modern Music

neilpanda

I have a friend (well not really a friend) that is obsessed with Justin Beiber. Which makes me think, what is so good about

modern music? I hear it on the radio, its all computerized and edited. I see these artists perform at these award shows, well,

they either sound terrible, or it is lip synced. This makes me ask, are modern musicians lazy? or did human vocal chords start

becoming crappy when babies were born? Seems to me like musicians today focus more on what they wear than how they sound.

What do you think? [confused]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not that good music isn't being created anymore it is the fact that a Justin Beiber is easily reproduced and proven to make money for record labels. To get genuinely good artists they have to take a chance on them, and then deal with artists. What's more in the short term people have more trouble acknowledging amazing music than in the long term. John Lennon's "Imagine" for instance only ever hit #3 on the billboard, that same month "Chama Chameleon" was #1.

Now is my favourite period in music. Why? Because the sheer variety of styles - and mass of people producing music - is so vast! As for the current style (ie 'nows' style LOL)... The current period we are in encompasses everything! It is just like Bruce Lee's quote "No style as style, no way as way!"

There is so much great music being made. The explosion too of niche music is hugely enjoyable; whether that be the folk music of Bellowhead, the 'zaneyness' of shred maestro John 5, or the modern classical music of Joby Talbot. The last ten years as an all rounder have been the best since the 90's msp_thumbup.gif

Justin Bieber?

Every few years there is a teen idol, just forget about it.

Matt

I dislike much of the so-called "modern music" as well, but if I had been living in the 60's or 70's, I would have felt the same. Crappy Pop has always been around, and it always will be, because it makes money. Just look at the charts from the "good old days", and you'll see that the masses back then were consuming stuff just as terrible as Justin Bieber.

On the other hand: Black Sabbath, The Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, etc., etc., weren't being played on the Pop stations. If you turned on the radio back then, you would have heard Sonny and Cher, Donnie and Marie, some Neil Diamond and a lot of crappy Disco. Good music is always enjoyed only by a small minority. It was that way back then, and it's that way today.

The trick in any era is to find the good music. Just don't expect it to be played on the radio.

I agree with all points so far....

As well as the negative commercial aspects to popular music today

There are many glimmers of hope, originality and risk taking

IMO the greatest innovation in recent years is U Tube etc

Enabling the unsigned artist to go global at little cost....

I could also go apoplectic about the incessant formulaic pap which is dished up to fill an empty space on radio and tv

Truly 'accountants' music'....

V

:-({|=

Music today is over produced. Every little detail is synthesized to the nth degree. Then the artist does a live show and you get the wtf moment. There is some good music out there, but overall, it's on a down period. (and I don't see it recovering)

It's far too big a brush to say "all modern music is crap".

There always has been, and there always will be great music created - just as there will be the rubbish.

All we need to do is find the stuff we like. "T'was Always Thus."

P.

There was a thread on this a while back, can't find it, it had some great thoughts though.

There's definitely some great music out, sometimes it's a pain to find, it's just not what is mainstream right now. (excuse the short answer I gotta run!)

I dislike much of the so-called "modern music" as well, but if I had been living in the 60's or 70's, I would have felt the same. Crappy Pop has always been around, and it always will be, because it makes money. Just look at the charts from the "good old days", and you'll see that the masses back then were consuming stuff just as terrible as Justin Bieber.

On the other hand: Black Sabbath, The Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, etc., etc., weren't being played on the Pop stations. If you turned on the radio back then, you would have heard Sonny and Cher, Donnie and Marie, some Neil Diamond and a lot of crappy Disco. Good music is always enjoyed only by a small minority. It was that way back then, and it's that way today.

The trick in any era is to find the good music. Just don't expect it to be played on the radio.

Lou Reed even commented on the same phenomenon while still in the Velvet Underground and getting no radio play:

'Jenny said when she was just five years old

There was nothin' happenin' at all

Every time she puts on a radio

There was nothin' goin' down at all,

Not at all

Then one fine mornin' she puts on a New York station

You know, she don't believe what she heard at all

She started shakin' to that fine fine music

You know her life was saved by rock 'n' roll'.

The same is true now, there is lots of fine, fine music out there. You just need to find the equivalent of Jenny's New York station...

There are certainly more people producing more music today. There are also more places to hear it. This makes finding it more difficult also.

Some of the stuff posted here from Music Fog has been really good and I wouldn't have heard it otherwise.

Some good songs, yes.

Compelling artists, not so much for me. Too many trying to sound like each other.

One of the reasons the 60's were so exciting was the explosion of creativity but so many distinct and seminal bands.

There was still top 40 crap, as has already been stated but also so many artists who you recognized instantly and you couldn't wait for the next album to come out.

Despite my old fart point of view, that isn't the reason I haven't gravitated toward "modern" music.

It's not that I'm hopelessly pining for the 60's. I'm not finding artists who really have something to say/play that speaks to me.

Good songs, yes, compelling artists, no.

Modern Music is a VERY broad term...

I bet every one of you likes a lot of "modern music"...

There is so much MORE music now...you just have to do some work to find the stuff you like. If you're not willing to do that, well...you're missing out. There is some great modern stuff out there...even if not all of us agree on WHICH music that is.

For the billionth time, stuff like Bieber has always existed. Whether it was the 30s, 40s or in 2011. It doesn't matter.

I love Modern music. Black Keys, Grace Potter, and Foo Fighters. Just a few bands I love. Were they around in the "only good time of music that people say were the 70s? **** NO

I don't have a problem with modern music. I am good at shielding myself from a lot of the auto tune rubbish because I don't watch Fuse or listen to commercial FM radio (does any still listen to that?).

What I do have a problem with is how it is produced. ProTools has ruined music. ProTools itself is not bad, it is how it is used. When you are nudging every instrument so it is *exactly* on the beat, compressing the hell out of it, and auto tuning the vocalist who has no business singing, you have a problem. It produces crappy sounding recordings. It gives the listener ear fatigue and a raging headache. Even some of my favorite bands have fallen into this hole. If you buy the CD version of the White Stripes Icky Thump it is compressed to the point of digital distortion. Who the **** allowed this? And people wonder why I buy what I buy. Know what my last purchase was? The reissue of Sonic Youth's Sister; mastered from the original analog masters and pressed on 180 gram vinyl.

... John Lennon's "Imagine" for instance only ever hit #3 on the billboard, that same month "Chama Chameleon" was #1.

Good point. . . Except the correct title is "Karma Chameleon". . . Now Instant Karma's gonna get you. . . [flapper]

Music is good.

Well . . . . . . . most music is good. . . B)

I agree EVOL, By the way, I just got my Audio Technica turntable and my vinyls are finally home, I had a great night lat night listening to music with depth. It is cool when you can hear a studio recording that has a "mistake" by today's standards.

Anyway, when people complain about modern music I have to take a step back and wonder how much these same people go out of their way to find new current and refreshing music.

If you are waiting for the next star playing on your FM radio or you are a traditionalist, you yourslef may be part of the problem. If you are waiting for the mainstream to coincide with the music you like, have a seat, it may be a while.

I cannot tell you how many good bands I have seen simply by paying a $5 cover on "Rock the Block" type nights, very little known bands playing great music, some of them not even my style but hey, I recognize talent when I see it.

Dig below the surface and find good music! and don't waste your energy on stuff you don't like, POP is called that because it is POPular...alright I made that up.

If you are waiting for the next star playing on your FM radio or you are a traditionalist, you yourslef may be part of the problem. If you are waiting for the mainstream to coincide with the music you like, have a seat, it may be a while.

Truer words never spoken. Payola never went away and in the nineties it got a lot worse thanks to the communications act of '96. We don't need no free market or democracy in our entertainment! Plays go to the highest bidder. Just make sure it is under the table; like that two week, all expense paid cruise to the Yucatan Peninsula for the program manager.

By the way, I just got my Audio Technica turntable and my vinyls are finally home, I had a great night lat night listening to music with depth. It is cool when you can hear a studio recording that has a "mistake" by today's standards.

Sweet! What model turntable? Did you upgrade the stylus? I am ordering my Maratz PM5004 tomorrow and thinking about getting a new, nicer stylus for my so/so Sony turntable. Once I have these two items my listening room will be complete. First album I am going to spin is that Sonic Youth reissue. Cranked all the way, of course!

I have a friend (well not really a friend) that is obsessed with Justin Beiber. Which makes me think, what is so good about

modern music? I hear it on the radio, its all computerized and edited. I see these artists perform at these award shows, well,

they either sound terrible, or it is lip synced. This makes me ask, are modern musicians lazy? or did human vocal chords start

becoming crappy when babies were born? Seems to me like musicians today focus more on what they wear than how they sound.

What do you think? [confused]

I think your entire example is based on commercial radio and awards shows. Personally I don't think there has ever been a better time for music in the history of the world. Anyone with a musical vision can get a computer, record there work and promote it on the web themselves. No one needs radio or the record companies these days. Because of that we have a wider range of music available to us than ever before.

The down side is that it's no longer neatly packaged and delivered to your door step in friendly FM Radio/MTV/Rolling Stone format anymore. Now it's up to you to go out and find the tunes and the new bands you will like. That can be a bit of work. So lazy people are of the impression that there is no good music out there. People who don't mind digging for it are finding gold.

In ways I pretty much agree with both Matt and Nathan...

But I'll add one point in that I think "we" always need to remember that even if we're one musician in a symphony orchestra, we're entertainers first.

Relatively poor musical skills and good "entertainment" can easily go together, whether we want to admit it or not. A bit of decent but basic chording, a bass adding some heavier rhythm and body to some tunes ... and two "entertainers" can hold a crowd for hours _IF_ they know how to entertain.

Some of those entertainers can end up "on top" while others don't. It's just that their talent is entertaining, not necessarily playing guitar. That ain't bad at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never seek less than constant growth in my own technique to sound as good as possible with my too-limited talent or lack of it. But I constantly remind myself when "playing out" that I'm there to help make people happy whether I'm mostly adding solo "background music" or getting people to dance and drink as part of an ensemble. <grin> I just wish I were better at making it "work" more often.

Matt... I think there was a lotta different stuff available in the 50s, too - but certain types probably weren't quite as sophisticated for better or worse. Ditto through all the years if one looked for it. Youtube certainly makes the looking a lot easier and encourages greater technical sophistication regardless of style.

m

Archived