Gibson Brands Forums

Lemon Oil

neilpanda

I always use Fret Doctor, it is the best stuff out there IMO. I put it on for 45 minutes,wipe it off then repeat. I only have to do mine once to twice a year. I also apply it with my fingers and a q tip. Stuff is amazing :)

What do you guys use for beautifying your fretboards?

I just pick up my guitars, strike a pose and they beautify... Heh..

Actually, I've been wanting to use lemon oil on my fretboards. Maybe this weekend.

Lemon oil is great for cleaning, but it has a natural solvent that can soften the inlay glue. I use it sparingly for cleaning.

To moisturize and condition the fretboard I use Fret Doctor.

Yikes! Fret Doctor then... Just to be on the safe side

Fret Doctor. The stuff is the real deal. Also, the owner, Ed Boyle, is a real nice guy who will give you an honest opinion. He's got a great explanation of the various oils on his website. Here's what he says about lemon oil:

'Be aware that most "Lemon oils" are no more than lemon-scented mineral oil, as are most bore oils. Real lemon oil is steam distilled from lemon peel, is quite acidic, with a pH of 3.7 to 4.2. It is an effective cleaner, but wipe it off when you are finished.'

Here also says 'Almond oil, Walnut oil, etc., food grade, are probably O.K., but make sure they don't contain solvents like naphtha or other petroleum distillates.'

The man really knows his stuff because he's a chemist. Send him an email. He'll give it to you straight and won't give the hard sales pitch. For me, Fret Doctor works great so I'm sticking with it.

Just finished jamming on my newly lemon oiled guitars. I ran out so I had to head quickly to the shop and

get a bottle. Man they look great, almost kinda feel great too! I used Dunlop 65 lemon oil.

What do you guys use for beautifying your fretboards?

i use the same, check out this pick of before and after applying the oil...

(board was pretty dry) [biggrin]

001.jpg

Homer Formbys lemon oil......used it for 2 decades (the same bottle) VERY sparingly.....immediately when a new purchase comes home w/me, then once a yr thereafter.

A few drops on a piece of terrycloth, wipe on, rub in, allow to sit 5 minutes, rub clean/dry with a clean pc of terrycloth.

Gives exellent results, and has never loosened an inlay.

I bought some Old English lemon oil at my local grocery store. I tried it out first on an old acoustic all grimed up from 10+ years of playing. After some 0000 steel wool to clean the fretboard, I gave it a drink and it looks great.

I also used Dunlop 65 stuff a while back so I'm trying to compare the two.

Question: Does the Gibson Fretboard Conditioner replace the use of lemon oil?

Thanks! :)

Archived