Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone beat Insomnia?

Lungimsam

Insomnia is a *****. I tend to have it worse during the week because I work things job-related in my mind over and over. One thing that a therapist had me do - which helped - was to write down the things I was thinking about and keeping me from sleep, and just write briefly how I would handle it TOMORROW instead of trying to figure it out that night.

If it gets TOO bad, see a doc; he can help you. Good Luck!

Two slices of dark bread peanutbutter toast.

And OJ.

Then deep breathing and relaxing my face muscles. I think that sounds a bit odd, but it's surprising how much effort we put into face muscles and that helps keep us awake.

m

I have issues sleeping often, 4 days a week for some stretches (of course it could be worse). It's almost always because there is too much on my mind, usually I'll go and sit in the dark playing guitar, or

(I find the repeated tetromino patterns distracting and mildly soothing).

Bi polar, PTSD and other fun stuff messes with my sleep....I've now been up for three days....( no drugs, no booze )...

It passes, then I sleep well.........I keep busy with studies and recording....................

I'm amazed (and confused) at the amount of "yeah, I beat insomnia by going to sleep" posts here. Clearly a lot of you haven't dealt with insomnia or even know what it means.

Insomnia is an actual physical inability to sleep or difficulty with falling asleep and/or staying asleep. It can be caused by many things, and can't be dealt with simply by "going to sleep," because you can't cure a disorder by doing that which the disorder leaves you incapable of doing. That suggestion is, if I may be so blunt, idiotic. I have encountered insomnia as a result of PTSD (after getting hit by a car when I was fourteen,) as a secondary condition associated with my clinical depression (also something that's widely misunderstood and is often met with the advice that one should just "get over it,") as a secondary condition associated with my anxiety disorder (also widely misunderstood and met with similar advice to "get over it,") and as a free-standing primary condition seemingly unrelated to other physiological or psychological conditions. It's not easy, it's typically a manifestation of a neurochemical disorder (as are most disorders of the type that are typically misunderstood as "nonsense" conditions,) and what makes it worse is sanctimonious "advice" from uninformed groundlings who aren't as smart as they think they are. OP, if you're struggling with insomnia, get help. A guitar forum, especially one like this, isn't going to give you the treatment you need.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Meet Rosie Palms and her five sisters... [tongue]

Not NEARLY as effective.

Just sayin' :)

Nyquil works pretty good, though, when I'm sick. So does Thera-flu night time formula.... I have woken up face down on the kitchen table, tea cup in hand taking that stuff.....

[thumbup]

Not NEARLY as effective.

Just sayin' :)

Nyquil works pretty good, though, when I'm sick. So does Thera-flu night time formula.... I have woken up face down on the kitchen table, tea cup in hand taking that stuff.....

[thumbup]

You mean ol' lady thump and her four finger daughters.