Gibson Brands Forums

fave guitarist when you started playing?

S t e v e

I had a heap of favorite guitarists when I started playing.

Billy Joe of Green day, Billy Corgan, Kurt Cobain, Dimebag Darrel, Kirk Hammet, John Rezenik, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton.

Didn't tak3 long before a few of them dripped off and other guitarists became an interest though.

As a kid and the youngest of five. Elvis and the Beatles were all around the house. I remember listening to 'Guitar man' by Elvis. Would that be 'Scotty Moore'?

That got me playing and then Marc Bolan gave me the boot to play properly.

My first real guitar hero was and will always be George Harrison. Huge Beatle fan as a youngster. Used to get made fun of for it. Then I got into Kiss and started worshiping the Man From Space himself. Speaking of Ace, I saw him at Rockin' the Rivers in August, along with BTO. Both knocked my socks off. But I scooted up front for Ace. He was f'n hillarious! Was making jokes about Montana's dryness, and threw his water bottles into the crowd. When he came out onstage he said, " I'm gonna kick your *** tonight". Some took offense, but I laughed mine off. Great show. Even played some Kiss tunes like I Want You, Shout it Out Loud, and even Love Gun. Whole band was killer. Anyhoo, I still love Kiss and the Beatles, just not as much. Then after Kiss I got into the Stones and wanted to be Brian Jones ( WHOA THAT RHYMES! ). Then came AC/DC. I spent many hours in my living room doing Angus's dances and jamming along to their tunes. After that, I got into Zep, and then Van Halen. I had a Squier Strat, and I tried striping it! And then things sorta took off. Had some "phases", though, like my Traffic phase, my Cream/Clapton phase, Tom Petty phase, Nirvana phase, Foo Fighters phase, even a Brad Paisely phase. For a while I was into Hair Metal, like Ratt, The Crue, Poison, Faster *****cat, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, eg. And I was into G nR for sometime. Got into Pearl Jam/Mother Love Bone. Got into SRV, Hendrix, Rockabilly ( mainly Setzer and Scotty Moore ). But I think all these phases make my style what it is. Mixing blues licks with shredding, melodic rock ( like Tom Petty ), and balls to the wall toughness ( AC/DC, Jackyl, Airbourne ). AND LES PAULS AND JCM 800s WILL DO IT ALL!!!!!

Hmm, when I was young it was SRV, Page, and Gibbons. I still love SRV, Page, and Gibbons. I really like a lot more players than I did back then, but never lost the respect and admiration I have for the sounds inspired me, in fact I like them more now than I did then.

Good music just keeps getting better! [thumbup]

I guess I'm gonna have to admit that I was one of those kids that thought Slash was the god of guitar playing. When I first started playing, there wasn't anyone alive who could tell me that there was a better guitar player than Slash. I still think he's a really good guitarist. But no where near the best.

Yeah I know..................I'm a loser................msp_unsure.gif

Okay, this response may seem a bit odd because it appears to be a non sequitur.

Favorite guitarist? Probably among those I knew were playing, Mundell Lowe. But he was doing jazz as far as I knew.

But when I started playing guitar, I was doing the folksinger thing with a bit of imitation flamenco along with it on occasion. I didn't think of the "folkies" as guitar players as much as folksingers who played guitar.

Lowe was a guitar player, and one whom I figured then - and still now - as having skill and talent far beyond anything I'd ever achieve.

Folksingers, on the other hand, I quickly figured I could match much of their skill if not their talent to make a given level of skill sound better.

Then I got to watch Carlos Montoya, take a couple of classes from Christopher Parkening, watched a lotta bluegrassy and folksie folks who were "better" players such as Gary Davis who, even if only seeing them a cupla times taught me a lot.

So... Bottom line is I started guitar to do the folksie thing but thought the jazz, classical and flamenco guys were "it" when it came to picking. Rock and country electric just were there, neither fish nor foul; ditto blues if not the "folk" blues variety.

But I've always enjoyed good pickin' although I've gotta admit I like guitar tones that sound more like a guitar than a single-note stream from a sax.

m

At the time I actually got a guitar and started learning to play, Randy Rhoads was probably my favorite guitar player. I still think he was one of the greatest, but I don't really listen to or play that type of music very often now days.

Okay, this response may seem a bit odd because it appears to be a non sequitur.

Favorite guitarist? Probably among those I knew were playing, Mundell Lowe. But he was doing jazz as far as I knew.

But when I started playing guitar, I was doing the folksinger thing with a bit of imitation flamenco along with it on occasion. I didn't think of the "folkies" as guitar players as much as folksingers who played guitar.

Lowe was a guitar player, and one whom I figured then - and still now - as having skill and talent far beyond anything I'd ever achieve.

Folksingers, on the other hand, I quickly figured I could match much of their skill if not their talent to make a given level of skill sound better.

Then I got to watch Carlos Montoya, take a couple of classes from Christopher Parkening, watched a lotta bluegrassy and folksie folks who were "better" players such as Gary Davis who, even if only seeing them a cupla times taught me a lot.

So... Bottom line is I started guitar to do the folksie thing but thought the jazz, classical and flamenco guys were "it" when it came to picking. Rock and country electric just were there, neither fish nor foul; ditto blues if not the "folk" blues variety.

But I've always enjoyed good pickin' although I've gotta admit I like guitar tones that sound more like a guitar than a single-note stream from a sax.

m

It begs the question: do you like sax players as much as guitar players?

I think I understand your preference to a guitar player sounding like a guitar more than a sax?

Yure right...

A sax has different dynamics and attack than a guitar with lotza "fuzz" stuff on it, and I enjoy hearing a good sax player playing sax.

A fuzzed guitar tone - which seemed to me when it first came out was an intent to emulate the sax by a guitar band - isn't my schtick. If I were younger it probably would be, at least to an extent.

There are so many people who play different kinds of guitar and make them sound like wonderful guitar music that... that's where my head is.

m

Archived