Gibson Brands Forums

I'm gettin' zapped in the morning

bonzoboy

This morning I went to pre-admission clinic and finally got the go-ahead to have the cardioversion done.What they do is put me out with a general anesthetic and stop my heart then they will immediately restart it and if that's successful my heart will be back to normal rhythm.I have to take it easy for at least 24 hours after the treatment and I won't be allowed to drive my truck or even get on the tractor to mow the lawn. So I guess it will be a couple of days playing my guitars-wwhat a rough time that will be...lol.

Prayers your way. Not something to mess with or not take seriously, although I am pretty sure the Doc's have this proceedure down.

Maybe this would be interesting to you: There was this Jazz musiciain I studied under breifly, Dr. Art Davis. He played on a lot of really "out there" rhythmic stuff with Roach and Coltrane, Elvin Jones' solo stuff. He even recorded with a group that pre-dates the "Bossa Nova" from Stan Getz. He ain't a household name, even by Jazz enthusiast, but when learning about his life and career, who he played with and WHAT he played, it is surprising he isn't. Some call him the greatest bass player alive (when he was).

Back to the subject: anyway, while he was a career musician, he got his Dr. Degree in phsycology, and his interest of study was rhythm. He believed that the reason rhythm had such an effect on poeple as music was because it was connected to the heartbeat. He said Rhythms that poeple use in music mimmics the heartbeat. On the one hand, the reason steady timekeepers have such an effect on the listener is that connection to the body, and also as a musical "expert" on rhythms, why some types of beats sound the way they do. Swings and shuffles and such being a sort of imitation of the heat action. A "natural" reaction occurs.

This guy was also fond of mixing it up when playing, and messing with the rhythm. I would see him perform often, and sometimes when he was playing I could feel my heart skip when he would throw certain things out there.

God Bless & prayers for a total success with the procedure Bonz! [thumbup] If you are going have to play your gits for a couple days (Drs. orders) what songs will you play. If it were me, and I was able to be playing after the procedure & know they'd all be "Praise" types of songs for the Big Guy getting me thru another scrape.

That's just me though!! [biggrin]

If you can type, please jot a "Made it" or something, and then get to playing & praising!!!

Aster

I hope the Cardioversion gets your heart back in normal rhythm. My oldest sister was in A-fib, I took her to the hospital several times for cardioversions. Each time she would be back in normal rhythm, but it didn't stay. She finally was put on meds to slow her heart rate down, and a pace maker in case it goes too slow.

My Prayers are that the one time works for you!

This morning I went to pre-admission clinic and finally got the go-ahead to have the cardioversion done.What they do is put me out with a general anesthetic and stop my heart then they will immediately restart it and if that's successful my heart will be back to normal rhythm.I have to take it easy for at least 24 hours after the treatment and I won't be allowed to drive my truck or even get on the tractor to mow the lawn. So I guess it will be a couple of days playing my guitars-wwhat a rough time that will be...lol.

Good luck. Sounds scary, but this is routine work nowadays - nothing to worry about...

all the best,

Manse

Thanks for all the prayers and kind words guys.I had the procedure done yesterday morning and it went great-thanks in a large part to the prayers and good vibes I'm sure.I have to keep on taking Warfarin for another 4 weeks just to be on the safe side and then get another EKG to make sure that I still have a regular heartbeat.

@ Stein,I've heard that theory about heartbeat and rhythm of music being tied together and that's why music with a slow,soft beat has such a calming effect on the listener.They have started playing light classical music in some prisons and mental institutions with violent offenders for this very reason and have found promising results of reduction of violent behaviour in these places.Interestingly enough they have found that painting the walls and fixtures pale,subdued shades of yellow and even pink has a calming effect too.

Once again thanks a lot guys from the bottom of my reconditioned heart.

Guest farnsbarns

Thanks for all the prayers and kind words guys.I had the procedure done yesterday morning and it went great-thanks in a large part to the prayers and good vibes I'm sure.I have to keep on taking Warfarin for another 4 weeks just to be on the safe side and then get another EKG to make sure that I still have a regular heartbeat.

@ Stein,I've heard that theory about heartbeat and rhythm of music being tied together and that's why music with a slow,soft beat has such a calming effect on the listener.They have started playing light classical music in some prisons and mental institutions with violent offenders for this very reason and have found promising results of reduction of violent behaviour in these places.Interestingly enough they have found that painting the walls and fixtures pale,subdued shades of yellow and even pink has a calming effect too.

Once again thanks a lot guys from the bottom of my reconditioned heart.

Glad it all went well! Keep ya feet up (assuming that's what the quack said) and try to enjoy downtime.

Archived