Gibson Brands Forums

What milod taught me

Izzy

One of my favorite things about the G Lounge is all the tips people give, not just about guitar or music but about other stuff.

milod pointed out that I have an odd timing thing going in my recordings. "Can't tap my foot to it," is how he put it. I started playing to a metronome and what a difference it has made! Forget the time keeping (I can keep it if I know the song well) what it does is force me to just play the notes of new songs without second-guessing myself. Yeah, I may screw up a note or two at first, but if I keep in rhythm eventually the right note is found and I will hit it repeatedly without slowing or wondering. It makes me learn faster, I reckon'.

Thanks milod [thumbup]

This is your chance to thank someone on here for what they've helped you with, introduced you to or taught you.

What MILOD has taught me? What an EXCELLANT question!

Milod's postings have actually had an impact on my life and how I view things and fucntion in normal life.

For one, very early on this forum, he taught me how to write and space a post to make it readable and accessable to a reader. When I first got on, I was writing long paragraphs which honestly most poeple would not care to read. He brought to my attention that posting on the net is a different form of literacy, and made me aware.

He taught me the value of editing. That a short sentance often gets the point across better than explaining it.

He taught me perspective. How to step further back to get to see realities of a subject.

Besides looking at Milod as a historical artifact of information, I have become aware that it isn't just a case of having been there and experienced things, he has a talent and ability to SEE it as it happens, and communicate it back so it has relevance and meaning. I believe this ability of his isn't just a matter of having wisdom. He knows how to find wisdom.

I feel that this has rubbed off on me more than just the occasional readings. More than just the history or things he writes about. Besides gaining wisdom from what he says, I feel like I have learned how to widen my perspective in order to gain wisdom by seeing how he does it.

What i have learned on the forum...

How to hold the pick correctly, How to palm mute, some music theory, how to detect a fake Gibson, how to determine what year my guitar is, how to post pics here, what the difference is between sold, weight relieved and chambered guitars, what pedal FX to use (although I already knew more or less I like), That Tim is a d i c k, how to mod/refinish and build a guitar, how to swirl paint a guitar, what guitars are really worth... I'll add more as I think of things...

"What have you learned from the lounge?"

- Internet etiquette, manners, courtesy or whatever you call it.

- That an internet community doesn't have to get nasty abusive and personal.

- Not to say anything if I'm not really interested in the topic or if I don't know anything about said topic.

- With reference to above, any negative opinions must be carefully expressed anywhere on the internet. As with email, if you wouldn't be happy for everybody to read it then don't send it. You know that 'regret the email' feeling....

- If you want to get along, don't talk politics.

- That there are people out there like me, as old or older with similar interests (and problems which can be shared).

- That there are people out there completely different from me who I can communicate with.

- And that there is an awful lot of knowledge and experience here to draw on. I am glad to be here.

- Milod? I say long may he ramble!! [thumbup]

regards

Being a relatively new guy here, milod has taught me he has no use for Les Pauls or Fender 6 stringers.

I love and use them both.

That said, I would love to share a pitcher of beer with him and talk about photography.

Flash photography in general. I can hold my own in the sun.

In fact, I would love to share a pitcher of beer with everyone here!

Cheers to the Gibson Lounge folks!!!

Mike

Sheesh guys....

Stein... never thought of myself as a "historical relic." <chortle>

All kidding aside... You folks are making me blush.

I've learned as much, by the way, as anyone here. And as others, not just about guitars. If written with courtesy, each has a perspective that can open mental doors for others who truly read what's there.

But even the youngest here will, with any luck, too soon be my age. I think you ought to sorta "act your age," in some ways because I guarantee your bones break more easily.

On the other hand, I see no reason for any of us to become as old as we thought we'd be from the perspective of a teen.

m

Brad...

More likely, just half... <grin>

After all, I'm still a journalist, which should say something as obvious as the Petronius quote opening "The Wasteland" that says the same thing in a somewhat different way. That's perhaps a perfect metaphor for an old journalist when there ain't much of a way out of the jar.

m

Ziggy...

Thing is on some subjects especially, I sort of figure one should, at least on occasion, take the side that would be most interesting to argue for. <grin>

Keeps the brain working. That's kinda like when I'll try to get some old folkie fingerpicking using just my pinkie finger and other variations. I've had too many friends who've lost bits and pieces of their hands not to figure options.

m

Milod did not teach me this but I have nothing but the highest respect for him and his thoughts.

What I have learned from this forum is how there are a lot of players here that have no sense of humour. A recent post where someone asked which of two guitars was better. I sarcasticly replied that the one which cost more was the better guitar. I actually got about a dozen or more negative check marks. If you were one of those that did so I think you are incredibly stupid.

I have also learned that actually stating your honest opinion is frowned upon as well.

I wonder how many negative checks I will get for this post as well.

Oh one other thing.... too, to, and two are three diferent words and their, there, and they're are three words as well. That is something some of you should learn on this forum.

OK I'm ready for the hate. Bring it on.

Milod did not teach me this but I have nothing but the highest respect for him and his thoughts.

What I have learned from this forum is how there are a lot of players here that have no sense of humour. A recent post where someone asked which of two guitars was better. I sarcasticly replied that the one which cost more was the better guitar. I actually got about a dozen or more negative check marks. If you were one of those that did so I think you are incredibly stupid.

I have also learned that actually stating your honest opinion is frowned upon as well.

I wonder how many negative checks I will get for this post as well.

Oh one other thing.... too, to, and two are three diferent words and their, there, and they're are three words as well. That is something some of you should learn on this forum.

OK I'm ready for the hate. Bring it on.

I agree with you about the negative posts.. it does seem a bit silly..

As for the rest of your post, this is my response :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWD0pdfokc

Billybob...

For what it's worth, I've personally never, ever done the "negative check" thing. Don't believe in it, really.

I have complained twice about posts, both of which as I recall were for "trolls" who got in somehow.

But your response does offer an opportunity for comment.

First and foremost - and this factor has functionally destroyed my two "history and philosophy" forums - we always have to remember that what we speak, and what we write, are not the same. I use a lot of the same sardonic speech patterns you're talking about in "daily life" face to face. But I work hard not to do so in writing. Sometimes I succeed.

- The only writer I've known who could really get away with that sort of thing is the late oddball writer Will Cuppy whose "Decline and fall of practically everybody" included such lines as portrayed Alexander the Great as an idealist for world peace.

That latter book is one of my personal favorites. One might note that another of his books was titled, "How to tell your friends from the apes."

I'm not even close enough to his writing skill to attempt such humor. But then, and this is no joke, he was a suicide.

m

Archived