Gibson Brands Forums

Best Buy Acoustic Guitar?

IanHenry

Thanks for your replies,

I already have a Takamine EG523SC, which is quite nice, but it's got a terrible action, I also have a Yamaha FG180 which my father bought me in the 70's, but I fancied something like a Gibson of a Martin.

My budget is £1000 to £1500 ($1583 to $2375) but for a Gibson I think I'd have to go a little higher.

The guitar is for home use only, and having a pick-up is of no interest to me.

Regards,

Ian.

Ian.....it's nice to afford a new name brand, but in your financial budget, you can pick up some fabulous older Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Guild...you name it...guitars with great playability. J.D.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another brand you might not have heard of, but they are worth checking out if you come across is called Crafter. I was in a music store around Richmond VA and they carried Crafter. I had never heard of them but was very impressed with the workmanship and the way they played and sounded.

Wow, thats a lot of different opinions! The Takamine I have sounds very good, so I removed the shins as someone suggested and the guitar is a lot better. I wonder why the put those things in there the fist place?

I know that one guitar is very different to the next one. A few years ago I tried two Martin's, both the same model (they seem to have been discontiued) but made from different woods on the back and sides. One sounded fantastic the other one was no where near the sound quality of the Takamine.

Regards,

Ian.

kaleb...

Hmmmm. Oddly I play probably 99+ percent fingerstyle. Never cared for Martin necks and "feel," much as I like the tone of the big Ds with Bluegrass type stuff.

I guess part of my point is that although the OP has a nice budget, he shouldn't necessarily overlook less expensive pieces as potentially instruments that could bring a lot of pleasant pickin'.

My only Guild is an old S100c "clone" of an SG. Marvelous instrument. But it ain't acoustic.

I think personally that "feel" and playability are the two big factors in any guitar I'll ever own. And the only way to find it is to play a lot of guitars if you have the opportunity to do so.

m

I wasn't talking about feel, I was talking about the sound. Martins have a crisper sound, usually. It depends on the type of wood, and the body style. The smaller 000s and the like tend to be better fingerstyle guitars, whereas dreads n' jumbos are better for strumming and flatpicking.

I own an old Takamine and I love it (don't know the model number though). When I went shopping for another acoustic I played more than I can count. For me the top three are Gibson, Martin and Taylor. I liked the sound of a Gibson the best followed by a Martin. But when I plugged them in the Taylor blew my mind away. The Expression System does a better job at capturing the tones better than both the Gibson and Martin equivalents. If you play using an external mic, then I'd go with a Gibson.

Ian.....it's nice to afford a new name brand, but in your financial budget, you can pick up some fabulous older Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Guild...you name it...guitars with great playability. J.D.

I agree. On a budget that you stated, the new Martins and Gibsons that have a streetprice around 3k would easily fit your budget in used condition.

There should be plenty to choose from and finding one that feels and sounds good to you.

Some examples in US$$. I'm sure you can get plenty more.

Gibson J200 - -----$5073 list ------ $3899 map------ $3000 streetprice ------- $2400 to $1800 used

Martin 000-28EC -$4089 list------- $3499 map ------$2686 streetprice ------- $2400 to $1800 used

Takamine makes some very nice guitars in Japan, then they have their lower lines made elsewhere that do not hold up as well.

You can get some very good buys on their high end models. I've bought a couple of them brand new at 65% off list.

I bought a TAN15 a few years ago. A very nice guitar.

I recently bought a TF250SMC jumbo. Very nice.

I've looked at their Nashville series that are knockoffs of the Martins. Very nice quality and can be bought in your range.

Anyone play Seagull guitars? I believe they are acoustics owned by Godin in Canada. I was in a store in Black Mountain, NC that sold acoustic instruments and the only guitars they sold were Seagulls. I didn't play any because I wasn't looking to buy.

When it comes to electric, I would never buy anything other than a Gibson,

heh. I though only buying Gibsons and Fedners made me a luddite! Dang, I'm twice as much not one as you!

Two words: Spend Money. Cheap acoustics suck way more than cheap electrics.

I had a Taylor one decade for 6 months. A good one too. Boring, too delicate, it didn't respond well to the banging on it required for the average night in a bar. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

CFMartin is the only other American guitar there is, to me. They are worth every dime of what they want for them, for the most part. The cheap ones are just that, cheap. I don't own one currently, I would buy the orchestra size sustainable one, cherry back and sides and reclaimed tops, really nice, not bad money, leave the 'spensive woods for them that needs them, I don't. I'm not a campfire player at all.

Gibsons are great if you find a great one. The other ten in the store might be bricks though, so they are not as easy to pick up and be dazzled as a Martin is.

I have been using an expensive Connecticutian Ovation Custom Legend 1868 for the last...14 years or so. Great for bars, easily go from electric to that neck, goes into any amp and comes out acoustic enough for the crowd to believe it, records well with no hassles whatsoever.

Good luck with it. The acoustic salon is a scarey place for me, too many of them, so much variation in prices, and sadly to me, most aren't even made here anymore.

rct

If I were in the market for a good acoustic guitar now,I'd go for a Martin.Martin is turning some solid wood guitars for under $1,000 and you can get some great sounding guitars built with plywood and veneer backs and sides for around $700.Nothing can compare to the earthy tone of a Martin,they just ring like no other guitar made.If you are looking for something cheaper though the Epiphone AJ & DR 500 series guitars Masterbuilts are extremely good guitars and the lower priced EF 500s are also excellent.The Epi Doves,EJ-200 and Hummingbirds also sound much better than just about all in their price range.I have the Epi EJ-160-E John Lennon model and it's just a wonderful guitar when playe acoustically and amplified.When I plug my EJ-160 into my Vox AC-15 it nails the Beatle tones spot on especially on songs like "I Feel Fine"-but I still can't get the A string to feedback at the intro like John could...lol.Bidell and Lag guitars are also worth a look too as they are lower priced but great sounding too.Seagull and other guitars from Canada are pretty low priced and totally handmade guitars.

Anyway that's a few more for you to consider,but if I were looking for a new acoustic I'd definitely look at the Martin guitars as the most likely prospect.

Anyone play Seagull guitars? I believe they are acoustics owned by Godin in Canada. I was in a store in Black Mountain, NC that sold acoustic instruments and the only guitars they sold were Seagulls. I didn't play any because I wasn't looking to buy.

I play my '94 Seagull SM6 almost exclusively. They make great guitars, all Made in Canada; Quebec to be more precise. They have guitars in pretty much every price point except for "Gibson/Taylor/Martin high-end". I think their most expensive instruments are in the $1600-$1800 range. I swear by them. Very few acoustic guitar brands still use Lacquer finishes on their guitars. Built to last and sound incredible.

-Ryan

Here's a question on a Gibson forum!

So firstly I should say I have three Gibson acoustics but taking Gibson aside I would go for a Martin 00028. These guitars cover all styles of playing and I notice seem to keep going up a the second hand market. In fact that's the best buy as a new one takes some playing in. If you get a pre 1990 model the spruce top will have faded to a warm almost cedar colour. This is a guitar you can buy, play for ten years and sell for more than you paid for it.

If you want to keep the cost down look at Tanglewood, I've been very impressed with them.

As you can tell by all the opinions acoustics are very different animals than electrics, with each having a very different voice and function. There are even more option if you look at many of the small custom makers out there they make some amazing stuff and really the prices are pretty comparable. But with an acoustic it's important to know what you want and what your bonn use if for. I own quite a few everything from a Godin Fifth Ave Arch-Top that cost a little under $400 to a custom McPherson that was $11,000 by the time I was done. And honestly though very different who's to say what's better. A little of my own take on what I own and play. there's been some good advice and not sure I can add much but Ive spent 40+ years chasing the perfect guitar and own quite a few and here's a little of what Ive found about some of the brands talked about here.

Gibson - Woody great resonance strong bottom great mid's not as bright as a Martin

A good Gibson is damn hard to beat when there right there copse to perfect. And the model lineup is broad enough there's something that works for just about anything. If I only got to keep one guitar it would be my Hummingbird built to sing along with it almost perfect for a singer songwriter. My second favorite is my J-185 pretty much perfection in a jumbo that rings out like a bell and records cleaner than any other acoustic I own. Another classic is the J-45 it's the bread and butter of the gibson acoustic and almost everybody I know that plays professionally own one or at least one. And there a good 20 or 30 other models to choose from if one of these classics don't match your need

Martin - Brighter good bottom end but almost sterile in some way especially in the middle.

Martin is the other grandparent of guitar been around for ever and a great guitar, strange thing is most people love them or hate then not a lot of i between usually. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Martin always they just don't live up to the name for me at least not anymore . I have several that are great guitar record well and great balanced tone perfect for coffee shop and acoustic remakes. I have a D-28 that would be really hard to part with and a d-35 that has such a great bottom end it just rumbles in the right setting it can make people cry. I have several other Martins and there all good just not my favorites for some undefined reason. I will say however that my feelings about Martins change dramatically the older they get and you find some from the 30's and 40's that have a tone that is truly unbelievable.

Taylor - Like all their guitars Incredibly well made and beautiful Instruments - I own four right now starting at the 3 series and going up and the funny thing is the sound doesn't change much for me their middle of the line and the top of the line sound very similar and the added cost is more wood choice and cosmetics than anything else. Taylor are very balanced so balanced they almost get boring to me "I've never played a oh my god this is it Taylor, that I had to own", and Ive never played a "**** I wonder what happened here Taylor". There a very consistent and dependable taylor sound and every damn one of them is pretty. This would be my choice if i had to order a guitar through the mail and not play it first. There kind of the ford pickup of guitar great, hard working dependable, well made and all kind of interchangeable. I will say my favorite taylor acoustic isn't really an acoustic I have a Koa taylor T-5 that swapped the bridge on and play with acoustic strings and for recording it's amazing and live well it's still amazing it's my go to guitar for solo gigs at coffee shops and hotel bars a ton of sound options and almost play themselves.

Guild - Man Guild are a tough one this was the guitar everyone wanted in the 70's and there's a reason they were amazing I got a Gad-30 in the early 70's that I thought would be the only guitar I ever needed or wanted you find the right guild especially a 40 year old guild ad you'll know what a acoustic guitar can sound like. There amazing well balanced guitar with beautiful voices. Sadly like so many other they slid down hill and became very mediocre for many years. Ive heard they have come back and again are great sounding and competitive guitars I hope so. I love the brand that old Guild guitar got more high school girls out of their clothes for me in the 70's than cheap wine and being a All State linebacker could have ever done alone.

Fender - Yeah they make them and nope save your money never heard one I remotely liked

Ovation - if your clumsy and drop your guitar a lot or want to run over it with you car this is the brand for you. tough as nails and honestly pretty much Indestructible these are a strange guitar unplugged there horrid, weak sounding thready and thin sounding plug them in or mike them and they sound somewhere being good and great. If your going to plug in all the time it would be a contender for me but why have an acoustic that needs a amp if they is the case get a ES-335 or a Taylor T-5 and call it good.

Takamine - don't know there's a hell of a lot of great American made guitars so why would I shop for something out of Japan? Same reason I don't mention Epiphone some of the Master built line are nice but their still a asian made copy so I pass just a personal belief nothing bad to say about the guitars.

After that theres about a million more and this already is too long of a post but my parting advice. A good acoustic is a life purchase and will be there long after most lactic have moved on so pick carefully and spend as much as you can before it's painful. acoustics are kind of like Tattoo's get a good one or don't get one and cheaper isn't always better.

I guess I'm more of a "comfort" nut than a "tone" nut.

As I've said, of all my acoustics, all of which are more expensive, that little Epi is the one I play most.

I also think that for what I play, yeah, I'd prefer a hand-made, lacquered Gibson version that they haven't made in 50 years, but this has good tone unamped and very good tone amped. I prefer that to very good tone unamped and great tone amped because A.) I don't know what "great tone" is best for what I do and I'm happy with what I get and B.) I doubt that tone helps me play better but shapes do.

Each guitar, regardless of price, is an individual, though. I'm also convinced that I play better on a comfortable guitar than one I find less comfortable.

So "best buy acoustic guitar" as opposed to "best quality whether you are comfortable playing it or not," is to me an entirely different question.

But if I had $2,500 and had to spend it on a single acoustic guitar? Honestly I'd have to take a long trip and play a lotta guitars.

m

I have to admit as much I like the look of the 000-28EC's Ive not played one that sounded anything decent to me. Very boxy, dull, unresponsive tone. The 000-18GE on the other hand is a completely different story. Very responsive, projective, as loud as a dread, great little Martin.

I have to admit as much I like the look of the 000-28EC's Ive not played one that sounded anything decent to me. Very boxy, dull, unresponsive tone. The 000-18GE on the other hand is a completely different story. Very responsive, projective, as loud as a dread, great little Martin.

You need to play my 000-28EC. I can't believe the sound from that small of a guitar. It's an older one and I think it's opened up somewhat.

Best production guitar right now? Taylor, for all the reasons that everyone here hates them - they are manufactured with little or no margin for error due to the CNC process and little human hands-on variable. Try the 200 series if you're budget shopping, they are amazing for the price. My 2001 714ce is easily the best acoustic I own. I just sent mine back to the factory for one of their service packages and it's better than new.

I do love my Gibsons that I bought this past year, amazing instruments and I love the little quirks that make them unique. The sound, history and look of Gibsons can't be beat and they definitely have found a place in my arsenal of guitar tools. Shop around, there are deals to be had if you look for them.

I have probably had my hands on or played 300-400 Martins in my lifetime. I've heard others play them and it was fine, but they are simply too inconsistent for me and I think their overall build quality is horrible. I've never found one I would pay money for and a few I would not have taken if they were free. The CPCPA series is funny, it looks like they were trying to copy Taylor with bad results...that should tell you volumes about Taylor's presence in today's guitar market when other manufacturers attempt to copy what they are doing.

To each his own.

Archived