• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6000.00 for an SG with false aging

#1 User is offline   bigtim 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationMiddle TN

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

I just do not get it. But it does have a 5 ply pickguard!!

https://www.musician...0custom&index=1

Paranoid Redneck Here ...............Stay away from that Gibson Acoustic room!!! Those Educated Commies in there will get you!!!

#2 User is online   AngelDeVille 

• Beware of internet experts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:03 PM

If I'm paying that much I want one of the old cardboard cases with a broken handle, and duct tape holding it together as well.

Bad Gibson!
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600...

#3 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Uncle Meat
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:53 PM

View PostAngelDeVille, on 15 February 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

If I'm paying that much I want one of the old cardboard cases with a broken handle, and duct tape holding it together as well.

Bad Gibson!

Yep, as far as I am concerned it can sit at the MF warehouse.

#4 User is offline   arcticsg 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:15 PM

AngelDeVille said:

1550253811[/url]' post='1977792']

Bad Gibson!

lol
"Just say NO to Richlite fretboards" Posted Image

#5 User is offline   arcticsg 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:24 PM

That's just insane! I have never understood the fascination with fake relics, road wear, or basically, "let me trash your guitar for you, and charge extra for it" models. I don't get it?? Posted Image
"Just say NO to Richlite fretboards" Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Dadgad1046 

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:25 PM

Its not a Relic its a Loony Bin Luxury...
If a guy has the money he can waste it any way he wants. But some of us just might think his noggin is out of tune.
Back up my Hard Drive? How do I put it in reverse?

#7 User is online   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

It's probably a typo.
$600.00 not $6000.00

They need a new proof reader.
The poodle bites, the poodle chews it

#8 User is offline   bigtim 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMiddle TN

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

Bad Gibson!

with a broken hinge too and a Rat Fink sticker on it
Paranoid Redneck Here ...............Stay away from that Gibson Acoustic room!!! Those Educated Commies in there will get you!!!

#9 User is offline   bigtim 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMiddle TN

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

View PostSteveFord, on 15 February 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

It's probably a typo.
$600.00 not $6000.00

They need a new proof reader.

Well that makes it a little better!!

#10 User is offline   01GT eibach 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostDadgad1046, on 15 February 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

... its a Loony Bin Luxury... If a guy has the money he can waste it any way he wants...

I 100% agree with the consensus. But at the end of the day, it is a "limited edition Gibson custom shop" which I think is the biggest driver here. I remember that I thought the Fender Road Worn was a crazy idea ... basically a "low cost relic" guitar. Fender is still making a bunch of money off that idea with many Road Worns still listed as "top sellers" for Guitar Center. And then at then end of the day, as guitar players that take such care of their guitars (my Gibson SG Standard is 40 years old this year), buying something beat up off the rack is just not in our DNA.
"Laughing out loud with fear and hope, I have a desperate plan..."

#11 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Uncle Meat
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:15 AM

View Post01GT eibach, on 16 February 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

I 100% agree with the consensus. But at the end of the day, it is a "limited edition Gibson custom shop" which I think is the biggest driver here. I remember that I thought the Fender Road Worn was a crazy idea ... basically a "low cost relic" guitar. Fender is still making a bunch of money off that idea with many Road Worns still listed as "top sellers" for Guitar Center. And then at then end of the day, as guitar players that take such care of their guitars (my Gibson SG Standard is 40 years old this year), buying something beat up off the rack is just not in our DNA.

Didn't PT Barmun say there is a sucker born every minute. Yeah enough with the new guitars that look old already. They will get there just give it time.

#12 User is offline   deeman 

• Alt-Rocker
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:31 AM

Gibson and Fender have been producing relic guitars for many thousands of dollars for like a decade now. If there weren't a market for them they wouldn't continue to make them. I'm not sure who these people are that are buying them, but they must exist.

#13 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Uncle Meat
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

View Postdeeman, on 18 February 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

Gibson and Fender have been producing relic guitars for many thousands of dollars for like a decade now. If there weren't a market for them they wouldn't continue to make them. I'm not sure who these people are that are buying them, but they must exist.

My guess are Collectors and Hipsters who think its cool. Like the one poster said who buy a new car and says kick in the front quarter panel and road wear it for me, my friends will think it looks aged and cool. Give me a break.

#14 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMetro Detroit, MI

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:50 AM

I personally don't get the whole reliced thing these days with guitars. And you pay a lot more for someone to ding up the guitar. The claim is that it breaks in the guitar or something like that... I can do that myself, thank you. And MAYBE, just MAYBE I get the relicing on the fretboard, but to needlessly scratch up the body's finish... I have guitars that look nearly brand new that are over 20 years old, and they are definitely broken-in feeling when you play 'em. Overall, to each and to their own I guess. I always feel that if that's what you want, go for it. My opinions are just that and no one has to listen to mine. Relicing is just not my gig for guitars. Mostly, I just don't buy what the claim is for purposefully dinging up a guitar... and I do just fine damaging my own guitars aesthetics Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Wmachine 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 18 February 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

I personally don't get the whole reliced thing these days with guitars. And you pay a lot more for someone to ding up the guitar. The claim is that it breaks in the guitar or something like that... I can do that myself, thank you. And MAYBE, just MAYBE I get the relicing on the fretboard, but to needlessly scratch up the body's finish... I have guitars that look nearly brand new that are over 20 years old, and they are definitely broken-in feeling when you play 'em. Overall, to each and to their own I guess. I always feel that if that's what you want, go for it. My opinions are just that and no one has to listen to mine. Relicing is just not my gig for guitars. Mostly, I just don't buy what the claim is for purposefully dinging up a guitar... and I do just fine damaging my own guitars aesthetics Posted Image
If the claim it is some kind of "breaking in", that's the sorriest attempt to justify it I've heard yet. It does nothing to break in a guitar.
Nice to be in some rational company here. I see the problem to be that someone wants to buy what is earned. They are pretenders that want the end without taking the trip. They want to look like they did something they didn't do. Real wear is cool. That's why they want it. Fake wear is damage, but nobody wants to own up to it. They'd rather live in a fantasy.The only trouble is, the market get flooded with broken dreams competing with real, tangible experience.

This post has been edited by Wmachine: 18 February 2019 - 03:11 PM

#16 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Salvation A La Mode and a LP TV
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

Paying 6 grand for a guitar that looks like its beat up seems a bit crazy to me. When my Gibsons started getting worn out looking, I sold them and got pristine virgin guitars that I could put my own dents, scratches and watch the nitro finish check naturally...

Extra note .... I did look at getting a Stevie Ray Strat, but only so I could have a left hand tremolo on a right hand guitar..

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 18 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

P-90's Rule.. Posted ImagePosted Image . But not for everyone...

#17 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Uncle Meat
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:53 PM

Hey all guitarist. Send me your new guitar and I will, free of charge beat the s-hit out of your guitar for absolutely not one dime. Just pay shipping both way, and as always results may vary.

This post has been edited by FZ Fan: 18 February 2019 - 03:54 PM

#18 User is offline   RowdyMoon 

• Experience Wilsonia
  • LocationCourtice, Ontario

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:08 PM

Bad Gibson!

it's $8500 Canadian ..at that price I can get an original 1967 SG.....so ya......don't get me wrong Gibson custom shop stuff is great...but at that price I would rather have an original.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users