Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

BluesKing777

One brand new Taylor "Builder's Edition" 717e.

Torrefied Sitka top/ Rosewood back and sides.

I thought I better post it here before you sticky beaks see my post on AGF later.... [biggrin]

I am still getting to know it but it is fab acoustically and plugged. It could be the first one (sale) in my country....I was told

iQEeTkph.jpg

EOgrzLYh.jpg

7dZBhWAh.jpg

43soPCBh.jpg

and the new design case:

QbJpcFyh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Don't forget, never stack guitars more than 8 high.

Nicely understated, loving the absence of p'guard. I'm surprised any new quality guitars come like that. Hope you like it long time.

Pretty sure I'll never get to experience a NGD again, so I live vicariously through you guys.

Edited by jedzep

Now you can join in on the Great V Brace debate over at AGF.

I do have to give Taylor credit as he is the first builder to break into the Gibson & Martin Club since Guild without acquiring the booteek label.

I agree with FZFan that the guitar is beautifully appointed without crossing the line of good taste.

Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it.

Nice looking guitar.

I've always been impressed with Taylor guitars and the business itself, especially Bob Taylor.

Unfortunately I never seem to bond with them and they eventually get sold off. I've owned a few.

I just sold my 814 a few weeks ago so I am currently Taylor free.

I compared the 814 to the Martin OMCPA1 Plus and decided to keep the Martin.

Thanks all!

I have only known her for a day, so.....

First up, I would say it is more Lowden than Martin/Gibson - the design is for a ‘balanced’ sound from all frequencies, very Lowden in that way. I love the big Lowden for fingerpicking, no boomy bass to have to damp. This is the same. The satin finish and wood binding is Lowden like too.

So how did I get here?

I have always had trouble with my garage roller door and in January, high wind caught it and it went through the garage ceiling. So the guitar fund was going to fix the door and ceiling and I got some quotes and met some local criminals and it became obvious that a repair was going to be really expensive. So we got on to the Insurance and all their delays and a 6 or 7 week wait. And uncertainty about the guitar fund! But last Tuesday a whole team turned up - old door down a 6.30am, plasterers pulled off the old ceiling at 7am and spent most of the day putting up a new ceiling. New door and electricals went in late afternoon. The glue on the ceiling had to dry and Thursday a sanding crew came at 7am, followed by the painters...all project managed by phone. All done well and efficiently by a much larger crew than I imagined!

And the guitar fund was intact!

So I decided on the guitar...I was going, I was not going, I was going.....2 shops I know had one, but the one not far from me was really expensive on their web page and I weighed up paying the extra vs driving hours....guitar fund being flush, I went for the close shop. So I walked in, headed straight to the acoustic guitar area and saw it way up high on the wall and had to corner a salesman to get it down. Played it, yep, perfect, “How much?” The salesman wondered off to the office and spoke to his boss and gave me a way nicer price! AND they had a Saturday 20% Off Sale! I assumed that was for their.....err...junk, but NO......20% off the good price!!! “Really?” Is all I spluttered.....

Mine!

BluesKing777.

Mine!

BluesKing777.

Good catch!

You gonna release something else to make room for it, or just let them pile up until the floor caves in? You must have a hundred sitting around by now. So many guitars; so little time!

Yes, I did think it was a bit peculiar, all this pleasantry.... [mellow]

Thoughts so far...early, early days:

I don’t think J45 type buyers would like it, unless they want a slope shoulder with a nice pickup...totally different sound than a J45 with bass thump - more concerned would be Lowden F size buyers who want a nice pickup to plug straight in, or current Taylor owners who want a guitar less bright. The guitar is designed to have even string balance like all the 00/000/OM sounds....fingerpicking is easier without having to allow for extra bass like a D28. No flab.

And if I like the neck, to me it is a fab design, not a lot of skinny neck likers will. This Builder’s Edition neck is chunkier than normal Taylors with a ‘compound’ neck cut with a smooth V in the first positions that transitions to a fat C up higher. 1 3/4” nut or I wouldn’t have bought it.

There are no shortage of promo videos, including some at Music Villa.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Rosewood and ebony ?

What a great idea.

[thumbup]

It is a great idea- Gibson has produced runs of j45 rosewood models with ebony, and i have a Martin jumbo and a Whipple Creek om, both of which have rosewood b/s with ebony bridge and fretboard.

Nice looking Taylor, the youtube samples have sounded very good, not like that shrill crinkly tinny-ness I usually associate with Taylor.

Yes, they make one with Mahogany as well, but I went Rosewood because........there isn’t much Rosewood in my house, and I liked the tone on the videos a bit better. This was a fairly heavily researched buy and I knew way more about the guitar than most, except I hadn’t actually played one! [wink]

The shop I bought it from had possibly one other higher price guitar in their acoustic room, a full gloss abalone laden Taylor GA. Mine was next to it. And there was a wall of the local Cole Clarks, a wall of local Matons, a couple of cheaper model Martins and a lot of ‘no names’ they sell to their music students.

I had practiced all morning, arrived at the music shop with a head of steam from negotiating the roads, asked to play mine and stopped in my tracks at the feel of the neck for a moment, then charged through a few different guitar styles, asked for a capo, played the other $10K !!! Taylor, played mine with the capo with a blindingly fast nervous energy excitement driven medley of Gary Davis, said strangely calmly: “Hmmm, what do these go for?” And the guy’s mouth was a little bit ajar......a bit of sales process and I was gone and they probably thought WTF was that?

BluesKing777.

Hahaha! I can picture that. I know why his mouth hung open.

They have had their revenge, JZ - the sucker has Mediums on it and I have hurt my dainty Lights players. And my rotor cuff was complaining from the wider lower bout.

Last night after walking the dog, I said to the Boss: “I thought you would probably ask me to play you some tunes on my new guitar”. I mean, poor girl has heard all of it for nearly 40 years and would probably rather poke herself in the eye, truth! But we had a singalong of sorts, which means me playing all her requests and having to answer silly questions about capos while I was....etc.

But on and upwards we must go. I need to change those strings and also try the Taylor slide made of Ebony I picked up.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777