Gibson Brands Forums

I don't skateboard or play electric but these are cool

jannusguy2

They're made by The Skate Guitar Company. I don't think they have a website (yet). Here's a link to their Facebook page. I think they're cool as hell. I used to skateboard back before my knees were shot (from skateboarding...haha). Even the necks are made from old decks. My favorite thing is how they use a Strat styled jack, but mount it backwards. That's so cool! They actually sound pretty good too. Kinda bright, as they're all maple.

My favorite thing is how they use a Strat styled jack, but mount it backwards.

Was a brief time there end of the 70's early 80's everyone was doing that.

Ok, well, maybe not everyone.

rct

Thanks Twiz! I used to skate a lot too. Broke my femur and of course ruined all of my clothes and generally hurt myself until I quit :P

My problem was that I sucked at skating haha. I have a friend who is so good at skating though. It makes me a little jealous

Where can you buy these? I'm curious how much they cost. They look sick

• Upvote 1

.... Where can you buy these? I'm curious how much they cost. They look sick

Hell yah!

Looks like they're in Buenos Aires. $1000 US plus shipping. . skateguitars@gmail.com (see below)

From the head dude:

Dear friends, we thank you for the interest in our work. In the last few weeks we receive hundreds of enquiries from all over the world and we want to give an answer to everyone. The Skate Guitar is a team design made by Ezequiel Galasso (luthier) and Gianfranco De Gennaro (Pro Skater and guitar player). It's build based on skateboards reuse. With two used or broken skateboards we make a complete guitar, body and neck. Our intention is to achieve a simple and functional instrument, using the quality of the laminated maple, a 24” ¾ scale and the accessories selected according to the particular style of each skateboard. Our instruments are completely handmade, one by one, by Ezequiel Galasso in our workshop located in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

http://www.facebook.com/galassoguitars

It's not our intention to lose the essence of our handcrafted method and our philosophy about how things should be. That is why, on account of the highly interest we got, we are trying to find the way so everyone that wants to can have a Skate Guitar. Right now we can only release small series every now and then. The basic Skate Guitar's price is US$ 1000 plus shipping costs. We propose to all of those who have interest in having one to send us an e-mail to skateguitars@gmail.com with the label “Quiero mi Skate Guitar” (“I want my Skate Guitar”) and we'll add you to a priority list and we'll let you know about our latest things. Any suggestions are welcome and properly debated.

Thank you very much again!

Yours,

Ezequiel Galasso

Gianfranco De Gennaro Gilmour

Was a brief time there end of the 70's early 80's everyone was doing that.

Ok, well, maybe not everyone.

rct

The Surf Punks were the first ones I saw do this. Woulda been early 80s. Looked way cooler than it sounded! [biggrin]

The Surf Punks were the first ones I saw do this. Woulda been early 80s. Looked way cooler than it sounded! [biggrin]

I had a walnut(colored) 7d...5 strat that I did that to. For a month. Flailing around with that thing sticking out just wasn't a good idea, you don't realize how much yer hand goes by there whilst windmilling away at O'Riley until there is something there!

rct

When I got out of college, and rebelled against my years in school, I started a Skateboard/Roller Skate shop in the Midwest. That was in 1976 or 77. It was great fun and the parks were heavy all over the country (huge ones too).

A different breed of "skater" exist now bred from the streets. You should see what the "Skate Rats" do to beautiful new Harley's. Makes me want to cry to see them spray can over a beautiful & PERFECT factory baked paint scheme.

The board guitars look cool but I wouldn't pay much over $50 for the parts. Bet they don't really sound that good. Would rather have a DOOR guitar or cigar box Bo Diddly style I reckon. [biggrin]

Aster

• 7 years later...

Played electric. 
And acoustic. 
All through Jr High and High School. 
Never rode a skateboard. 

Can't recall anybody I knew in all my travels who rode a skateboard during my Junior High and High School years. 
It just wasn't a thing where I was (in Germany, and then lower-Alabama), I guess. 

I mean, we rode motorcycles and raced motocross and all that.
But skateboards weren't around. 

My younger brother got into it, and it was a thing apparently out and around, after I went off into the Army in 1978. 

I must confess that I am glad I missed it. 
I would have busted my ***, surely. 

😑

Edited by sparquelito

I used to build my own skateboards out of an old metal skate nailed on to a piece of wood, this evolved to a custom piece of wood made in woodshop with skate rink skates screwed on. This was well before skateboards were commercially available. It may have been a California thing as it was the land of sidewalks, lots of new concrete everywhere...

Edited by mihcmac

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

I used to build my own skateboards out of an old metal skate nailed on to a piece of wood, this evolved to a custom piece of wood made in woodshop with skate rink skates screwed on. This was well before skateboards were commercially available. It may have been a California thing as it was the land of sidewalks, lots of new concrete everywhere...

I thought it was some drought way back when that all the pools were empty in Cali and the skate rats discovered skating in pools....  and the rest is history.

14 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I thought it was some drought way back when that all the pools were empty in Cali and the skate rats discovered skating in pools....  and the rest is history.

And teenagers ankles and wrists were never the same again.

25 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I built my first skateboard in the late 50's. But there were other Cali firsts as well, maybe, like taking a large tricycle, removing the forks and turning the frame upside down then putting the forks back on creating the first big wheel.

Edited by mihcmac

On 11/17/2020 at 8:01 PM, sparquelito said:

Played electric. 
And acoustic. 
All through Jr High and High School. 
Never rode a skateboard. 

Can't recall anybody I knew in all my travels who rode a skateboard during my Junior High and High School years. 
It just wasn't a thing where I was (in Germany, and then lower-Alabama), I guess. 

I mean, we rode motorcycles and raced motocross and all that.
But skateboards weren't around. 

My younger brother got into it, and it was a thing apparently out and around, after I went off into the Army in 1978. 

I must confess that I am glad I missed it. 
I would have busted my ***, surely. 

😑

I didn't do daredevil stuff on them but I did ride them some. I rode bikes much more and yes, Played electric and acoustic guitars from 13 years old. in Jr.  high on up.  After graduating and college I graduated to the NHRA and Drag Raced  till after I married. 

• Like 1