Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Adding to the J-35 love-fest (pics added)

nodehopper

Hey ...NGD For me !!!

Only have a few minutes today to post, but a have a question on the J-35..

I went to Guitar Center - (terrible experience) but fell for a J-35 hard. We had a garage sale a couple weekends ago and made a killing so called GC and they had 2 J-35s. Played the one on the wall and was impressed, but then the guy pulled the second one out of the Gibson shipping box and one strum and .....angels sang and I was in love!!! My lovely Wife felt sorry for me working too many 60+ weeks so she actually encouraged me to buy it. Must have been the look of rapture on my face.

Will post the whole (great Gibson guitar but) terrible Guitar Center experience along with some pictures on the forum this weekend when I have a little time.

Until then I have a quick question, The Gibson Specs on the website says it comes with

Strings .011" - .052" Gibson Light Guage. Now I consider those to be Extra lights and is there any issue with using standard lights .012" - .053". I want to change strings to my usual string preference, but wanted to ask so I don't make any mistakes with my new angel...

I am in the beginning of the recording sessions of a new 12 song acoustic studio CD with my grup and yesterday afternoon I was recording with my SJ200 (M-R GIBS) and with my J35 (Mrs Sunny GIBS). Stunning instruments, I tell ya!msp_thumbup.gif

Don't know much about algebra, Don't know much biology, Don't know much about J-35's and so on. All I know is that they aren't yet in Vintage Guitar Guide or in The Acoustic Guitar Blue Book either. Edit, they are in the first book but as a one year wonder. [wink]

11's? Sheesh. Break out the /12s, tweak the action if need be, enjoy.

Is that how Gibson is shipping these things, or was that a GC thing? (ok, the primary market for guitar involves shredders but unlikely a shredder is going to even have a passing interest).

OK so details on my buying experience and update on the new J-35.

First up...Guitar Center totally sucks and I think my experience shows that the GC company encourages false advertising and lying by omission in order to make a sale.

When I walked into the guitar room at GC the J-35 had a sale tag on it with a price below what I was quoted by another online retailer as a sale price. I was jazzed that I wouldn't have to pull out the emailed quote I received and try and hard ball negotiate. (which I really dislike doing) So after playing and falling for my new guitar we checked out and drove home....Once home we double checked the receipt (YES YES I Know I should have done it there at the store, but I was just so excited about getting the guitar of my dreams) Guitar Center charged us $169.00 for the case. WTF! sale price plus case price equaled the Manufacturers Advertised Price. So we ended up getting ZERO discount even though we were told the guitar was "On Sale". We immediately called the sales guy we had worked and his attitude on the phone immediately sounded adversarial and condescending toward us. He said that in fine print on the sale tag it said that the case was sold separately and in an even more condescending manner said we should have looked closer! Maybe I am wrong but shouldn't that have been mentioned at some point during the sale???

I totally feel lied to, especially since he came back from the warehouse with the second J-35 he had in stock ....when he pulled it out of the Gibson shipping box he pulled the case and guitar out together giving it to me....they weren't separate.....when does Gibson sell guitar and case separately on an acoustic guitar? Just very shady and I am done with guitar center and will never shop there again.

So Wednesday overnight I ran my ToneRite on my new J-35 then Thursday night I changed strings to 12-53 standard light gauge and installed some bone bridge pins I had on hand. My WOW sounding guitar is even BETTER. Suddenly with the standard light stings I feel like I simply cannot overdrive the guitar. Last night I played it hard and I didn't hear even the slightest hint that it couldn't take more. Then I barely touched the strings and still got a full rich subtle sound. I may just sell all my other guitars now... LOL !!!

The only slight concern I have is after adjusting everything to go with the 12-53 light strings I don't have a ton of saddle left for future adjustments. It shouldn't need to be adjusted for years to come...but I wish guitar manufacturers would make new instruments with tons of saddle height.

Here are some pics......

J-35front.jpg

J-35back.jpg

J-35bridge.jpg

Congrats on the new Guitar.......they are sweet, and I know you will enjoy it!!! Working as hard as you do, you also DESERVE it!!! Take care my friend!!!!

Thanks Wiley... This J-35 reminds me so much looks and sound-wise of your L-20....just like a big brother!

Do you still have that one?

OK so details on my buying experience and update on the new J-35.

Here are some pics......

J-35front.jpg

Nice Pics Node..

regarding the saddle..and lack of.

My J35 is similar...not much saddle on the low bass strings side to play with at all.

Mine had been set up by the store owner..and is just about right..so I think he took it down a little.

I'm wondering if other J35 owners are in the same position.. I was worried about the neck for a while..but I have checked it.. and bridge/string height ect..and it is spot on.

I am wondering if the lack of saddle..especially on the bass side .. has anything to do with the raised bridge on the low string side.. that Gibson employs to give extra strength to the rectangular bridge foot print..

i know some of you know what I'm talking about

the Bridge on most of the Gibsons with the same rectangular bridge, is raised on the bass side, i beleive ~?.... could this effect the amount of saddle needed to give a fairly low action..talking 3/8th ish ?

anyone know ?

Archived