Gibson Brands Forums

Greatest guitar players nobody ever heard of

rct

Billy Jones, The Outlaws

Jim Kreuger, Dave Mason among a zillion others

George Terry, Eric Clapton

Bobby Tench, Van Morrisons Wavelength Band

Paddy Bush, his sister that I would marry if she is reading this

There's 5 right off the top of me nugget. What you got?

rct

I knew a couple of guys who toured with The Outlaws, Tommy and Nino Catanzaro. Tommy plays guitar and Nino plays bass. They are out of this world. Tommy doesn't know a thing about music but wow can he play. Pure natural talent but had a bit of an arrogant swagger about him.

We were watching a Steve Vai video once and he said "I can play like him." Well he's great but not Vai great. So I messed with him. During a tune I said something like "wow that was a classic 7th major transition to a 9th chord back to the dominant" to which he said "yeah I know." Then I said "there is no such thing" and he punched me. Had to mess with him a bit after the Vai comment.

Jake E. Lee (Ozzy, Badlands, Mickey Ratt (the first version of Ratt), Rough Cutt), Richie Scarlet (solo, Ace Frehley band, Sebastian Bach, Mountain, 5th Avenue Vampires (ft. Dennis Dunaway on bass!)), Bruce Kulick (KISS, Grand Funk Railroad, Union, Meatloaf, Eric Singer Project, Blackjack (ft. Michael Bolton!)), Bob Kulick (Bruce's older brother....played on KISS and Paul Stanley records as well as countless others, including Lou Reed and Alice Cooper), Vito Bratta (White Lion), Joey Allen & Erik Turner (Warrant), I could go on and on.

Well I don't know if nobody ever heard of them but I rarely or never hear their names mentioned on here.

Allan Holdsworth

G.E. Smith

Warren Cuccurrullo

Bruce Cockburn (Canadian)

Jack Semple (local but he is as good as it gets)

Billy Bremner. No; not the Scottish International / Leeds United footballer. The one who played with Dave Edmunds and Rockpile

Dave Stewart of 10cc. Woefully under-rated.

Tchavolo Scmidt. A Manouche guitarist who brings something of the humour of Fats Waller into his playing.

Wilco Johnson of Dr. Feelgood.

Danny Kirwan. Greeny's foil in FM. Sheer brilliance.

Steve Gaines. A great shame he was around for such a short time.

Paddy Bush, his sister that I would marry if she is reading this...

[thumbup]

P.

Try this; Jim Mullen, one of Scotland's finest, on an Epi -

Ireland's finest, Louis Stewart -

I'd also like to mention Cal Collins, Al Gafa, Jerry Hahn, Kazumi Watanabe.....

Archived