Gibson Brands Forums

A VERY good start to 2014

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

Anyone who read the "2013" thread will know I wasn't exactly satisfied with my lot recently. I had to walk away from a lot of hard work being self employed and get a job. I want very happy, there had been a chance of a management position that never came and I was feeling rather disillusioned.

Well, the guy who did get the job (an external candidate) left between Christmas and the new year. I was aware that I had given him a pretty hard time in many ways and was worried I was going to be in trouble if he had cited that as a reason to leave.

I had a call from the company director today to ask me to come to his office. Now this is a man who is only in our building occasionally and I thought it was bad news. It wasn't, I am now the manager, reporting to said director and I get a company car (once I get a licence, not generally necessary in London) and a substantial pay rise.

Bring it on 2014!

Guest Farnsbarns

Thanks everyone! The rest of the team were told today, now that was interesting. Actually, most seemed unphased, some reacted by instantly beaming big smiles at me which could not have been faked (Oscars are due if they were) but one seemed none too pleased. I was surprised as she didn't apply, knew I had and I see no reason for her to be unhappy but hey ho. All I can do is to do the job as well as I can, be a supportive yet firm, honest and open manager. The department has been through the mill over the last year or so with managers coming and going, an attempt at having 2 supervisors instead and lots of changes seen half way to fruition and then left by the wayside when people left. I intend to bring a feeling of stability and progress as the first order. I think the guys need it and deserve it.

I got lot's of congratulatory emails from around the 5 sites. Mostly other managers as they were told first. Felt good. One said "the hard work starts here...." They're not wrong, that I'm sure of!

Anyone who read the "2013" thread will know I wasn't exactly satisfied with my lot recently. I had to walk away from a lot of hard work being self employed and get a job. I want very happy, there had been a chance of a management position that never came and I was feeling rather disillusioned.

Well, the guy who did get the job (an external candidate) left between Christmas and the new year. I was aware that I had given him a pretty hard time in many ways and was worried I was going to be in trouble if he had cited that as a reason to leave.

I had a call from the company director today to ask me to come to his office. Now this is a man who is only in our building occasionally and I thought it was bad news. It wasn't, I am now the manager, reporting to said director and I get a company car (once I get a licence, not generally necessary in London) and a substantial pay rise.

Bring it on 2014!

Well done Farns!

I remember the thread where you were pi55ed off well. I remember advising you to "let the blood run cold". Well. whatever happened worked out best in the end (it often does.

So the very best for 2014!

Way to go Farnsy!! It's always best to keep the trap shut instead of blowing steam at things that happen. Glad that came around for you and here's to a "manufactured great 2014" as you're on your way. [thumbup]

Really happy for you!!

Archived