Gibson Brands Forums

Lines of songs that you like

Mr. Gibson

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tears from long ago instantly realized?

If all can relate to the emotion conveyed? You see we want to put "them" or us in the moment or "I" , regardless if they were there in reality or not, they can relate or not, because nothing is new under the sun? So be it real, or assimilation to whoever or not, it is real and can happen to you or its futile rap?

I could post on this issue for three days straight, easy, but for me, one always SLAYED the competition:

"Everybody askin' just when they're gonna die /

I think that they should be asking WHY!"

-Motorhead, "Don't waste your time" (1996)

There's so much there. Philosophy, yes, but, fittingly as it was a boogie number - mainly joy and hope.

He hasn't yet been revered for the INCREDIBLE lyricist he was, but I have faith he will be.

"I gotta keep rockin while I still can I gotta two pack habit and a motel tan...when my boots hit the boards I'ma brand new man with my back to the riser I make my stand..."

Steve Earle

SO many great quotes from Steve Earle

NHTom

HMMMMM.............so many greats out there.....

"Well I walked in that bar and I drank myself CRAZY".....Charlie Robison/Loving County

There's a road in Oklahoma, straighter than a preacher, longer than a memory, and it goes forever onward, it's been a good teacher for a lotta country boys like me"......Steve Earle/Nowhere Road

"why I see her face in a million stars, I'm wondering, thought I had good taste 'til I found I'd none at all" The Wildhearts/Suckerpunch

"Into your illusion, I'll make my intrusion, Anytime, anyplace, anywhere. The hour glass is draining fast, It knows no future holds no past, And all this to will come to pass Never, forever, whatever." Soul Asylum/Sometime To Return

"Stealing Beer from the Circle K, we got no money but it's more fun anyway!" Junkyard/Faded

"An Honest man's pillow is his piece of mind" John Mellancamp/Minutes to Memories

"I wish my beer was as cold as your heart"..Phil X and the Drills

"When I was young, I was so full of fear, I hid behind anger, held back the tears, It was me against the world, I was sure that I'd win

The world fought back, punished me for my sins" Social Distortion/I Was Wrong

NHTom

You know it brutha. One of my favorite writers ever.

"Someday I'll put her on that interstate and never look back..."

Every time me and The Mrs drive across this country we start with Someday!

rct

I don't know why, but every time I hear this on the radio, I turn the volume up. "On the first part of the journey I was looking at all the life, there were plants and birds and rocks and things, there was sand and hills and rings. The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz and the sky with no clouds. The heat was hot and the ground was dry, but the air was full of sound. I've been through the desert on a horse with no name, it felt good to be out of the rain. In the desert you can remember your name, 'cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain" ..... And it seems I'm always visually putting myself in that song on that horse with no name.

"You can travel on 10,000 miles and still stay where you are" W.O.L.D. Harry Chapin

He had some great lines many of which were never on the radio. More of a story teller than great musician.

NHTom

Giddy up... and back from him the same can be said for Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark.

A couple that spring to mind...

Pack up all your dishes.

Make note of all good wishes.

Say goodbye to the landlord for me.

That son of a ***** has always bored me

- Guy Clark "LA Freeway"

Living on the road my friend,

Is gonna keep you free and clean

Now you wear your skin like iron,

And your breath as hard as kerosene.

- Townes Van Zandt - Pancho & Lefty

I'd play the Red River Valley and he'd sit in the kitchen and cry

And run his fingers through seventy years of livin'

And wonder Lord has every well I drilled gone dry

We was friends me and this old man

We're like desperados waiting for the train...

- Guy Clark "Desperados Waiting For a Train"

There are a lot of fine examples so far of great lyrics. One of the ones I probably would have cited myself is the Bob Seger line from the OP.

Sometimes though, rather than some deep philosophical line or a heavy heart-touching one, I prefer a simple, almost mundane line that can capture a little piece of regular life. You know, a line with only a few words but it can imply much more than it actually says. :-k

For example, there's a line from the Sheryl Crow song "All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun". She's singing about drinking beer before noon in some local yokel bar. Just before the chorus, she sings " and the bartender looks up from his want ads".....

That's such a simple, almost throw-away line, but I've always thought it was perfect.

Met my old lover in the grocery store, the snow was falling, Christmas Eve. I stole behind her in the frozen foods, And I touched her on the sleeve. She didn't recognize the face at first, But then her eyes flew open wide. She went to hug me and she spilled her purse. And we laughed until we cried! "Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg. I miss him, he wrote and sang great stuff.

Met my old lover in the grocery store, the snow was falling, Christmas Eve. I stole behind her in the frozen foods, And I touched her on the sleeve. She didn't recognize the face at first, But then her eyes flew open wide. She went to hug me and she spilled her purse. And we laughed until we cried! "Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg. I miss him, he wrote and sang great stuff.

Oh man. Written inside our wedding rings is

Longer Than...

rct

Past corrugated tin shacks full up with kids

Oh man I don't mean a Hampstead nursery

When you own a big chunk of the bloody third world

The babies just come with the scenery

The middle of the road is no private cul-de-sac

I can't get from the cab to the curb

Without some little jerk on my back

Don't harass me, can't you tell

I'm going home, I'm tired as hell