Gibson Brands Forums

Old friend is back

Hogeye

So.... I'm out at the local supermarket and am pushing a big load off groceries. I looked up and there he was just standing there with a big grin on his face.

Ren Ferguson has turned in his resignation and is in the process of moving back to Bozeman. He is retiring after all these years. We are going to have lunch as soon as he gets his stuff back home from California. I'll keep you posted if any of you even know who he is or are interested.

Hogeye

I'm sad to see Ren leave Guild. It is a brand that has given me decades of musical enjoyment, and having USA-made Guilds return to a viable niche in the guitar market could only be a good thing for players everywhere.

I will hope that Ren is leaving the Oxnard facility in good hands, and that his efforts in that endeavor will continue to grow and prosper.

Definitely keep us posted. Why not talk him in to joining in here?

Good idea - but an even better could be to establish a Ren's Corner* - fx like a pinned thread - where he once or twice every fortnight chose to answer Q's from this bunch.

Those questions should be posted as behind-curtain messages he then could pick after relevance etc. and bring like Q & A's on the page.

It would be a hit, , ,

, , , and a splendid way for Ferguson to refresh all those details from the trail behind him.

*Could also be called Ren's Ring, , , or even Ren's Rosette. .

Ren may be credited with a "Golden Age of Gibsons" decades from now when the ones we have that he directly influenced come to be appreciated in the cold, hard light of the eyes of players many years from now. I wish him the peace and joy and sense of fulfillment that comes with our personal "Golden Years" of retirement. I looked forward to leaving the tedious trials and tribulations of work behind and doing new, different and exciting things I hadn't had time to in the past. Acoustic guitars was #1 on my list. What does a Guitar Guru look forward to when he retires? Maybe just immerse oneself in the joy of playing without having to fight with Nashville over pic guard material? Coming here to hear about "runout" might be very low on his bucket list.

Definitely keep us posted. Why not talk him in to joining in here?

And don't be so scarce around here yourself.

I'll try to see if he will join but don't hold out to much hope. He missed bow hunting season and will spend the rest of the fall with a rifle in his hands. He won't admit it but his wife is the better shot. I hope he doesn't read this.

I'm curious, if someone can tell me if Ren was still with Gibson when the guitars as part of the John Thomas run were made in 2013 ?

I think he left towards the end of 2011. He was not there in 2013 though, he was in New Hartford, CT with Guild, building Orpheums, great guitars by the way.

Interesting. I just received a notice from Chicago Music Exchange about Pre-Ordering the new Guild USA D40s. Might be the last models he oversaw.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/collections/guild/pre-order?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160909-new-arrivals

Here is a video demo of them below. I thought they sounded pretty good but the guy playing had a really heavy attack which caused some buzzing (at least to me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s31v1nqSVZ0&feature=youtu.be

Interesting. I just received a notice from Chicago Music Exchange about Pre-Ordering the new Guild USA D40s. Might be the last models he oversaw.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/collections/guild/pre-order?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160909-new-arrivals

Here is a video demo of them below. I thought they sounded pretty good but the guy playing had a really heavy attack which caused some buzzing (at least to me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s31v1nqSVZ0&feature=youtu.be

Do you think they asked him deliberately to rock a Ritchie Havens look for the D40 video?

Sad news for Guild, but he gave them the start they need to do everything right. I hope he feels good about leaving and good about retiring. I know he will never "retire," but he deserves for his time to be his own.

He gave Gibson Acoustics their golden age and set Guild off to have their own. His fingerprints are all over several guitars I own, not least of which a new Guild D-20, a Gibson WM-00 from his time there, and of course my three other Gibsons that would never have existed if not for him.

Very pleased I grabbed my Guild D-20 when I did so I can say it's not just from the house Ren built but while he was building it.

Archived