Gibson Brands Forums

Easily-angered Craigslist guy

sparquelito

Anybody ever have this happen?

I texted a fellow who had a used guitar listed on Craigslist yesterday. (The guy didn't have a contact email, just a local phone number.)

He was looking to sell an off-brand MIJ Les Paul clone, and I was curious about the guitar's history and construction. We traded a few friendly texts, and chatted about our mutual love of guitars and gear.

Around mid-morning, he asked me to name my price.

I let him know that I wasn't a particularly serious buyer, but was rather just interested in learning something about the guitar. He reacted angrily.

"Well, why don't you just go waste somebody else's time then? WTF??"

I apologized sincerely, but he continued to berate give me a ration of s#!t.

I told him, "Look, I apologized for wasting your time, what else do you want me to do?"

He replied, "I 'd like you to f%&k-off!"

Geez.

Have any of you ever encountered such an angry and violent reaction to a simple guitar query before?

[crying] :unsure:

shutterstock_247316740-450x301.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Sounds like you wasted his time and he wasn't shy about telling you that it peed him off. I think I'd have chosen different words but expressed just about the same sentiment myself.

Sounds like you wasted his time and he wasn't shy about telling you that it peed him off. I think I'd have chosen different words but expressed just about the same sentiment myself.

He will never get those 5 seconds back that were wasted by reading a text. msp_unsure.gif

"Geez.

Have any of you ever encountered such an angry and violent reaction to a simple guitar query before?"

Ah, but it wasn't a simple guitar query. You were responding to a for-sale ad, not a social posting about a cool guitar. You wasted the guys time and got his hopes up. He did overreact though.

Guest Farnsbarns

He will never get those 5 seconds back that were wasted by reading a text. msp_unsure.gif

It wasn't 'a' text...

We traded a few friendly texts, and chatted about our mutual love of guitars and gear.

I let him know that I wasn't a particularly serious buyer

I'd have been annoyed as well. Who responds to a classified ad for a flipping chat?

**** a buncha dang freaks on craigslist. Buy guitars at the store.

rct

Very good advice, and I am leaning more and more toward avoiding Craigslist altogether.

To be fair, I have done a fair amount of buying and selling on Craigslist, and I guess I have just been lucky, in the past anyway.

Everybody has always been genteel, polite, and cordial. Whether buying, selling, or just exploring the market.

And I have often gone out of my way to make the transaction easier for the other guy.

This fellow's reaction, as much as many of you feel it to be reasonable under the circumstance, just struck me as a bit unhinged.

"Look pal, you wasted my time. Don't ever contact me again!"

That I could understand, and fully support.

"I'd like you to f%k-off!" just seemed to be uncalled for.

Oh well.

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

I really do appreciate the advice, warts and all.

I'll consider this one for the 'live and learn' notebook.

:unsure:

It wasn't 'a' text...

I'd have been annoyed as well. Who responds to a classified ad for a flipping chat?

Sorry. Maybe 5 texts? 30 seconds wasted. I might have been "annoyed" also. But it wouldn't rise to the level of telling someone to 'f@#k off".

I now have some items listed on eBay. Old/vintage photos. Just 2 days ago I had a guy message me about them. He has no bids on them. Just had some questions. I answered them. My quality of life was not impacted in the least by taking a minute to respond to his questions,

Guest Farnsbarns

Sorry. Maybe 5 texts? 30 seconds wasted. I might have been "annoyed" also. But it wouldn't rise to the level of telling someone to 'f@#k off".

I now have some items listed on eBay. Old/vintage photos. Just 2 days ago I had a guy message me about them. He has no bids on them. Just had some questions. I answered them. My quality of life was not impacted in the least by taking a minute to respond to his questions,

Well I said I would have chosen different language but the roundabout meaning would be the same.

Okay, an update;

Everything is cool with the angry Craigslist guy now.

I met him in person, and apologized again, and I gave him $25 for his troubles.

And I gave him a hand-job in the parking lot, so we're pretty much best buddies now.

It's all good.

[crying]

Okay, an update;

And I gave him a hand-job in the parking lot, so we're pretty much best buddies now.

It's all good.

[crying]

I kinda feel like a heartfelt "sorry" would have been enough...

Must be a nevertrumper!

Sound like he could use an enema.

Maybe he can't get a stiffy anymore.

His dog just got run over.

His wife ran off with his tax accountant.

He got fired.

Lost his wallet.

Smoked all of his remaining stems this morning.

Suffers from prematurejaculation.

Is going deaf.

Drives a Prius.

Voted for Hillary.

Has a bad case of poison oak around his crotch area.

Can't shoot par anymore.

His boat sank.

Sounds like a real winner.

Anybody ever have this happen?

I texted a fellow who had a used guitar listed on Craigslist yesterday. (The guy didn't have a contact email, just a local phone number.)

He was looking to sell an off-brand MIJ Les Paul clone, and I was curious about the guitar's history and construction. We traded a few friendly texts, and chatted about our mutual love of guitars and gear.

I let him know that I wasn't a particularly serious buyer, but was rather just interested in learning something about the guitar. He reacted angrily.

"Well, why don't you just go waste somebody else's time then? WTF??"

I apologized sincerely, but he continued to berate give me a ration of s#!t.

I told him, "Look, I apologized for wasting your time, what else do you want me to do?"

He replied, "I 'd like you to f%&k-off!"

Geez.

Have any of you ever encountered such an angry and violent reaction to a simple guitar query before?

[crying] :unsure:

shutterstock_247316740-450x301.jpg

That's Craigslist for you. I've had some good luck out of it, but encountered some jerks, too. I've had a bad experience with a jerk, too. About 3 years ago or so, there was an MXR pedal I was interested in listed on there. It was an overdrive. Called the guy and he said he'd bring it by after he got off of work and said he'd call or text when he's on his way. Well, around an hour passes after the time he said he'd call or text and no word from the guy. Call to make sure if everything was still legit and he gets super hateful. Basically told him to take the pedal and stick it up his butt after acting like that. There was no need for the guy to act like that.

Some people are grouchier than others...

Me? Never! :unsure:

Me neither, easy to get along with. But could you imagine walking into GC. and looking then ask the sales guy a question and he tells you to stick it up your butt? Ha Ha

Okay, an update;

It's all good.

[crying]

Oh, Sparky...I hope the hand job was a hand shake and not the other? msp_confused.gifmsp_confused.gif

I had reasonable good luck selling a few things, once I realized how many scammers and hacks are trolling the sites.

As a rule, I stay the hell away from it now.

I barely have the patience to deal with Ebay and Paypal.

I had reasonable good luck selling a few things, once I realized how many scammers and hacks are trolling the sites.

As a rule, I stay the hell away from it now.

I barely have the patience to deal with Ebay and Paypal.

I got so many BS text messages from scammers when I would post something of Craigslist, giving some sob story about they want to purchase this for their son who is in the military, they can send a check blah blah blah ...

It got to where I would just respond "GO F YOURSELF".

I'm looking at buying a Fender Strat 12 string from a guy but he doesn't want to show pictures. I told him I'm a buyer if it looks good and plays good because he's only asking $250.00. I asked for pictures and told him I wanted a Fender and not a Squier. I'm not going to drive 4 hours (where he lives) or even 2 hours sight unseen. If that ticks him off, I'll keep my money. I don't buy things online from Ebay or Craigslist and I'd definitely want to know a bit about the instrument or equipment if I were looking at a purchase.

Glad it all worked out for you and him though. He probably just got his hopes up and felt like it was a waste of time but his reaction was uncalled for.

I got so many BS text messages from scammers when I would post something of Craigslist, giving some sob story about they want to purchase this for their son who is in the military, they can send a check blah blah blah ...

It got to where I would just respond "GO F YOURSELF".

the best one yet was the craiglist response I got for my Elitist Chet Atkins.

"I will pay you twice what you are asking (which was $1,500). just need your banking information so I can wire the money right to your account"

Yea,, sure ya do, let me get my account and routing info to you right away.... LOL!

Archived