Gibson Brands Forums

The Paul: Back after 40 years

Rabs

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/The-Paul-40th-Anniversary-2019.aspx

$1,399

"The Paul" features the same vibe and walnut construction as when it was first introduced 40 years ago. The solid walnut body features scarfing around the perimeter of the top and back to provide comfort and visual appeal. Crafted of Grade-A quarter sawn walnut, the neck features a rounded profile with a rosewood fingerboard for a smooth feel and tonality. The Vintage Gloss finish not only accentuates the natural look of the walnut body and neck but lends a fast and friendly feel to the neck. The Paul is equipped with a calibrated set of pickups for added performance. The 490R humbucking pickup (neck position) delivers a fat, vintage voice, while the 498T pickup (bridge position) provides tight, high output humbucking performance.

N85a5kI.jpg

P1ZdK0U.jpg

8MuSsZj.jpg

Well... it looks a lot better than the ones from back in the day but, $1,399!? For that price, it should play itself... and well! I can't believe the cost of things these days! I mean, seriously, is it actually worth that much? Is anything worth what we pay nowadays or should we just chalk it up to currency devaluation? Sorry, I'm about to get upset...

Well... it looks a lot better than the ones from back in the day but, $1,399!? For that price, it should play itself... and well! I can't believe the cost of things these days! I mean, seriously, is it actually worth that much? Is anything worth what we pay nowadays or should we just chalk it up to currency devaluation? Sorry, I'm about to get upset...

I don't even bother with the prices any more, yes Gibsons are expensive, just accept it :).. Its still a nice guitar though, doesn't mean I will buy one. And considering a Studio is now $1,699 I guess its about right, well for them anyway.

I've never understood the nostalgia for these things. Where I'm from nobody used them. They hung in the three local stores for long times, the four or five in my area were bricks. Maybe they got better.

rct

I've never understood the nostalgia for these things. Where I'm from nobody used them. They hung in the three local stores for long times, the four or five in my area were bricks. Maybe they got better.

rct

For me its the Walnut, its a Gibson and its Walnut :).. Just a lovely wood... Playability, well ive never actually tried one but I like the looks of them.

I know right? I like the walnut too. I wanted to like them back then. I want to like the...J-15? Just never found one that I would take home.

rct

In looking at its construction I cant see why it would play any better or worse than any other modern LP studio or tribute... I would like to think that this is more of a tribute to the originals rather than being the exact spec they were.. That would just be silly..

They looked good, but I agree with you -- they did not play or sound well (the original ones). There was a reason this model was short lived back in the day. Although, it was way better than a Memphis Les Paul copy ... remember those?

an instructor of mine back in the day had one.........I was blown away by it and thought it sounded incredible.......

then he picked up the P.O.S. guitar that I had and made THAT sound amazing, so I learned that maybe it's the player...lol.

I've played a few over the years....played good, sounded good. For the list price, I'd be looking at a studio or something, but thats just my preference.

NHTom

Looks very nice, but I would prefer the pickup switch up top where it's easier to switch like a Les Paul. Otherwise, it's beautiful.

Since this doesn’t have a top cap there is nowhere to hide the channel for the wires to move the switch up there. I think it looks cool

Yeah, I did not mean to come off as the "hater". They were the entry-level Gibson model, as I recall (?). And they were way more playable than the entry-level Les Paul copies at that time (circa 1980 or so ... those Memphis and other LP copies looked cool, but WERE horrible). Didn't the Paul come with the original Dirty Fingers pups?

They were around the time of the Firebrand series if I remember correctly. Contemporaries of the gold top 335/Les Paul hybrid guitar with the ad featuring Les Dudek (who I've never heard play).

I should add I didn't say I liked the price, I just like the looks of the actual guitar.

They were around the time of the Firebrand series if I remember correctly. Contemporaries of the gold top 335/Les Paul hybrid guitar with the ad featuring Les Dudek (who I've never heard play).

Sure you have! That's him and Dickie on Ramblin' Man. He might even be on Jessica, I don't remember.

rct

I like the look - the simplicity and cleaness of it is really nice. Rabs I think you've built some Walnut guitars, I have a Taylor solid body custom that has a Walnut top and the tone is very dark and woody. Mine has Taylor built mini-humbuckers which are extremely clean and bright so that compensates for the tone of the wood some. This has the 490s which if I recall are pretty hot pick-ups as well. As to the price, well I don't think you can get very many LP models new for less than $1400 so whatareyagonnedo? I think it's a good addition to the Gibson line at the lower end of the price spectrum.

I like the look - the simplicity and cleaness of it is really nice. Rabs I think you've built some Walnut guitars, I have a Taylor solid body custom that has a Walnut top and the tone is very dark and woody. Mine has Taylor built mini-humbuckers which are extremely clean and bright so that compensates for the tone of the wood some. This has the 490s which if I recall are pretty hot pick-ups as well. As to the price, well I don't think you can get very many LP models new for less than $1400 so whatareyagonnedo? I think it's a good addition to the Gibson line at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Yes indeed, I have used black Walnut and I think it was African Walnut in some builds which is how I know its such a nice wood and love working with it (probably more than I do Mahogany).. Exactly as you said. A dark woody sound very much complimented with bright pickups.. Just awesome.

Also I have to say that this and that new SG Special are whats been released since the new boss came in.. If this is his doing, then so far, I approve :)

Archived