Gibson Brands Forums

Let us give thanks for Scotland

rct

Without whom there would be no Scotch.

Without whom there would be no Rob Roy.

And we wouldn't have Michael Symon's Angeline version, Rob Roy In Turin, a delightfully Italian take on the old cocktail.

mmmm...a smokey glass of warm mmmmmm....

rct

• Upvote 2

I am sure this will go over like a fart in church, but here goes ... In contrast, Ireland gave us Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher, and Irish whiskey. Scotland's Bay City Rollers, Average White Band, and Nazareth seem a lot lighter by comparison. I went through a Scotch phase ... these days, though, I much prefer American whiskey (and American beer for that matter).

And as the RnRHoF goes, Thin Lizzy is at least an order of magnitude more deserving than Nazareth. Don't get me wrong -- I like Scotch whiskey and Nazareth ('No Mean City' was one of my favorite albums back in the day). Also, Scotland has a reputation of being extremely friendly and one of the most beautiful places on earth. I am not a hater ... really.

RETTLDIf__57462.1483549589.686.800.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Fres.cloudinary.com%2Fdm1lthkbw%2Fimage%2Fupload%2Fv1512767365%2FmemberUploads%2F98f7b82a-dc91-4737-b325-ef6532e17e9a.jpg

Even when I drank, I couldn't stand their whiskey. I had more of a taste for Wild Turkey washed down with Heineken.

Actually, I think Thin Lizzy AND Nazareth should be in the Hall.

Wild Turkey, I remember doing lots of shots of Wild Turkey younger. Just straight though.

...Ireland gave us Thin Lizzy...

http%3A%2F%2Fres.cloudinary.com%2Fdm1lthkbw%2Fimage%2Fupload%2Fv1512767365%2FmemberUploads%2F98f7b82a-dc91-4737-b325-ef6532e17e9a.jpg

The guy on the left of that snap hails from the extreme east coast of Ireland.........and then across the water a bit.

The guy on the right of that snap hails from the extreme west coast of Ireland......and then across the water a bit.

But yes; Ireland gave us Thin Lizzy.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Dont forget caber tossing. No other people in the world could ever have conceived of that sport, er.. passtime,.. um.. activity! [flapper]

BTW

Wild Turkey. I tried this when I was on my sojourn in USA. It might be the least pleasant experience of the whole 8 months. [cursing]

• Upvote 1

Dont forget caber tossing. No other people in the world could ever have conceived of that sport, er.. passtime,.. um.. activity! [flapper]

Well, we just did what seemed natural to us...perhaps the English indulged in toothpick flipping but no one noticed? [flapper]

• Upvote 1

I though in the Classic TL lineup Robbo was a Scot, Gorham from LA and Phil and the drummer were Irish?

Yes...

If you go to the extreme east (of the northerly bit) of Ireland and go across the water you end up in Scotland.

Similarly if you head to the extreme west of Ireland and cross the water you end up in the USA.

I'm not saying anything at all detrimental about the Irish whatsoever. I'm 1/4 Irish myself and Rory G. was (as many here know) probably the greatest influence on me when I was learning.

Pip.

Went to Scotland on my honeymoon, it was nice - that was enough. Been to Ireland as well. All I can say about those two places is you see HISTORY. Old castles, ruins etc... on the side of the road - really cool. Our house is almost 200 yrs old, we say that's old, and then you go somewhere like Ireland and Scotland, and you're schooled in history! Drivers (both places) are crazy though.

• Upvote 1

Dont forget caber tossing. No other people in the world could ever have conceived of that sport, er.. passtime,.. um.. activity! [flapper]......

True; but we also invented the marginally more popuar pastime which goes by the name of 'Golf'.......famously described by Mark Twain as "..a good walk spoiled."......msp_laugh.gif......

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Went to Scotland on my honeymoon, it was nice - that was enough. Been to Ireland as well...

A friend of mine was considering different characteristics of the two nations and he came up with this;

'In Ireland if you knock on a door at tea-time you will be asked "Will you come in for some dinner?". In Scotland you will be asked "You will have had your dinner?"....'

Pip.

Really, I think Scottish artists are 2nd to no one.

a few examples to make the point:

John Martyn

Ian Anderson

Maggie Bell (& Stone The Crows)

Jack Bruce

Bert Jansch

Mark Knopfler / Dave Knopfler (Dire Straits)

One Scottish singer/songwriter/guitarist who changed the way I thought about 'Traditional' Scottish music was D!ck Gaughan. He used to play the local folk club circuit and seeing him playing solo 6 feet from me was mesmerising; I had never seen anyone playing with anything like his style. I've posted something of his here before and some folks enjoyed it so let's try another one!

Pip.

Really, I think Scottish artists are 2nd to no one.

a few examples to make the point:

John Martyn

Ian Anderson

Maggie Bell (& Stone The Crows)

Jack Bruce

Bert Jansch

Mark Knopfler / Dave Knopfler (Dire Straits)

Do not forget the NIMMO BROTHERS !

If you don't know them : check it out, you'll be surprised !