Gibson Brands Forums

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

Mr. Gibson

On 4/18/2020 at 1:30 AM, fortyearspickn said:

You're getting political.  Again. 

I say he's forgiven. "This is COVID-19 not COVID-1, people" is hilarious in its stupidity, no matter who says it. 

It's not XVID either, btw. Just doing my part/PSA there. 

Edited by Pinch

On 4/19/2020 at 6:45 AM, Pinch said:

Exactly. Even the plague doctors wore masks. 

It'll be "interesting" to see whether the antibodies are any good. If not - uh-oh. Of course, I've no idea how specific the tests are yet. Not particularly enamored with fast-tracked vaccines, either. 

There is a train of thought there may not be a vaccine.  Fingers crossed this immunologist is wrong.

"Professor Ian Frazer, the immunologist who co-invented the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine which prevents cervical cancer, said a coronavirus vaccine was “tricky”.

He told news.com.au that although 100 different teams around the world were testing for vaccines, medical scientists did not have a model of how to attack the virus.

The professor of medicine at Queensland University, which is testing for its own COVID-19 vaccine, said immunisation against coronavirus was similar to immunising against the common cold.

It is tricky, vaccines for upper respiratory tract diseases, because the virus lands on the outside of you, Prof Frazer said.

Think of us as a football, with the skin and respiratory tract on the outside of the football and the lungs are where the outside interfaces with the inside.

The place where the virus lands is outside us and it tries to infect the cells within us.  Our immune system is inside of us. When it lands inside our lungs it tries to infect our cells and succeeds. Our immune system goes to fight the virus and that’s why people get sick.  If the immune system turns on too strong it can cause damage to the lungs.

The wrong vaccine could make things worse so we have to be very selective about what part of the virus we want to attack. If you immunise someone with a vaccine, it goes inside and makes an immune response within you.

What you want is an immune response to migrate out to where the virus lands.  There is no vaccine against the common cold.”

Prof Frazer said that with flu, the immune response inside a person’s body didn’t occur until the flu virus gets inside them.

“We tried to deliver a vaccine to the lungs with the Flu Mist which you snuffed up your nose, delivering the vaccine to the place where you need an immune response, but it didn’t work terribly well,” he said.

Coronavirus doesn’t get into you, it stays on the surface cells in your lungs. All these flu viruses get into you, so the body can fight and makes T cells.

“This virus doesn’t kill the cells, it makes them sick. At the moment we don’t know how to make a coronavirus vaccine work. That’s why there are 100 vaccines under testing using every conceivable approach. We don’t know if any of them will work.

Prof Frazer said a vaccine for the 2003 SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) outbreak was never successfully developed and then the virus burnt out.

SARS broke out in China and didn’t spread as far, partly because overseas travel by the Chinese population was not as great 17 years ago as it is today.

But, Prof Frazer said, it also had diluted potency as it went from host to host.

As it passed from animal to the first human and then through the second human, as it passed through every human it got a little less good at infecting people,” he said. The virus attenuated itself; it got less powerful.

It may well be the same with this virus. It’s not very effective in making us sick. It may become less effective. We are now mapping it as it goes and changes are occurring in its genetic make-up, small changes.  Changes to it in China led to the virus becoming less virulent or sick-making. At the moment it’s not passing through a lot of people in Australia.

Prof Frazer said coronavirus was less infectious and not as deadly as MERS, the Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome or camel flu which broke out in South Korea in 2015.

“MERS was very efficient infecting and making people sick,” he said. One person who went to South Korea from the Middle East infected 170 people and a third of those died. He went through four hospitals before he was diagnosed, but in South Korea they were very effective with contact tracing. MERS is much nastier than coronavirus.

Prof Frazer explained the annual vaccines prepared against the winter flu by the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories (CSL) were not entirely effective.

Each year CSL “takes about a quarter of Australia’s egg supply to make the vaccine,” he said.

Prof Frazer explained the annual vaccines prepared against the winter flu by the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories (CSL) were not entirely effective.

Each year CSL “takes about a quarter of Australia’s egg supply to make the vaccine,” he said. We purify the protein parts of the virus out of the eggs and make the vaccine out of that. But it’s not 100 per cent effective at all … for older people (because) as your immune system gets weaker as you get older.

“With measles you are protected against it for life. The vaccine kills any virus that gets into your blood. We don’t have a mode that works against other coronaviruses.”

Prof Frazer, who is currently developing vaccines for cancer, is working with a team of medical scientists on a trial for a coronavirus treatment drug.

The intervention drug’s purpose is to dampen down the inflammatory response in high-risk coronavirus patients.

He said for 99 per cent of people who got coronavirus it was a trivial illness, but that was not the case for those in the vulnerable categories."

End of quote

Basically, take as much care as you can not to contract Covid-19.  It has to be extremely difficult for many due to the impact of unemployment and social restrictions.  Still, it would be even more worrying if there was a second or third wave which came through.  It happened with the Spanish Flu so I suppose there is no reason not to expect the same with this virus.  A portion of the population may not understand.  Many in this country don't.

Edited by SmokeyGhost

The powers that be are showing us the running totals of COVID 19 and not subtracting those who have recovered or died. My state reports 580 cases which doesn't subtract the 414 recovered or 10 deaths, which would lower the active cases to 156. I wonder if this is to force us to get Bill Gates chip so we can be tracked by the 5G network, injected with the upcoming vaccine. 😩

Edited by mihcmac

On 4/18/2020 at 9:43 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  Potential 6 months in jail if caught outside without one here.  (While the real criminals are being freed!)    

In Texas?

What the hell happened?

I have yet to wear a mask and have been working every day in the Ag. biz.  You only see a few mask's in grocery stores around here, but not by the employees, just elderly customers.

Our county has only had 3 and 2 are recovered. The 3rd might be recovered by now.

I think there are millions more people who have gotten over it, and didn't even know they had it, than they know about.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gibson said:

627 positive  13 deaths 3 positives in my county.

The governor says he's gonna open everything up May 1st.

Theyre protesting at the capital today,I say get the water hoses and dogs after them.

People have a right to protest dude. Even if they shouldn't  

This ain't the Soviet Union!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gibson said:

627 positive  13 deaths 3 positives in my county.

The governor says he's gonna open everything up May 1st.

Theyre protesting at the capital today,I say get the water hoses and dogs after them.

I really hope you're not serious.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Murph said:

In Texas?

What the hell happened?

I have yet to wear a mask and have been working every day in the Ag. biz.  You only see a few mask's in grocery stores around here, but not by the employees, just elderly customers.

Our county has only had 3 and 2 are recovered. The 3rd might be recovered by now.

I think there are millions more people who have gotten over it, and didn't even know they had it, than they know about.

Not in all of Texas - just in San Antonio and the surrounding county. The city mayor and the county judge have a televised 'news conference' every night - always come up with something 'newsworthy'.    Meanwhile,  in NYC, you can get a $1,000 fine for Not Social Distancing.   And Michigan has raised the restrictions to the level of the absurd:  You can go to Walmart to buy food, but all other departments are cordoned off, and you can't even cut your grass!   Every tin pot  politician is trying to show he is tougher on the virus  than anyone else  - and is getting rewarded by the media with free publicity.   Some mayors have their police using drones to find and charge violators.   

A recent study in LA County, based on the random testing of citizens - concluded 400,000 probably had the virus but didn't know it.  The county currently reports 8,000  tested positive.  So - the death rate is probably 0.0008 and not 0.04.  (IE. not 4%  but 8 thousands of a percent). Or 2% of what we've been told.   

Edited by fortyearspickn

Protests in our state capital today and I'm told it was a zoo.  Cars, trucks, motorcycles, pedestrians, cops, you name it.

Lots of out of state license plates, too, so this wasn't a spontaneous uprising, either.

I did my civic duty and stayed the course with social distancing.  I didn't wave a flag but I did wear a black Stetson Pinnacle fedora.

Almost forgot - up 948 cases in PA with 92 deaths since yesterday.  

dv98j21.jpg

h9poZ7P.jpg

Edited by SteveFord

If you're going to cower in fear in your house waiting for a vaccine, you've got a helluva long wait. Perhaps a few years, and they may never find one.

I'm blessed to be working, but if I wasn't I'd be out there protesting and more. Hiding from a virus is simply postponing the day. 

Fresh air and sunshine kills the virus. Get out.

39 minutes ago, Murph said:

Well damn! I'd been betting that the music of Rolf Harris was the most likely way to kill it.

Been listening to that sh!t for2 weeks and I could have just been strolling in the sunshine? 

Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

39 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Well damn! I'd been betting that the music of Rolf Harris was the most likely way to kill it.

Never heard of him, so I googled it. This popped up

"He was convicted in 2014 of the sexual assault of four underage girls, which effectively ended his career."

Never hurt Mick...

If you have any vacation time you could probably get a smoking deal on airfare and cruise ship, plenty of fresh air and sunshine there.

My old happy humping grounds, Greenwich Village in NYC, might be nice to visit this time of year.  It's not too hot and humid so you don't get all sticky walking around.  My nephew, who lives there, says that the streets are surprisingly deserted so you wouldn't have to fight the maddening crowds, either.

You're right, why let a pandemic cramp your style?  

Don't forget, we like pictures!

2 hours ago, Murph said:

If you're going to cower in fear in your house waiting for a vaccine, you've got a helluva long wait. Perhaps a few years, and they may never find one.

I'm blessed to be working, but if I wasn't I'd be out there protesting and more. Hiding from a virus is simply postponing the day. 

fresh air and sunshine DO NOT kill a virus-  stupidity will kill people tho

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Not in all of Texas - just in San Antonio and the surrounding county. The city mayor and the county judge have a televised 'news conference' every night - always come up with something 'newsworthy'.    Meanwhile,  in NYC, you can get a $1,000 fine for Not Social Distancing.   And Michigan has raised the restrictions to the level of the absurd:  You can go to Walmart to buy food, but all other departments are cordoned off, and you can't even cut your grass!   Every tin pot  politician is trying to show he is tougher on the virus  than anyone else  - and is getting rewarded by the media with free publicity.   Some mayors have their police using drones to find and charge violators.   

A recent study in LA County, based on the random testing of citizens - concluded 400,000 probably had the virus but didn't know it.  The county currently reports 8,000  tested positive.  So - the death rate is probably 0.0008 and not 0.04.  (IE. not 4%  but 8 thousands of a percent). Or 2% of what we've been told.   

Was there a conclusion in the study as to how many may have  died from the virus but didn't know it?  Wouldn't that number need to  be included to determine a probable death rate?

11 minutes ago, gdecant1 said:

Was there a conclusion in the study as to how many may have  died from the virus but didn't know it?  Wouldn't that number need to  be included to determine a probable death rate?

Why wouldn't a doctor know what they died of?[confused] I'm confused.

1 hour ago, jvi said:

fresh air and sunshine DO NOT kill a virus-  stupidity will kill people tho

Actually, fresh air and sunshine kills lots of viruses, but unfortunately not this one. 

Black Dog, I'm assuming the jury is still out, but does it look like summer will help us any? 

41 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Why wouldn't a doctor know what they died of?[confused] I'm confused.

Because they weren’t tested. More than likely the cause of death was from complications from the virus, heart failure etc, and the complications would have been listed as the cause of death. I would hope that due to the shortage of testing they would focus on testing the living and not the ones who have suffered and passed. As in the referenced study not everyone was tested.