Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Rabs

Positive stuff from the outbreak

Recommended Posts

What times we are living through hey......

I was thinking though that already we are starting to see some interesting positive effects from this.

Like from what I have read for instance some places like in China they are seeing a massive drop in pollution as people aren't driving as much and some factories that were pumping out nasty crap have closed for the moment. That's a positive I think...  

People coming together. Ok there are always Aholes around to ruin things but I think in general this is making people more aware of other people and how we are all feeling. I donno and stuff like when they asked for volunteers for the NHS we had 500,000 people in one day apply.. That's pretty amazing. I think we will see more of this.

New creative ways to interact with each other using technology...

Brian May becoming our personal teacher  😄

Maybe, hopefully people become more aware of general hygiene.

Families spending more quality time together.. Lots of people work hard and don't get much time with their kids... This is giving people a breather as such.

Ok I know its not all that simple. Some people will be totally screwed because of this and I am not ignoring that..  Just looking for the silver lining if you like.. Its all so negative I want to see where the positives are..

I guess what I am hoping for is we learn a bit from whats happening and use it to make us stronger in the end, not weaker as a species. 

Anyone else got more to add?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rabs said:

What times we are living through hey......

I was thinking though that already we are starting to see some interesting positive effects from this.

Like from what I have read for instance some places like in China they are seeing a massive drop in pollution as people aren't driving as much and some factories that were pumping out nasty crap have closed for the moment. That's a positive I think...  

People coming together. Ok there are always Aholes around to ruin things but I think in general this is making people more aware of other people and how we are all feeling. I donno and stuff like when they asked for volunteers for the NHS we had 500,000 people in one day apply.. That's pretty amazing. I think we will see more of this.

New creative ways to interact with each other using technology...

Brian May becoming our personal teacher  😄

Maybe, hopefully people become more aware of general hygiene.

Families spending more quality time together.. Lots of people work hard and don't get much time with their kids... This is giving people a breather as such.

Ok I know its not all that simple. Some people will be totally screwed because of this and I am not ignoring that..  Just looking for the silver lining if you like.. Its all so negative I want to see where the positives are..

I guess what I am hoping for is we learn a bit from whats happening and use it to make us stronger in the end, not weaker as a species. 

Anyone else got more to add?

 

Lets hope the younger generations will learn and grow from this experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a teacher I am having a lot of time off. But starting in a couple of weeks I will be teaching via "distance learning".  This means I will basically be teaching over the computer to my students. This is going to be very challenging, but I am looking forward to it. I will be having to learn a lot of new skills. And I like that. 

I am also having a lot of time to play music. And I really love that! I usually do not make enough time to play/practice. But I am making myself play a lot now and I am enjoying it. I love to write songs, and I am now getting some time to do just that. Precious time indeed!

I am definitely trying to do things I was never able to do usually during this time. [thumbup]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Rabs said:

What times we are living through hey......

I was thinking though that already we are starting to see some interesting positive effects from this.

Like from what I have read for instance some places like in China they are seeing a massive drop in pollution as people aren't driving as much and some factories that were pumping out nasty crap have closed for the moment. That's a positive I think...  

People coming together. Ok there are always Aholes around to ruin things but I think in general this is making people more aware of other people and how we are all feeling. I donno and stuff like when they asked for volunteers for the NHS we had 500,000 people in one day apply.. That's pretty amazing. I think we will see more of this.

New creative ways to interact with each other using technology...

Brian May becoming our personal teacher  😄

Maybe, hopefully people become more aware of general hygiene.

Families spending more quality time together.. Lots of people work hard and don't get much time with their kids... This is giving people a breather as such.

Ok I know its not all that simple. Some people will be totally screwed because of this and I am not ignoring that..  Just looking for the silver lining if you like.. Its all so negative I want to see where the positives are..

I guess what I am hoping for is we learn a bit from whats happening and use it to make us stronger in the end, not weaker as a species. 

Anyone else got more to add?

 

I hear ya. It's a common enemy for the entire world, which should bring us all closer together, at, er, a safe distance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife was telling me air quality across the world has gotten measurably better.  I can believe it - and feel this is a fortunate byproduct of all the commuters not commuting, but she is a suspect source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I hear ya. It's a common enemy for the entire world, which should bring us all closer together, at, er, a safe distance! 

Exactly...  It shows we are all the same on the inside... All human (even though some act like animals and monsters)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, brad1 said:

As a teacher I am having a lot of time off. But starting in a couple of weeks I will be teaching via "distance learning".  This means I will basically be teaching over the computer to my students. This is going to be very challenging, but I am looking forward to it. I will be having to learn a lot of new skills. And I like that. 

I am also having a lot of time to play music. And I really love that! I usually do not make enough time to play/practice. But I am making myself play a lot now and I am enjoying it. I love to write songs, and I am now getting some time to do just that. Precious time indeed!

I am definitely trying to do things I was never able to do usually during this time. [thumbup]

Well good luck with it all... And yes I think this is going to force us all to change the way we think a little.. Which will hopefully bring new and creative/interesting ways of living our lives that we would have previously not considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

My wife was telling me air quality across the world has gotten measurably better.  I can believe it - and feel this is a fortunate byproduct of all the commuters not commuting, but she is a suspect source.

Its amazing really isn't it..  AND actually shows if the world were to work together and  all just change our lives a bit we could actually help heal the planet. This will be real proof.

Sadly I don't think it will change anything. But we can only hope and as mentioned above, if our generation cant or wont maybe the next generation will.

Edited by Rabs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brad1 said:

As a teacher I am having a lot of time off. But starting in a couple of weeks I will be teaching via "distance learning".  This means I will basically be teaching over the computer to my students. This is going to be very challenging, but I am looking forward to it. I will be having to learn a lot of new skills. And I like that. 

I am also having a lot of time to play music. And I really love that! I usually do not make enough time to play/practice. But I am making myself play a lot now and I am enjoying it. I love to write songs, and I am now getting some time to do just that. Precious time indeed!

I am definitely trying to do things I was never able to do usually during this time. [thumbup]

My wife was a teacher, Special ed. for the gifted her last half of her career. She told me that teachers here were doing lessons at home from computers. We both will have  been retired for 7 years 

this May 31. I got to meet tons of teachers plus I have relatives that were teachers, Fun people. 

With this virus going around I'm pretty much stuck here as my immunity system has never built back up like most people with the cancer I had. So my positive has been reading more about things and learning, It has brought me closer to God and praying more.  I even tried writing my first song which is actually Blues.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, uncle fester said:

My wife was telling me air quality across the world has gotten measurably better.  I can believe it - and feel this is a fortunate byproduct of all the commuters not commuting, but she is a suspect source.

I would bet traffic deaths are down too.

Anecdotally, as I take my walks and keep my appropriate distances, people in the neighborhood are much friendlier than usual.

Most of my favorite artists are doing semi-regular live-streams on the internet for fans.

Working from home means I get to play with my kids a lot more.

I'm not really buying anything other than food, so I'm saving a lot of money.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, uncle fester said:

My wife was telling me air quality across the world has gotten measurably better.  I can believe it - and feel this is a fortunate byproduct of all the commuters not commuting, but she is a suspect source.

This is certainly a good time to rethink the insane massive Over Production of Crappy Junk from China.. Plenty of it from other Places too.

It's a great time to rethink about the USA Producing High Quality, High Class Goods with Superior World Class Excellence  QC & Content..

Definitely time  America gives the same serious commitment to Treatments for the Flu, Common Cold, Cancer & Alzheimers that we gave to AIDS. 

This may be our last chance for a World Re-Set. I hope we are paying attention & take advantage of the opportunities to Change..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, labomba said:

Lets hope the younger generations will learn and grow from this experience. 

Agreed! Even though Ironically i'm the younger generation, we were getting so caught up in all this climate change blah blah etc etc that we were not paying attention to the important things in our lives. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thread Rabs and everyone. I’m really seeing how important community and family  is.  I have a number of health challenged older folks in the condos I manage. Frankly I love em all and it really pains me to see them holed up and scared. Missing their families out of state and no way to get together. Scared to even go get groceries. We’re  doing what we can to let them know we care. Phone calls, take a few extra minutes to talk to them - from a distance, text message and check on them.  We set up and played sunset concerts the last two Friday nights - told them to stay on their balconies and participate. Unbelievable response. Didn’t do anything that special but you’d have thought we were the best venue they’d ever heard! Their appreciation is overwhelming. We were afraid they’d probably get bored - just my wife and I singing with an acoustic guitar - I don’t dare bring any additional musicians  things being what they are - but to my astonishment they are practically insisting we continue. 
Folks are just plain hungry for something encouraging. We are praying that the Good Lord will protect them all and  slow this horrible pandemic real soon. 
Keep the faith - do whatever you can to brighten someone’s day! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 12:00 AM, Larsongs said:

This is certainly a good time to rethink the insane massive Over Production of Crappy Junk from China.. Plenty of it from other Places too.

It's a great time to rethink about the USA Producing High Quality, High Class Goods with Superior World Class Excellence  QC & Content..

Definitely time  America gives the same serious commitment to Treatments for the Flu, Common Cold, Cancer & Alzheimers that we gave to AIDS. 

This may be our last chance for a World Re-Set. I hope we are paying attention & take advantage of the opportunities to Change..

 

I will now go WAY out of my way to NOT buy things made in China. I always did prefer "anyplace else", but now it will become fanatical.

I will pay triple if so deemed. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear the murky waters of Venice have cleared up quite a bit because of the lack of tourists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, saturn said:

I hear the murky waters of Venice have cleared up quite a bit because of the lack of tourists.

Yeah I heard that too....

I spoke to my boss earlier today. He lives in Camden which is a very busy part of London. He also has asthma and has totally noticed how much cleaner the air feels to breath and how much better he is breathing in general because of it..

Its amazing how quickly the change has come since we have only been in lockdown a few weeks. And totally shows how much difference we could make to what we are doing to the planet if we all just made a few changes in our lives. When all this stops and life gets back to "normal" I sadly think people will just go straight back to their old habits.

We can always hope though 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I'm not driving LA freeways these days, my wife drove the 51 miles from Malibu to Torrance 2 weeks ago to close her office down. She made it in 45 minutes! Typically  2+ hours with traffic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tman said:

Although I'm not driving LA freeways these days, my wife drove the 51 miles from Malibu to Torrance 2 weeks ago to close her office down. She made it in 45 minutes! Typically  2+ hours with traffic. 

I've been on the LA freeway, my assshole was puckered up the whole time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case I think I saw you. Was it last month on the 11th? 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Murph said:

 

I will now go WAY out of my way to NOT buy things made in China. I always did prefer "anyplace else", but now it will become fanatical.

I will pay triple if so deemed. 

Amen Murph!!!! Amen!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tman said:

In that case I think I saw you. Was it last month on the 11th? 😎

Lol. No it was a few years ago. Idk how you guys can go 80 mph just feet apart and not have an accident that kills 100s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Lol. No it was a few years ago. Idk how you guys can go 80 mph just feet apart and not have an accident that kills 100s. 

It's a little known fact outside of the state that we are required to do exactly that during a simulated police chase filmed by helicopters while taking our driver's test.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

 Idk how you guys can go 80 mph just feet apart and not have an accident that kills 100s. 

 

And we can do it while texting AND eating a cheeseburger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the patriotism and sense of unity here, after 9/11.  Everyone had an American Flag bumper sticker.  For many, that love of country and fellow citizen faded along with those bumper stickers.   We  now seem to be more divided than ever:  News stories every day attacking our leaders responses to this 'once in a hundred years' event.  And of course, the attackers are people who couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel.     I don't think  'a few changes' will turn the planet green.  But we all know the 2 or 3 countries which produce most of the pollution - and if we put on our big boy pants  and stop buying things from them, and outsourcing our entire tech industry to them -  over time, we  can fix a multitude of 'national security' issues our politicians and media have just awakened to.  If we pay more for a flat screen TV or Apple Phone made in the US - that money will go to American workers.   Globalism is fine in theory. Until you have a pandemic and your Congress votes to send $11 Billion to Africa while you have nearly 10 million people laid off in 2 weeks.  

Anyway - that's my take on how something positive might come out of this .  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...