Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green RIP

IanHenry

R.I.P.  One of my big heroes.

I saw him in 1969 with the Mac and in 1970 jamming with Snowy White.  

Early this century I saw him with the Splinter Group but he shouldn't have been on stage that night IMO. 

It was in his fingers.  

Believe it or not this is a guy who's career I pretty much missed entirely.  The guys on this forum would often mention the "Peter Green" tone, the out-of-phase or flipped over humbucker, etc. and I really didn't know what y'all were referring to.  I only became aware of a band named Fleetwood Mac in about 1977 with the "Rumors" album and the girl singers.  The Fleetwood Mac before that didn't seem to get much air play in the US that I heard anyway, and listening to the samples above I can see why - it was great blues, but that wasn't so FM mainstream at the time.

Sorry I missed out on that as I am sure it would have been great to see him play live.

R.I.P. and thanks for the contribution to blues guitar.

One of my favourite Fleetwood Mac recordings, it's raw, un-edited and edgy. I don't think it was ever on an album, the only place I've found it is on YouTube. I think it's a BB King song (but I'm not 100% sure). Sadly it's audio only, but if you listen carefully during the guitar solo I'm sure the microphone is picking up Peter "singing" what He's playing in places.

Sorry to hear this news.  Seems that too many  legends die too early.  They spend years “burning the candle at both ends” and pass before their time.  The lure of stardom and all its trappings appears eternal when we’re young and healthy, but deadly as we grow older........RIP.......Thank you for Fleetwood Mac and all the great songs that have contributed in helping me through life.

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

One of my favourite Fleetwood Mac recordings, it's raw, un-edited and edgy. I don't think it was ever on an album, the only place I've found it is on YouTube. I think it's a BB King song (but I'm not 100% sure). Sadly it's audio only, but if you listen carefully during the guitar solo I'm sure the microphone is picking up Peter "singing" what He's playing in places.

Thanks for sharing that Ian. I had not heard it before. I'm going l hear it again though. 

I know his Bluesbreakers recordings, and the early Fleetwood Mac material, but nothing later than that. I’d welcome recommendations for must listens after that period.
It’s funny now, but when I was a young punk, I thought “The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)‘ was a Judas Priest song. It was years later before I discovered it was a cover.

Edited by zombiewuff

6 hours ago, zombiewuff said:

I know his Bluesbreakers recordings, and the early Fleetwood Mac material, but nothing later than that. I’d welcome recommendations for must listens after that period.
It’s funny now, but when I was a young punk, I thought “The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)‘ was a Judas Priest song. It was years later before I discovered it was a cover.

It hurts to admit, and many will disagree with me, but Mayall & Mac was his finest work IMO. Remember he was sick & didn't play for years. There is still stuff from that era that's worth finding though.

You could start with the link IanHenry posted 4 post back. I now have a MP3 of that. There are various versions of Live in Boston around. Those are great. Live at the BBC double CD is pretty good too.

53 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Live at the BBC double CD

I loved that CD back in the day (late '90s) when it was released. I bought a copy again, recently.

The Peter Green / Danny Kirwan stuff is beautiful. I have to hit the skip button whenever a Jeremy Spencer track appears. It must have been weird seeing the original incarnation of Fleetwood Mac back in their heyday, a mixture of heavy, brooding blues, punctuated with corny Buddy Holly / Elvis impersonations and an approximation of Elmore James's most famous slide lick repeated endlessly over pretty much all of that "jocular" material. Very odd.

I agree with you re: the Mayall album. The Supernatural and Peter's cover of the Stumble. It's all remarkable stuff.

Edited by Lord Summerisle
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I agree Live at the BBC is a very good place to start, there's also John Mayall's Bluesbreakers Live in 1967 which was released in 2015 after a series of recordings made by a Dutch were discovered (apparently he recorded them at a number of London clubs, so I guess you could say that this is an official bootleg).