Gibson Brands Forums

Whacky Conspiracy Channels

saturn

6 hours ago, LarryUK said:

Anyone seen Bigfoot? 

No.  But we have spent a whole lot of  time in the valleys of Yellowstone between the hours of 1am and dawn, listening to all the things the animals do.  We've heard the knocks on trees, the odd screams and growls, the huffing and puffing.  But we could explain all the animal sounds, they weren't big foot.  The knocks are the sounds that trees make all by themselves, all the time.  You just have to be there to listen for them.

My favorite thing is to park in a pullout in Lamar Valley, get out of the car, and walk a little way out into the green and sit down.  The bison spend all night talking to each other, low murmurs and soft grunts.  It is just the most beautiful thing you ever heard.  They walk by and stop just a foot or two away, they know you don't belong there but you aren't threatening so they just sniff and move on.  With the breeze and the unbelievable sky and their non stop quiet conversation it is hypnotizing.  

One spring trip I pulled off in Lamar at a fairly high rise over the river.  I had to pee.  Mrs got out with me and we went to the edge of the rise to listen to the river and the breeze and, of course, the sky.  The sound of the bear down there on the river bank made us picture something twenty feet tall.  He was growling and snuffling and barking sort of, even low screamed a couple times.  If you didn't know that was a bear you would definitely think you heard a monster of some kind.  But it was a good size grizzly, we could see his shape against the river eventually.  Right before we literally ran three steps to the truck.

We've been in isolation so isolated that I wouldn't be surprised at anything that lives out there and avoids us.  It is their turf, not ours.

rct

Ever hear a mountain lion at night,  sounds like a woman screaming,  being a light sleeper I barely got a good night's sleep when I would stay at my grandparents ranch,  Between to coyote's and the cattle wailing and the toads and the occasional big cats wailing insomnia awaited me.

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He was over the other day for an adult beverage, but he left his beef jerky at home and was hungry and had to leave early.

That must have been his cousin, I shot the real one 30 years ago, Haha.  Seriously, I was 16 when the Apollo11 crew landed on the moon July 20, 1969. We were all glued to the black & white TV we had then and watched as much of the mission as possible from takeoff to landing and back to Earth. It was pretty cool watching it. They took a photo of the Earth on that mission if I remember and it was round back then. 

3 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The screams could be a wild boar if they are in the area.   When a predator kills a boar and it doesn't happen quickly, it seriously sounds like a person screaming in horror as an axe murderer chops them up.  

Could have done without that description this AM!    Except for RCT's buffalo - many of these descriptions of the noises nature makes - make me happy I live in the 'burbs.   We do have the occasional person who reports on 'NextDoor' seeing  a big stray domestic cat and believes it's a bobcat.  Then, inevitably, someone will claim it's an ocelot.  Then a cougar.  I'm tempted, at times, to up the ante and insist it was an African Lion escaped from the zoo.  But I'm afraid it would result in another run on toilet paper.    The scariest part of all - these people vote. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Retired said:

That must have been his cousin, I shot the real one 30 years ago, Haha.  Seriously, I was 16 when the Apollo11 crew landed on the moon July 20, 1969. We were all glued to the black & white TV we had then and watched as much of the mission as possible from takeoff to landing and back to Earth. It was pretty cool watching it. They took a photo of the Earth on that mission if I remember and it was round back then. 

People need to remember we were in a race to the moon with the USSR (Russia for you young folks) and if we faked the moon landing, they would have been the ones making the loudest noise about it that we faked it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

... and apparently these people also vote here and leave Sad Faces rather than comment on why they're unhappy. 

Emojis are lame. I never use them or rarely do. The p-oo one makes me laugh.

After going to the Moon a bunch of times it was all we needed. We did it, brought back rocks and did some science stuff up there. Building up there would be a huge undertaking.

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We have the actual stainless steel model of the Space Shuttle in our building under glass. It was tested in my tunnel obviously years before I got hired.

That sounds painful. It must've left a mark. And you had to endure that for years before they hired you?

My sympathies.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The screams could be a wild boar if they are in the area.   When a predator kills a boar and it doesn't happen quickly, it seriously sounds like a person screaming in horror as an axe murderer chops them up.  

No boar in Yellowstone.  The bears, when they are on something, will often screech and squeal as they roar/bark vocalize either "complete victory and I'm eating" or "if you are nearby stay away".

rct

About 20 years ago, Deb & I were in Arkansas with a motorhome. We rented a car to drive around while the motorhome was at the camp site. One night we went to one of those cowboy chuck wagon  feeds where they sing to you after your done eating.  On the way back to the camp site late at night something ran out in front of the car and I hit it. Pulling over to take a look, I hit a Wild Boar. The road was deserted with just us on it.  We drove on and came to a small town with a gas station that was closed. I got out to examine the rental car for damage and it just had a bit of blood on it, and no damage at all, Good deal, Deb thought I should call the police so they could remove the dead pig so no one else hits it. They wanted our name, address and home ph number to send a bill for its removal fee. At that, I hung up and never said a word, Drove back, next day we returned the rental car and went back home. 6 months later we get a letter from Arkansas and Deb opened it. It was a bill from the police department for several hundred bucks to remove a dead pig from their roads.  Now, How did they ever find out?  We know how they found out but do you know?

4 hours ago, Retired said:

They wanted our name, address and home ph number to send a bill for its removal fee. 

That's a poor system. It can only discourage reporting and increase danger to everyone else. I'm surprised to say the least. Does you motor insurance provide for this sort of thing?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SteveFord said:

You forgot Tang.  I drag a swimming pool's worth of that crap as a kid.

I used to drink Tang in the 70's as a kid and those Pillsbury Food Sticks (chocolate).

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I guess when speed traps don't generate enough $, the  City Fathers  order the police to use their investigative powers to generate  $  in other ways.    One wonders how many residents, aware of this, let dead wildlife and livestock stay in the road, endangering motorists.   Taxes and Fees  result in behaviors we might otherwise eschew if we could connect the dots.  

Aside from the all too real Lizard People from outer space controlling us I now have to decide between COVID-19 is not real OR it is real and is transmitted through the 5G network somehow or other.  And if it IS real and is transmitted through the 5G network is Bill Gates really putting microchips or nanobots in the vaccine to turn me into his sex slave?

Questions, questions, questions flooding through the mind of the concerned young person of today...

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Aside from the all too real Lizard People from outer space controlling us I now have to decide between COVID-19 is not real OR it is real and is transmitted through the 5G network somehow or other.  And if it IS real and is transmitted through the 5G network is Bill Gates really putting microchips or nanobots in the vaccine to turn me into his sex slave?

Questions, questions, questions flooding through the mind of the concerned young person of today...

I hope one day the members of our rockin' teen combo can sort it all out.

Bring the band on down behind me boys. So far New Years Resolution is going swimmingly. I was jammin' Crusin' With Ruben And The Jets on the way into work.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 9:37 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Could have done without that description this AM!    Except for RCT's buffalo - many of these descriptions of the noises nature makes - make me happy I live in the 'burbs.   We do have the occasional person who reports on 'NextDoor' seeing  a big stray domestic cat and believes it's a bobcat.  Then, inevitably, someone will claim it's an ocelot.  Then a cougar.  I'm tempted, at times, to up the ante and insist it was an African Lion escaped from the zoo.  But I'm afraid it would result in another run on toilet paper.    The scariest part of all - these people vote. 

Last I checked if your 18 years of age and registered you can vote, or do you want that right taken away?

• Thanks 2

Pele woke up a few weeks ago, just to remind us who's island we are on surrounded by a world of gliding monsters. Now we are also wearing our tinfoil hats to protect us from the sky visitors while huddled together hoping the Menehune don't play tricks on us, as dead warriors search for heaven passing through the jungle.

Edited by mihcmac