Gibson Brands Forums

The End of the COVID Collection

SteveFord

On 3/20/2021 at 6:41 AM, SteveFord said:

Yes, no, yes, no, this is really stupid ah what the hell, a truck could run me over tomorrow for all I know.

Exactly!  And you couldn't do much better than that beauty!  Wow!

WOWEEEE that is one beauty of a 335!  Congratulations - a great find and I'm sure it has all the ICONIC tones the 335 is known for 🙂  I've sort of lost track now of your collection, it's been expanding so rapidly of late,  if you can fit them all in the frame a nice family shot would be good!  Does Gibson still have that program when you own six or more of their guitars they send you a free Gibson pick?

Those photos were absolutely beautiful brother, and the story 😳 but if nothing else good came out of the past year the ability to say F-it and get that dream is alright.  I see you posted the tease "unboxing" photo.  Go ahead, torture us, we can handle it. 😄

Sorry for the multiple posts, this software is driving me crazy.

I haven't had a chance to do anything other than a little polish, lemon oil, new strings and make sure that everything works okay.

The guitar lived in the case and the previous owner only played open chords judging by the frets.  It's just about brand new.

The neck surprised me as it has a satin feel to it and is much stouter than I was expecting.  Picture 50s profile Les Paul and that's just about it.  

Other surprises were the thumb wheels for the bridge just go onto little studs sunk into the wood (they spin right off the studs) and the stop tailpiece has slotted, locking caps to keep it from sliding around when you remove the strings.  That was a clever touch.  

I'll post more after work and some running around and see what it sounds and plays like.  It'll take a little bit to adjust the neck as I use 11s so it'll bow up a bit, I"m sure.  

Beautiful instrument, though, they really took some pride in making these.

Edited by SteveFord

23 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Yes but no hash pipe however it does have that spiffy Tone Cover over the truss rod.

I would have laughed if it said Hoboken instead of Memphis or something.

Why do you only open guitar boxes in the middle of the street?

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Yes but no hash pipe however it does have that spiffy Tone Cover over the truss rod.

I would have laughed if it said Hoboken instead of Memphis or something.

How about Newark. Lock your doors while driving through. I remember when I was 16 and I visited my relatives in Jersey. My cousin lived in Clifton and we drove through some city in Jersey and he told me to lock the car door on my side. If I remember correctly it was Newark. It was ages ago.

That thing is f-in sweet. How any ES's you got?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

My parents always told me to play in traffic so I guess it's an ingrained habit.

The neck on this feels like a Martin HD-28 or the 2007 GOTW zebra wood models (Firebird V and Les Paul Classic).  Smooth satin and really fast.  You know how nitro can occasionally get sticky on some of them?  Not with these.

It was between this and a figured 2020 on Reverb and I went with this one due to the pick ups.  Are the Burstbuckers better or worse than the T Tops?  I honestly don't know but I like the way they sound in the Les Paul Standards so go with what you know.  They're very clear sounding but you can really get them to snarl if you put a little snap into your attack.  After a truss rod adjustment I got the action really low so the pick ups will need to be dropped some.  It was really apparant how the sound quality degraded when I lowered the strings.  Hmmm...

The tuners have a low ratio so a string winder would come in handy during string changes as otherwise you'll be there for a while.  Tuning stability is really good.  

I was a little leery as this is a 2017 which was right before they purchased more light bulbs at the factory and supposedly there were lurching around in the dark.  Is this going to be a blunder?

Nope.  I either really lucked out or maybe this is the way they all are.  It's several rungs up the ladder from my 07 Satin 335 which is a really nice guitar but you can really feel the difference in them.  I don't know exactly what Gibson does as the price point goes up but there's certainly something different.

I'll chalk it up to a combination of dumb luck and the miracle Plastic TONE COVER.  

When I saw a similar one at that guitar show many years ago I just knew it was the best guitar in the whole place.  I just stopped and thought, there it is, that's it.

This is a later one but I think I was right.

6 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

...After a truss rod adjustment I got the action really low so the pick ups will need to be dropped some.  It was really apparant how the sound quality degraded when I lowered the strings.  Hmmm...

Indeed.  Strings up, there's a number they want them at at the fret they want them that high.  Pickups down, away from the strings.  Do these things, Grasshopper, and you will be a better player and your pickups will work correctly, and then, it will be time for you to leave.

rct