Gibson Brands Forums

Thank You.

MorrisrownSal

Hey guys, my best friend of about 50 years is getting married a week from tonight. His new bride is a peach. They have a DJ but they last minute asked me if, instead of the DJ, I’d play their favorite two songs for them. I said most likely yes, but want to make sure it’s up to snuff. It’s more important than my typical bar gig. And I even have to wear a suit…

I am sending it to him to make sure the bride actually wants to go through with it after hearing me first. So I ask you, if you think it’s ok for a wedding of about 75 people? I’d have to play through a small Fishman Loudbox Mini. This is the one she chose…

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 1

I do that one for the Battleaxe at least twice a month.  Part of my "wooo" songs list. I try to base mine off of the Chris Cornell version. I dig into it with a heavier pick than I do on other songs.  I kind of picked a few little phrases here and there instead of some of the strums, but it's still largely a strummer for me.

To answer your question, I think that performance will be a hit at the wedding.

You can do it - this is a heart-gift, isn't it, , , so with your skills, abilities to sing in pitch, keep time and so, no problem.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Just be sure the bride doesn't fall in lOVE with you, , , I was close to such a mess in the late 90s.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Ahh not really, , but U know what I mean, , , shouldn't steal that certain tiny spot in her soul. . 

Yes, do it Sal!  You make the song sound real and you do it very well.  I think they’ll really like it.  Much more personal and heartfelt than if the commercial version was played by a DJ…….My only concern is you in a suit.  Oh, and don’t pick your nose or do any scratching——remember, this ain’t a bar gig.

Thanks brethren… I am not a big Zeppelin guy, but I do want her to be pleased. I sent it along to them in a text message, and my friend said she was real pleased. I hope you are all doing well.

by the way I am down to two guitars. how did that happen! My D15 got injured badly at a gig… still have it but it’s decoration. I have my J45-TV and a Martin 000-28. I keep looking for a 000-18 and… gasp… Gibson CF1. But not in the cards!

I’ll tell you a funny story about performing at a wedding.   
my son and DIL asked me to sing Dylan’s “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere” during their wedding ceremony.

4th verse goes:

Gengis Khan he could not keep
All his kings supplied with sleep

but I sang, (TOTALLY by mistake):

Gengis Khan he could not keep 

All his kings supplied with sheep

On 8/21/2021 at 1:49 PM, Salfromchatham said:

Hey guys, my best friend of about 50 years is getting married a week from tonight. His new bride is a peach. They have a DJ but they last minute asked me if, instead of the DJ, I’d play their favorite two songs for them. I said most likely yes, but want to make sure it’s up to snuff. It’s more important than my typical bar gig. And I even have to wear a suit…

I am sending it to him to make sure the bride actually wants to go through with it after hearing me first. So I ask you, if you think it’s ok for a wedding of about 75 people? I’d have to play through a small Fishman Loudbox Mini. This is the one she chose…

What's the second song for the "play their favorite two songs..."

Very sorry to hear about the badly damaged guitar at a gig.

On 8/22/2021 at 6:03 AM, Salfromchatham said:

By the way I am down to two guitars. how did that happen! My D15 got injured badly at a gig… still have it but it’s decoration. I have my J45-TV and a Martin 000-28. I keep looking for a 000-18 and… gasp… Gibson CF1. But not in the cards!

oh no,,, so, sal, what happened to the D15? 

A corner of the top got kicked in during the gig from hell last weekend...

Guitar bust. Friend's replacement guitar (a friend drove to his house a mile away and  brought an old alvarez with old strings)... broke one string. then another. then my preamp died. This gig was rough. Got word just before we started that a close friend (who comes up and sings a song or two at every gig) was taken off a ventilator and died. Maybe it was his ghost...

Oh - and BoSoxBiker - the 2nd song is Lynard Skynard Simple Man.  A song for my friend and his mom. I hate that song. And - with apologies to any who partake on this forum - Skynard does nothing for me.

• Sad 1