Gibson Brands Forums

How's it hangin'?

Whitefang

No, not on the wall, but....

I tried a search because I wasn't sure if I did this thread here already.  I've done it in a few other forums though...

You know, in all my years I've seen guitar players playing their guitars standing up with the axes hanging on them with a strap.  Some had them hanging high enough to rest their chins on the side of their ax, some about mid torso, and by the '80's I've seen them slung so low it puzzled me as to how they could bend their wrists enough to form chords!   So, my question to the membership here is....

When it comes to the location of your guitar while playing it standing up and with a strap,   then......

How's it hangin'?  [thumbup]

Whitefang

Never did the macho "look how low my guitar hangs, therefore......"

I sit down to play 99% of the time so the only times I use a strap are with Ovations, Jaguars, and Jazzmasters (slippery things). 

If I do stand up with one, tend to keep it on the high-ish side.

• Thanks 1

I’ve worn them high & I've worn them low.. Now I hang them in the middle.. About the same Strap adjustment height if I were sitting.. That’s the most comfortable for me..

That height makes it easier for me to play without looking at the Neck.. Except occasionally… Enabling me to engage with the Audience since I’m the Lead Vocalist.. Much more professional…

• Thanks 1

I prefer to play sitting, but always have straps on my guitars.

I like the guitar to be high, and with the body on a tilt so I can easily see the fretboard, which helps me when I have to play unusual and exotic chords.

When I play, I'm always watching my left hand.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have mine pretty much where my buckle would wear in the middle of the back of the guitar, if I tucked in my shirt.  Kinda based on where it sits if I'm sitting to play.
I do have the neck tilted a bit high instead of straight horizontal.

I like the low slung look on some (Johnny Ramone) but my wrists couldn't take it.  I wear the Ric a little higher like John Lennon did though.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

A little to the left.  Thanks for asking. 

• Thanks 1

Well, how about ME?  You know, the guy who started all this?

Well, since my spinal  and leg issues made me pretty much sedentary, it also caused me to gain, along with weight, some noticeable girth.  And playing my dreadnaught acoustic with a strap makes me look like I'm playing a guitarron!  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

My SG Classic still well balanced, this would be my normal position.

RXnik3o.jpg

Unless I'm doing a lot of fast pick'n, then it is more comfortable a couple of inches lower so my picking arm has less of a bend.

SbXTc3E.jpg

Over the years lower always seemed to feel better.

oV7Bfm9.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The photos posted look ok posture-wise.  Most of us are probably guilty of the 'thumb over the top of the neck' sometimes.  I definitely do it when bending strings. 

Ideally, your fretting hand thumb would be hidden behind the neck.  Wrist should be as straight as possible.   This looks very legit to me:

yea, theres times when thumb behind the neck is definately beneficial, other times it doesn't matter.  after playing for 48 years, I don't think twice about it.  I'm sure Mel Bay is rolling in his grave ...  plus I have fairly large hands. gotta put it somewhere (thats what she said) 🤣

Edited by Karloff

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The photos posted look ok posture-wise.  Most of us are probably guilty of the 'thumb over the top of the neck' sometimes.  I definitely do it when bending strings. 

Ideally, your fretting hand thumb would be hidden behind the neck.  Wrist should be as straight as possible.   This looks very legit to me:

My thumbs are shot through with arthritis. Cant use them properly. Its changed the way I play. Bar chords are difficult. 

I wondered about doing a short vid of my fretting hand behind the neck entitled 'Look, No Thumbs!' cos it does look a bit weird. 

30 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

To me it looks right.   I originally learned rock and blues, and my posture was pretty bad.  When I started learning Jazz I was forced to anchor my thumb behind the neck because it gives you the best leverage and reach for chords.   Now when I switch between the styles, it's pretty funny because as soon as I play something bluesy my hand shifts to the old posture and then back to the Jazzy way for the chords. 

yep, it definately does make a big difference