Gibson Brands Forums

Bucket List ES-335

Farrmar

At my skill level I have no right to purchase this guitar (kind of like my golf clubs) but I have always wanted one and I am retiring. Questions:

If I order one direct from Gibson, is there a wait?

If I order one direct from Gibson, what kind of setup will be required once I receive it? Will I need to bring it to a shop (that will wonder why I don't buy guitars from them)?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mark

There's no wrong options here.  You want a 335, and you can afford it, by all means, buy it

Ordering direct from Gibson?  are you talking about a custom order or a production run model?

If I was you, and it was my "$"  I'd take a look at what Sweetwater has available.  Call them, and from there, in about 2 or 3 days, it'l be on your door step

for example: Gibson ES-335 Figured Semi-hollowbody Electric Guitar - Sixties Cherry | Sweetwater

Sweetwater will do setups for you before they ship it if you know exactly what you want, they can make it happen.

Sweetwater is really not the only choice, as there are other good on line merchants but IMHO they are about the best in the bizz.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Farrmar said:

At my skill level I have no right to purchase this guitar (kind of like my golf clubs) but I have always wanted one and I am retiring. Questions:

If I order one direct from Gibson, is there a wait?

If I order one direct from Gibson, what kind of setup will be required once I receive it? Will I need to bring it to a shop (that will wonder why I don't buy guitars from them)?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mark

Mark, you have every right to purchase a 335, life's too short not to, go for it🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Mark, you have every right to purchase a 335, life's too short not to, go for it🙂

Well said, totally agree.

I get the feeling that the OP may not want to embarrass himself by going to a shop and perhaps revealing his limitations.  You get a bit nervous, sweaty palms, they hand you 3 guitars and you don't know enough to tell the difference, then the salesman starts lecturing you and before you know it you're being talked into some deal which isn't how you wanted this to work out at all....

Very good advice from kidblast.  Decide what colour you would like most 1st, check the website then phone and get them to do a good set-up as part of the purchase.

🎸[thumbup]

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

Yup..  I would say though as others have said.. If you havent, go try one first. It may not be what you expect..  Like me, I went for the smaller body 336 which way more suits my preferences and does most of what a 335 can do and more. And im no Hendrix.. But I love owning and playing them regardless (as I have 2 now).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Murph said:

I always wanted a 335, then they came out with the (slightly smaller) 339 and I bought the first year. It was my # 1 until I quit the electrics and went all acoustic.

Love those semi hollow laminate double cuts.

I have a 339 and LOVE it, but I'm still GASing for a 335. 

Nothing wrong ordering from the Factory for a Custom Build.. It will cost a lot more.. But, any Model you buy direct from Gibson you'll pay way more than you would from Sweetwater or most other reputable Dealers... By the way, Sweetwater has their own Custom Shop & will upgrade to just about any Specs you want In-House.... My Rep tells me if they do it the Factory Warranties won't be affected..

I had them add a Vibramate & Bigsby to one of my Les Pauls when I bought it & it looks like it came from the Factory.. Very reasonable cost.. I did have to send it to Gibson later for Warranty repair.. It had a Neck issue & they made it perfect.. 

Gibson's Model Line offers numerous variations of Models already.. What features do you want in addition to what they already offer?

Edited by Larsongs

If you want a 335, get a 335. Treat it right and it will last a lifetime and give you pleasure. Life is short, get pleasure where you can.

I'd probably get it from a guitar store, one that offers free setup.

But that's me. Guitar is my 7th instrument, and I'm spending time improving my playing skills, and don't want to learn how to adjust the neck, just yet.

But then, I bought two Parkers via mail-order, thinking I might have to get them set up, but they arrived just fine.

Notes ♫

On 2/26/2023 at 1:44 PM, IanHenry said:

I must be a half wit. I cannot figure out how to "like" your responses, but I do. I am super impressed with all your feedback and support. Great group! Thank you. I went to my local guitar shop today and told them I intended to buy an ES-335, and they were super psyched for me and said to bring it in. I just pulled the trigger!

Any suggestions on a tube amp to go with it?

Thanks!

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Vox AC15 with British Celestion Alnico Blue are 2 excellent mid size Tube Amps that will sound great with just about any Guitar & definitely with a Gibson ES335.. 15 - 22 Watts.. Easy to haul & has big Sound.. Those are my most used Amps for my ES335 & most of my other Guitars.. 

Lately I’ve been using smaller Amps quite a bit.. A 65 Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue & a modded Vox AC10-C1.. They work equally as well as their bigger brothers but less expensive, lighter weight, 10 - 12 Tube Watt Amps that deliver extremely well in any situation..

All four are easy to Mic for big gigs.. If necessary..

Edited by Larsongs

4 hours ago, Farrmar said:

I must be a half wit. I cannot figure out how to "like" your responses, but I do. I am super impressed with all your feedback and support. Great group! Thank you. I went to my local guitar shop today and told them I intended to buy an ES-335, and they were super psyched for me and said to bring it in. I just pulled the trigger!

Any suggestions on a tube amp to go with it?

Thanks!

Mark, thank you for your kind words and yes there are some great and knowledgeable members on this forum who will always help you out.

Regarding amps, assuming you're going to be playing at home or small gigs you can't go wrong with something like a Fender Blues Junior: Blues Junior™ Lacquered Tweed | Guitar Amplifiers (fender.com) but there are others for example Delta King 12 - Supro USA or Delta King 10 - Supro USA if you want something a bit smaller.  It largely depends on how much money you want to spend and how loud you want it to be.  I'd certainly go for a tube amp but if you did decide you wanted solid state the Boss Katana is very popular BOSS - KATANA-50 MkII | Guitar Amplifier but, if you did go with a solid state amp I suspect it will only be a matter of time before you want a tube amp.

Before you choose an amp it's worthwhile trying them out in a shop with your own guitar before deciding and worth posting on here for more opinions before parting with your cash.

Good luck, I'm sure your going to love your 335 and it'll become a life long friend. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 4:37 PM, Farrmar said:

At my skill level I have no right to purchase this guitar (kind of like my golf clubs) but I have always wanted one and I am retiring. 

Hell at MY skill level I have no business buying ANY name-brand instrument! But like you, I was lusting for a 335. Found this one on Reverb. Looks a lot like SteveFord's
335-1.jpg.6d8d42280ef45a2f94460b398ebdb832.jpg

• Like 1