Gibson Brands Forums

King Charles III and his wife, Queen Camilla both crowned this morning.

Retired

I watched about 5 minutes of it - I thought Charles looked really old.  My Mom's side of the family were from England and I visited there a few times.  It's sort of intriguing that they still have a royal family although other than trying to spread a little goodwill to the countries of the Commonwealth, the royals don't really do much other than live an extravagant lifestyle.  The expense of all the pageantry with the crazy costumes seems overboard but I suppose as the saying goes "it's good to be king". 

My mother was the same age as the queen and shared every 3rd birthday (The Queen's changed, I think it was a weather thing). I was born the same day as Prince Andrew. I used to say it with a sort of pride.

11 hours ago, Rabs said:

I dont think thats much to be proud of. It was done through exploitation and slavery.. The quicker we move on from this stuff the better.

One thing that's never spoken of is that it was the British Empire that ended slavery (although, by all accounts, it still goes on in some places). 

The Royal Navy paid a heavy price in terms of seamen during the East Africa Squadron, with so many dying from disease.   

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I can't disagree.  Although it was a couple of centuries ago  =  stealing the Irish farms, selling their  crops and produce  to Europe during the entire continent's potato blight, and then blaming the famine that killed 4 million on the 'potato',  was, in my opinion, what caused the British Empire to slowly wither and die.  When you lose your moral compass ...  

Some of it wasnt even that long ago... And thats nothing compared to some of the things that they did..  

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/worst-atrocities-british-empire-amritsar-boer-war-concentration-camp-mau-mau-a6821756.html

On 5/7/2023 at 11:23 AM, Whitefang said:

Talk about pride in one's country.  🙄

Now, THERE'S another one who drank large gulps of the wrong Kool-Aid.  [wink]

Whitefang

like I'm goin dowm this rabbit hole with you?  not a frikken chance.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, kidblast said:

like I'm goin dowm this rabbit hole with you?  not a frikken chance.  

Just stating an opinion.  We're allowed to do that here, ain't we?  Wasn't asking anyone to go dowm any rabbit hole.  :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Reminds me of that cliche from the last century: Don't fee the trolls. 

Again, just stating an opinion.  And I refuse to pay any FEE.  😜  Especially one I never owed.

Whitefang

• Confused 1

We watched a bit of it. Don't really understand how the British Monarchy works but it does have a long history. Every time I go to England I have a blast, the people are cool and the "bobby' hasn't thrown me in the pen. So all is good. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Just stating an opinion.  We're allowed to do that here, ain't we?  Wasn't asking anyone to go dowm any rabbit hole.  :rolleyes:

Again, just stating an opinion.  And I refuse to pay any FEE.  😜  Especially one I never owed.

Whitefang

The Spell Checker on EVERY forum is always so easy to identify.    A morsel of cheese and  SNAP ! 

• Haha 1

Ah, so it seems those too lazy to proofread will try anything to justify their shortcoming.   [wink]  Even try to insult the person who tries to remind them that they're too smart to make such misstatements.  Or at least at their age should be.

Whitefang

• Confused 1

On 5/8/2023 at 9:40 AM, Big Bill said:

I love the UK and it's people, along with their many traditions and history. I'm making another trip there at the end of the summer and I'm excited as always!

I would love to go sometime. Never bee there. Only place I've been to across seas was Hawaii.  That was our Honeymoon. 

• Thanks 1

The UK does seem like it would be an interesting place to visit.   But then again, there is the language barrier. [wink]

It was George Bernard Shaw who claimed, "England and America are two countries divided by a common language."  😄

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

The UK does seem like it would be an interesting place to visit.   But then again, there is the language barrier. [wink]

It was George Bernard Shaw who claimed, "England and America are two countries divided by a common language."  😄

Whitefang

Well you can always learn Japanese before you come  😄 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Retired said:

I would love to go sometime. Never bee there. Only place I've been to across seas was Hawaii.  That was our Honeymoon. 

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Of course, your always welcome🙂 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Hmm, Debbie went there while in college. Told me about it. Her and her 2 friends were lost and ended up wondering in the Red Light District.( Prostitutes. ) A police officer stopped them to find out they were lost and helped them get out. No wonder?  Deb got John and I lost on a 2 hour tour through Chicago when he graduated Boot Camp from the Navy. We both kept singing to her Giligan's Island theme song to her.

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2023 at 9:40 AM, Big Bill said:

I love the UK and it's people, along with their many traditions and history. I'm making another trip there at the end of the summer and I'm excited as always!

I'm getting to love the UK more. My wife told me this morning that some people over there painted drawings of Penis's and balls and vaginas on all the pot holes and they fixed them ASAP.  Lol. We were wondering if we would get arrested or not doing the same over here to get our potholes fixed? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

One night in 1974 some fed up residents drew attention to potholes on my road. White paint, arrows, circles, “FIX THIS F________ POT HOLE!!!”.

I will plead the Fifth on this one. 

Did you have to spell out the F-word to get them repaired ? 

10 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

One night in 1974 some fed up residents drew attention to potholes on my road. White paint, arrows, circles, “FIX THIS F________ POT HOLE!!!”.

I will plead the Fifth on this one. 

Well, I am an Artist. Started drawing in the 2nd grade. took art all the way through school and won a scholarship in it.   Can you imagine what I could paint on those hundreds or thousands potholes here?