Gibson Brands Forums

Deleted Original Posting, to avoid any more ruckus

On 3/3/2024 at 9:21 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

These 2 guitars are the same exact price on Sweetwater right now, both a steal IMO ($1,799.99):

Option1:  Gibson Les Paul Special - TV Yellow

226130094-front-large.jpg.auto.webp

Option 2:  Fender American Professional II Telecaster - Butterscotch Blonde with Maple Fingerboard

US23115349-front-large.jpg.auto.webp

I was really on the fence, but I ended up with the ugly Telecaster.  If it's good enough for ... [insert a million names]

That's ok, ugly guitars need love too!!

I have owned about 5 telecasters and a couple of custom spin off ones. I like them but I still think they are of the ugly ducklings in the world of guitars. 

14 minutes ago, bigtim said:

That's ok, ugly guitars need love too!!

I have owned about 5 telecasters and a couple of custom spin off ones. I like them but I still think they are of the ugly ducklings in the world of guitars. 

I've owned several Telecasters over the years, too. And while some were definitely on the uglier side, I think my current '62 Custom Telecaster is rather nice looking, at least by Tele standards. 

62 Custom Telecaster.JPG

3 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Mine has a tan line. QoDpFke.jpeg

i76siEa.jpeg

Those are pics of the same guitar, aren't they? 

Wow. 

Is that a nitro or poly finish? I'm guessing nitro based on the discoloration and checking... 

5 hours ago, Murph said:

I'm feeding and saving squirrels for when they want us to eat bugs.

I don't eat squirrels now but might in the future.

Nice plan!

My very dedicated vegan cousin has returned to meat eating. It wasn't her choice but her doctors. Medical grounds brought her back from Vega for good.

My guess is that the USA will be the last place on earth to get Bug Burgers or Stag Beetle Venison meat balls.

When they do, can you rely on Walmart to tell you?

55 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Is that a Foto Flame?

Based on the faux "binding" (actually from the top itself, if I don't miss my guess - notice how the grain patterns in the top continue into the "binding") and the amount of birdseye in the maple neck, I'm guessing that is a Fender Custom Shop creation. I'd be shocked if it is a Photo Flame. 

1 hour ago, Phil OKeefe said:

i76siEa.jpeg

Those are pics of the same guitar, aren't they? 

Wow. 

Is that a nitro or poly finish? I'm guessing nitro based on the discoloration and checking... 

Yes, taken in June of 1978 and the other pic was a month or two ago. The finish is some weird hybrid of layers of poly and layers of nitro. It’s Fullerton, nothing altered. It has yellowed, yes, but no smoky bars, just in my possession. I smoked up until 2014 but it was never exposed to enough dense smoke to cause that. I know I can’t clean the guitar. At all. Guitar polishes dull it immediately and a wet rag turns it milky for 2-3 days. It’s like the office coffee cup that never gets washed. The guitar is actually a 1977 but I got it new on June 11, 1978. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

A Telecaster is the only guitar that tempts me in recent years...this thread and its pictures isn't helping at all !! [scared][laugh]

I’m biased because I’ve played the same one almost 46 years. But I will tell you this, in all honesty. I could make the Telecaster my only guitar. Without hesitation. Any sound I hear in my head, I can find on a stock Telecaster. At least any sound that sounds good to me. I see people pick up a Telecaster and the first thing they try is some Nashville chicken pickin crap, as if that’s the only kind of music to be played on Leo’s lowly plank. Pish tosh. Mine can sound like a Johnny Smith, Link Wray, surf, rockabilly, just about any pure unprocessed sound you want. With stock pickups and pots. The Telecaster has a seemingly infinite number of tones and levels of fatness that are right within a quarter turn of a pot. And the amp? Doesn’t matter. Give me a Pignose and I’ll make it work. People ask me what effects I use. I use a cord. What about an amp? Whichever amp the cord will reach. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Based on the faux "binding" (actually from the top itself, if I don't miss my guess - notice how the grain patterns in the top continue into the "binding") and the amount of birdseye in the maple neck, I'm guessing that is a Fender Custom Shop creation. I'd be shocked if it is a Photo Flame. 

No faux. Tele Select. I found a solid flamed maple pick guard and replaced the white plastic. Has maple binding.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

Yes, taken in June of 1978 and the other pic was a month or two ago. The finish is some weird hybrid of layers of poly and layers of nitro. It’s Fullerton, nothing altered. It has yellowed, yes, but no smoky bars, just in my possession. 

IIRC, Fender had some paint issues circa the late-70s, but from what I recall, it was paint that would peel or flake off easily. This seems to be a different issue. 

58 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

But I will tell you this, in all honesty. I could make the Telecaster my only guitar. Without hesitation. Any sound I hear in my head, I can find on a stock Telecaster.  People ask me what effects I use. I use a cord. What about an amp? Whichever amp the cord will reach. 

7 minutes ago, Karloff said:

20231109-120030.jpg

see!

this is what I'm talking about....[laugh][thumbup]🤘

• Haha 1

At least everybody's pretty good natured on here when things start to go out of bounds.  There used to be guys like NeoConMan and the guy with the Mushroom cloud avatar, arguing all the time about everything.  Some of these guys probably weren't the same person online as they were in the real world.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Some of these guys probably weren't the same person online as they were in the real world.

The keyboard has the potential to bring out the absolute worst in people. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

At least everybody's pretty good natured on here when things start to go out of bounds.  There used to be guys like NeoConMan and the guy with the Mushroom cloud avatar, arguing all the time about everything.  Some of these guys probably weren't the same person online as they were in the real world.

lol hbomb homz and neocon

On 3/3/2024 at 7:15 PM, bigtim said:

I wouldn't worry about it, telecasters are ugly anyway!!!

That his a first I heard someone say that. I know a lot of guys love them.  Not to get on anyones bad list, I would tend to agree with you, Lol. I had a Jaguar and every time I played it, the E strings kept going over the edge.  I ended up changing the bridge on it which helped and now our Granddaughter has it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Retired said:

I had a Jaguar and every time I played it, the E strings kept going over the edge.  

24” scale. Most people try to string them with modern “normal” strings, 10-46 ish. Too rubbery. 11-49 at a minimum. 12-52 even better. The Es are much less likely to roll and the guitar sounds bigger. Just my take. 

• Like 1