Gibson Brands Forums

What's your Go-To Guitar?

therookie_123

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There must be one you use more! Or not?

I have 13 right now but only use 1 90% of the time[biggrin] (and still I'm thinking about buying a couple more guitars wtf [cool])

That's what I was just thinking... I have eight guitars (not counting the classical, which serves an entirely different purpose), but I only use three for the most part. The others come into use when the first three aren't doing what I want - or are out of service.

My go-to guitar is usually my Epiphone SG' date=' but it doesn't have strings, and i'm waiting for my new wraparound bridge to be delivered, so i'm playing my strat right now.[/quote']

Thank God for that strat, I thought you were playing air guitar on that stringless epi [cool]

I agree with L5Larry on "the ES being the most versatile guitar". Straight out of the box, an ES 345/355 guitar with a Varitone can achieve basically everyting from a Strat/ Tele to the beloved Les Paul. With all my upgrades on my ES 335, its a monster. Looking to get a ES 355 Stereo with 3 Pickups complete with Bigsby and the push pull knobs.

There must be one you use more! Or not?

I have 13 right now but only use 1 90% of the time[biggrin] (and still I'm thinking about buying a couple more guitars wtf :-)

Well before I buy any guitar' date=' I research extensively and find the best one. I might spend 2-3 years looking for 1 guitar. But because I tour, and play gigs every weekend I constantly switch out my guitars. I guess you could say my 1958 Les Paul Junior is my go-to guitar. [angry I wouldn't dare gig my Les Paul Junior.

Go to:

lp.jpg

Utility:

002.jpg

I leave the Fender around for my buddies to jam on' date=' but the Gibson stays in protective custody. [/quote']

I added Locking Grover tuners to the Les Paul about a year ago. Very nice upgrade. Also replaced the pots and put in a couple of Bumble Bee caps that I pulled from an old radio. Bridge pick up is a custom wound alnico II. Neck is burstbucker pro.

Aside from caps and bridge pup, the Stratocaster is pretty much stock.

The Les Paul in my avatar. <---------------

By default, since it's my only electric. But it's the only one I need - I've had lots of 'wants' since I got it, but never yet could justify another purchase.

I am still enthralled by my new 2009 Gibson ES-335 Satin Black. I've had it since March of this year. I get great joy playing it unplugged, with Behringer V-Amp II & headphones, or weekly at a buddy's house with Fender amp.

Getting dusty are my Washburn 30 year old accoustic, Ibanez AF75, Ovation Celebrity, and the precurser to the ES-335, an Ibanez AS73.

Tom

Always my first choice. Does EVERYTHING well and it ain't just eye candy. Plus that KOA over Mahogany just produces a very unique sound and the tung oiled neck with LP Access type heel is just butter. Desperately needs a sunlight pic.

126508644.jpg

The R9 is a very close second when I am in the mood to snarl. Just doesn't do clean and blues quite as good as the Carvin IMO of course.

113370970.jpg

The Strat is a very close second when I am in the mood for Gilmour or Clapton.

124258191.jpg

So, you see how it gets more specific [for me at least] as I go down the list?

Not etched in stone mind you, but as a general rule . . . I'll reach for the CS6.

Archived