Gibson Brands Forums

Stand or sit......

stan 58

I do both it depends on my mood. I feel it is a good idea to play both sitting and standing.

If I'm doing serious practicing, or trying to master something new, I'll usually sit. When I let loose and just jam, it's standup time!! I also agree it's a good idea to get used to playing sitting & standing.

I play standing pretty much exclusively, unfortunately it has gotten to the point that I don't feel comfortable playing sitting except for my acoustic. This has proven problematic when trying instruments at guitar stores, etc. Definitely better to do both so you are a little more flexible.

I sit, most of the time, practicing. Don't know if that's good or bad?

Probably should stand more, to get better used to hand and arm positions,

while doing that, but it's never really been a problem. Or, at least, I never

percieved it, as such. LOL! I quite often "noodle" around, while watching TV,

etc. Would like to get more "serious," musically...but around here, there's not

much of that opportunity. People just don't get out, and go hear bands, or to

"dances" much, anymore. In the cities, they seem to do that, more. But, when

I was growing up (back in the "Dark Ages" of the '60's)...everyone was out,

especially on Friday or Saturday night (or both). It really was, just like "American

Graffiti," back then. But then we didn't have 300 channels, with quad sound, and

home computers, to mess around on, all the time. ;>) So...too much competition

these days, for our Leisure time, I guess? Damn...that was the long way around the

barn, huh? LOL!

CB

ha ha ha I remember in my teens taking my guitar to bed and laying here practicing all night. That was before I discovered girls of course. I think.....:-

Yeah, girls are much more fun to practice on, huh? Of course, now days it seems

like you'd both need to wear a "Wet Suit," just to be safe?! Never had THAT problem,

with a guitar. ;>)

CB

I used to sit almost all of the time up until about ten or fifteen years ago and now it's mostly

standing for me. I never played to perform in front of anyone so sitting was/is no problem. I

still always sit when I practice.

I sit 90% of the time, and have for years, because of better reach with the left hand. I actually find now that when I stand I have a bit of trouble with my left wrist as I need to bend it more to reach around the neck. The only way to relieve this is to hike the guitar up to my chest, which I'd rather not do. Does anyone else have this problem?

I was wondering if you stand or sit when praticing. I always stand' date=' and never sit, but I think thats probably not the norm. Stan.[/quote']

I almost always sit ... AND ... about a year ago I shifted the body so the neck is further away from my body. I play lefty so it rests on my right thigh. It was strange at first, but has made an incredible difference in my playing. If you're right handed, you'd rest the body on your left thigh. I really couldn't go back to the old way I did it. Try it. Anyone else?

Yeah yeah ... serious newbie here. I bought an EPI LP standard about 3 months ago. Still dialing it in and so far so good. I've changed the bridge, threw in a GFS LP kit and I put in 25 year old SD pickups. It's getting there.

You can tell when performing who stands or sits when practicing.

The guy that always sits has his guitar pointing to the audience.

The guy that stands has it nicely parallel to his shoulders.

A nice trick around that is to plop your guitar on your other knee.

I almost always sit ... AND ... about a year ago I shifted the body so the neck is further away from my body. I play lefty so it rests on my right thigh. It was strange at first' date=' but has made an incredible difference in my playing. If you're right handed, you'd rest the body on your left thigh. I really couldn't go back to the old way I did it. Try it. Anyone else?

Yeah yeah ... serious newbie here. I bought an EPI LP standard about 3 months ago. Still dialing it in and so far so good. I've changed the bridge, threw in a GFS LP kit and I put in 25 year old SD pickups. It's getting there.[/quote']

That's the classical guitar position.

I shift the guitar from one leg onto the other. Mainly because of the weight of my LP. Too bad I can't swap shoulders.

I'm relatively new to Epiphones too... not exactly a newbie tho....Got pics?

Well I have been sitting for the past 7 years since I stopped plying in band. But, just last night I was reminded how different it is standing up as I have joined a new band after all this time.

Man, strats are heavy on the shoulder!!

I almost always sit ... AND ... about a year ago I shifted the body so the neck is further away from my body. I play lefty so it rests on my right thigh. It was strange at first' date=' but has made an incredible difference in my playing. If you're right handed, you'd rest the body on your left thigh. I really couldn't go back to the old way I did it. Try it. Anyone else?

[/quote']

I studied classical guitar in college for a couple of quarters, so when it sit, which is most of the time, that is how I hold my guitar (20 years now). I just feel like I have more control of the guitar when I hold it that way. It also sits in your lap naturally more like it would if you were standing. I have tried hold it on my right leg from time to time, but it jsut feels so uncomfrotable and the body of the guitar seems to far away. I always use a strap when sitting, so the weight of the guitar is still on my shoulder, held by the strap, still it is very comfortable.

I practice & perform sitting. I used to perform standing all the time, now only at school. I started playing in my church worship band about 5 years ago. Our church has held several worship conferences in the past, and the guitarist that came in, Glen Pierce, always sat when he played. By the time I started playing with the band, that was the norm. I have to say I really like it. I use a lot of pedals when I play, including both volume and wah pedals. It's nice to be sitting when I'm using both them in the same song.

EDIT: (Forgot about my job!)

I teach music in an elementary school, so whenever I play there, I stand and walk around when I'm playing. Most of the time I use an acoustic/classical, but I have been using my electric a lot more lately. I am teathered to the amp, so I don't do too much walking with the electric, but is sure is fun.

Sit or stand? Either. It depends - and I've never analyzed what it depends on - I guess how I feel at the moment.

And referring to a previous post, when performing on stage (standing) I neither point the neck at the audience nor do I hold the guitar parallel to my shoulders, but somewhere between the two. The idea for me is to make my left arm and wrist as comfortable as I can while playing. I also hold the guitar higher than the metal guys but not as high as many photos of the Beatles. I feel the more comfortable my arm and wrist are, the better I'll be able to manipulate the tool.

Insights and incites by Notes

A little over two years ago, I began sitting in rehearsals due to problems with my knees. I used a band member's barstool and it worked just fine. I have since had one of my knees surgically replaced but have continued sitting for practice, rehearsal and most performances. Even got a really nice chair to use:

gaslift7.jpg

They are custom made by a company called soundseat and they are fantastic!

http://www.soundseat.com/

Archived