Gibson Brands Forums

First Learned Song On Guitar?

MrNylon

What was the first song you learned to play on the guitar? By yourself, by a friend or relative, in a guitar lesson, any way you learned it. Mine was "Row Row Your Boat", in a group guitar lesson in old Shoemaker's Music store, in old downtown Fort Lauderdale about 1967. Four people with their guitars and the teacher in a real small room upstairs. It's not there anymore, it's all gone actually.

Fully, knowing what chords I was playing all the way through and performed with vocal would be "Can't Help Falling in Love" on my Yamaha acoustic.

I'd played Electric for awhile before that though doing 2 string overdriven power chords, but couldn't have told you what the chords were.... if those count, then "Crimson and Clover"? Maybe Smoke on the Water?

Too many years ago.... [biggrin]

FIrst attempt at learning guitar, I think it was "my dog has fleas", sight reading music etc. Horrible teacher (wouldn't think of introducing chords until much more crap was gone through, no wonder I quit- think I was about 8). Mel Bay method if I recall, and she wanted to string it out as long as possible.

Next attempt, maybe a year or two later, along with first band, and first performance in front of my elementary school class was Sunshine of your love. But I ended up switching to drums briefly in there.

First song learned correctly all the way through, and the third attempt at becoming a guitarist was around 13 or 14, taught by a friend of my older sister, "My Sweet Lord" on acoustic by George Harrison. Much Cat Stevens and Jim Croce and other popular acoustic stuff followed, then I got him into electric.

Archived