Gibson Brands Forums

Top 50 Revolutionary Artist?

jaxson50

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuck Berry above Bowie?

Led Zep AND Jimmy Page? What's he done on his own?

MJ well down the list? He revolutionised video and dancing. Plus opened the market to black people.

and how can Dylan be above Elvis????

Stupid poll by stupid people.

No Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Pixies, Mike Oldfield or New Order?

Out of all the punk to include why include the Pistols? I like them. Never Mind the Bolocks is a great album. The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle would be almost as good if you cut half of it out. They were hardly the first to come along though. They were the poster boys of British punk and their popularity did get a load of new bands into the scene, but if it hadn't have been them it would have been someone else who popped their heads above the water first and that's not even including the influence of the New York bands.

How many of you even know who Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five is? And please give me a break but Jon Lord & The Stooges? How many of you have been influenced by these guys?

I know who Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were and I would also add Afrika Bambaataa and SoulSonic Force or maybe Public Enemy (the Bomb Squad put down some sick beats). And yes, the Stooges have influenced me greatly.

I would replace Nirvana with Sonic Youth. Without Sonic Youth there would be no Nirvana or Muddy Honey or Dinosaur Jr. or...

Jack White only makes the readers list? This lists are a joke, I don't think that Jack White has been super influential in music (in comparison to some other great artists) but seeing as it was all a popularity contest, he should definitely be up there. And I mean look beyond the White Stripes. Raconteurs, Dead Weather AND he came up with the triple decker vinyl. He's an amazing guy

of, pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a revolution, or a sudden, complete, or marked change: a revolutionary junta.

lets not confuse "popular" with "revolutionary"-my list-

Robert Johnson

Leo Kottke

Duane Allman

BB King

Elmore James

Jimi Hendrix

Roy Buchanan

Mike Bloomfield

Chuck Berry......

the list goes on but I think you get my drift....

Archived