Gibson Brands Forums

i DO NOT like jimi hendrix...

S t e v e

LOL, you're putting two things together, which have nothing to do with one another.

My statement that some people claim Kurt Cobain or James Dean became more popular after their death is merely a statement of fact. Some people do claim that. I didn't say these people are right or wrong. I merely stated that some think this.

When I said we should be able to discuss things objectively, I meant without personal insults like "loser" and disparaging remarks like "BS".

You're the mod, aren't you? Is it really conducive to friendly forum-discussion, when people do things like that?

I've seen people banned for less...

[blink][lol][blink]

I seldom use the roll eyes thingy but here ya go [rolleyes]

As the old saying going, everyone "loses" at something at some point in thier lives, but it's better than being quitter

As for "friendly," and "conducive"... well I'm sure you haven't always wore that itty bitty ribbon of addressing people in the most conducive matter.

and yes I'm a mod here [rolleyes] .... another rolleyes thingy for ya [biggrin]

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny you mention Cream, 'cause I always wonder what Hendrix, Baker, and Bruce would have sounded like.

Have you seen the reunion Cream DVDs ??? They are amazing........Interestingly, I have wondered the same thing.........Hendrix was begining to explore real jazz right at the end...

That would have been something........Like many guitarists from those days, Hendrix was a guitarist who inspired me to play....A handful of members actually saw Jimi play,

and they all say that he was amazing.......All Jimi's live footage is really something.....and to know that he was only 27........

It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like Hendrix, after all, I don't like some artists, but, I sure like Jimi..........Mastering a song like 'Little Wing' , and doing it well takes a lot of time

and practice.....and that song alone teaches much about technique from many angles......one angle is how to write a lovely kick *ss song that stands up to any song

from any genre..............................Death happens; as an artist, I will leave behind art and music ( and a sad woman and cats ).........and I hope no one starts a thread called " I Hate Damian."

In Shaar Murray's excellent book; Cross Town Traffic: Jimi Hendrix and the rock n' roll revolution, he actually writes about how Miles Davis and Jimi had actually spoken about working together on a jazz/fusion project msp_thumbup.gif Sadly ike Randy Rhoads' plans on studying classical guitar, we can only imagine how things would have developed :(

My experience of studying music in higher education, is that Jimi Hendrix is regarded by many musicologists as one of the most important figures in the history of rock. My old professor Dr Martin Vishnick, a composer and guitarist, when I asked if he thought Jimi was a genius, replied back "definitely"

Matt

ps msp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gif

This was said by Joe Satriani

"99 percent of time when I am on stage, I am thinking about Jimi Hendrix"

Look Steve accomplished what he set out to do.

Make a statement he knew would cause a bit of a stir (although he probably never expected 5 or 6 pages of stir) and talk about something he found interesting for a few days.

Nothing on a internet forum is gonna change whats pleasing or not to your ears or mine.

I own a few Hendrix albums. I haven't listened to them in years but I get him and his proper place in guitar player history.

It's the same with a number of artists.

I have never bought a Led Zep album. I just never could sustain any interest for what they were doing for 2 sides.

That being said I know why others love them and know their place in history and have played some of their stuff live.

However I would never start a thread entitled I Do Not Like Zeppelin without expecting to get hammered a bit or cause a stir on purpose.

'spect Steve wouldn't either.

Look Steve accomplished what he set out to do.

Make a statement he knew would cause a bit of a stir (although he probably never expected 5 or 6 pages of stir) and talk about something he found interesting for a few days.

Nothing on a internet forum is gonna change whats pleasing or not to your ears or mine.

I own a few Hendrix albums. I haven't listened to them in years but I get him and his proper place in guitar player history.

It's the same with a number of artists.

I have never bought a Led Zep album. I just never could sustain any interest for what they were doing for 2 sides.

That being said I know why others love them and know their place in history and have played some of their stuff live.

However I would never start a thread entitled I Do Not Like Zeppelin without expecting to get hammered a bit or cause a stir on purpose.

'spect Steve wouldn't either.

Cookie you are such a lovely soul!msp_thumbup.gif

Disregarding the negatives in the thread, I have enjoyed (as always) reading people's opinions on why they like/dislike something.

Cheers over and out

Matt

Have you seen the reunion Cream DVDs ??? They are amazing........Interestingly, I have wondered the same thing.........Hendrix was begining to explore real jazz right at the end...

That would have been something........Like many guitarists from those days, Hendrix was a guitarist who inspired me to play....A handful of members actually saw Jimi play,

and they all say that he was amazing.......All Jimi's live footage is really something.....and to know that he was only 27........

It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like Hendrix, after all, I don't like some artists, but, I sure like Jimi..........Mastering a song like 'Little Wing' , and doing it well takes a lot of time

and practice.....and that song alone teaches much about technique from many angles......one angle is how to write a lovely kick *ss song that stands up to any song

from any genre..............................Death happens; as an artist, I will leave behind art and music ( and a sad woman and cats ).........and I hope no one starts a thread called " I Hate Damian."

Yeah, I have the reunion DVD and the '68Farewell DVD. I find the reunion much more enjoyable. They're playing together, not against each other. And the mileage of each player shows (in a good way). The seasoning and professionalism shows through, and they still are very lively and vibrant players. They haven't lost a step.

Here's what I think about Hendryx. You have to look at him in the context of the times. Nobody had ever laid the foundation for the type of playing that he did. He was out there on a limb playing like nobody else had ever done. He didn't have a bunch of predecessors to learn from.

The other thing about him is this. He had a style of playing that was very unique and stylized. He didn't play stacatto style with a hard pick attack like Clapton (and subsequently Moore). He kept the heel of his hand off the guitar and had a smooth strumming style of picking, which allowed him to play rhythm and lead at the same time. He played more (I don't even know what to call them) partial chords and arpeggios. He used his fingering hand to do a lot of muting.

And you got the impression that he always played at like eighty percent effort instead of 100 percent. That gave him the freedom to just play and let the music happen instead of trying to force the music out.

[thumbup]

One or two aspects to ponder regarding the 'Magic of Jimi'

Jimi is more interesting than Jimmy...immediately catches the eye....

Jimi was a unique recruit in the 'Blues Invasion' of the 60's

An American leading an English rhythm section

Jimi was highly intelligent and could talk well to camera

The interplay with Mitch Mitchell was crucial to the fantastic drive to their music...ie Moon/Who and Baker/Cream...

Jimi had great imagination, and partly through drug use, felt he could attempt anything he wanted to...

V

:-({|=

Cookieman, pretty much hit the nail on the head.

But I'll add. Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion. But when you make an unsolicited negative post on a music forum regarding an artist that is universally recognized as one of the most brilliant, talented etc of all time, well what do you expect?

Come-on man! +:-@

Oh, my. To me, listening to Jimi is a wonderful, extensive, fulfilling lovemaking session that leaves me craving more; listening to Steve Vai - one of your heroes - reminds me of trying to have sex with a woman who knows all kinds of tricks and brings all kinds of bizarre devices, but ultimately leaves me totally unfulfilled. I remember going on a car trip with some friends of mine and one had a hard on for Vai and kept listening to that CD with "Sex and Religion" on it...I wanted to throw the damn CD out the window I was so annoyed.

I admit that I listen to many artists way more than Hendrix, but when I need a fix of Jimi, I REALLY need it. Some of his work is just mind-boggling to me.

But I respect your opinion, and will argue you have every right to it. I got a similar reaction when I started an anti-Buckethead thread.

It's because you're a cult :)

He had some

Mind blowing stuff, still is mind blowing. Gotta love that fuzz

But it is more than that. Rock & Roll, specifically the electric guitar, saved my life. I would be another teenage suicide statistic if it weren't for the guitar. When I hear those fuzz tones it makes the hairs on my arms and neck stand up; I can feel it in my soul.

This'll be my last post on the subject. Not once did I "steve bash" and I've got to say a lot of the posts like Tman7523 or whatever it is flat out saying Steve has bad taste is worse than anything else.

People attacking others opinions with opinions is about the most common and least productive thread spinner on the internets.

Steve I'm glad you're such a fan of something, I totally sympathize with lots of stuff others aren't big fans of. To be clear though, I'm also not posting videos of that stuff on a daily basis.

/I'm done

But it is more than that. Rock & Roll, specifically the electric guitar, saved my life. I would be another teenage suicide statistic if it weren't for the guitar. When I hear those fuzz tones it makes the hairs on my arms and neck stand up; I can feel it in my soul.

True, honestly, I'm not really sure what I would be doing without the guitar. It has opened up my life to so many things

And kind of on topic, posts that completely bash Steve are stupid. I understand where Steve is coming from, he's just saying that he doesn't like it when guitarists are shoved down his throat. However, this thread is obviously trolling. He got a ton of reactions from people and made some others look like idiots by themselves. He hasn't been around for most of this thread

Live and learn, but don't be a ****

I understand where Steve is coming from, he's just saying that he doesn't like it when guitarists are shoved down his throat

He should take his own advise. Honestly, Fred, I like Steve he seems like a good person but these threads he's starting lately are wearing thin with me:(

What many of you fail to appreciate about Hendrix was that his guitar was part of him. He was a genius who spoke thru his guitar. Few artists have the mastery of their medium the way Hendrix did. And he talked with his guitar the way many people converse, inventing on the fly, even surprising himself. I heard a recording where he's doing a take of "Angel" when he makes an especially rich, improvised key change, and you can hear him laughing with delight in the background. If you don't appreciate Hendrix, you don't appreciate the most inventive artist in the history of Rock.

What many of you fail to appreciate about Hendrix was that his guitar was part of him. He was a genious who spoke thru his guitar. Few artists have the mastery of their medium the way Hendrix did. And he talked with his guitar the way many people converse, inventing on the fly, even surprising himself. I heard a recording where he's doing a take of "Angel" when he makes an especially rich, improvised key change, and you can hear him laughing with delight in the background. If you don't appreciate Hendrix, you don't appreciate the most inventive artist in the history of Rock.

Amen. When he played he became one with the guitar, you could not tell where Jimi ended and the guitar began. I know that key change you refer to and it is spine tingling to hear someone so in tune with his music, his instrument and himself.

Meh.

Jimi was Jimi, and you either get it or you don't.

While I like Steve because of his passion for what he likes, I don't understand his need to compare "best" to " other" or whatever.

I personally have a hard time with folks who think that (this guitarist, or that) poops cookie-dough... There is good and bad to be found in them all.

I like to listen to what I like to listen to, and leave it at that.

Okay, speaking as one from roughly the same era of rock playing, but from a very different musical background and concept...

Hendrix never did anything I cared much for. Part of that likely is physical - one develops certain stylistic things in one's muscle memory that fits what one wishes to do with the guitar - and the other part is mental since one plays what is aesthetically pleasing to one's own ear or at minimum, what one tries to master because of a paycheck. I never had an inclination to try to copy his stuff - nor did anybody I knew.

I never considered him anywhere close to the top of the heap of guitar players in those days. Some pretty hot blues and rock guitarists, yes, but of a more "traditional" sort.

Frankly because of the "style," I have a hunch that Hendrix is another example from that time period of "right time, right place" as much as anything. There were a lot of talented performers in that period. Most of 'em nobody has heard of 'em. A few of the older guys on here may have been in that number, or at minimum knew some of 'em.

The folks who were "discovered" by the big record companies and got the promotion would depend on hitting the right time and place. Who you knew, what circles you would hang around with, what you were looking for...

Remember that we're still talking an age with three or four network type television stations, perhaps three or four "rock" radio choices in most markets, and the promo from a few record companies that might even pay for airtime for their artists whether legal or not.

Now add the drug culture, etc., and the effect that had on who and what kind of music the record companies thought would sell. Right time, right place, right style for a wilder player.

But his fans even today should realize, too, that they're hearing somebody the record companies thought would make money for them in a very different era.

So... What would he be were he not to have left the world early? Heaven only knows.

m

Spot on riverside.. and Milod

hendrix, like the beatles just didnt do it for me. it doesnt mean i dont understand their place in musical history. It also doesnt mean that my opinion or anyone elses is wrong. opinion is just that... opinion.

Whether the o/p was trying to get a reaction or not, he is entitled to say what he feels, just as everyone else has the right to say their piece as well. I dont think we need personal attacks, patronised or condecended too because opinions differ.

milod, I have the utmost respect for you and your opinions, and that is why I am surprised by your response. I can appreciate that Hendrix is not your style. I realize that Link Wray and Leo Kottke have your utmost respect, but in my opinion, neither can hold a candle to the genius of Jimi Hendrix. Segovia, yes... Kottke, not even in the ball park.

Archived