Gibson Brands Forums

your first GIBSON?

S t e v e

Led Zeppelin, Yardbirds, Cream, Stones, Beatles, Byrds, Blues,

Buffalo Springflied, etc.

Same stuff, I play now, ironically...among others, though not always

the same songs, as back then. But, some of them.

That LP Custom, and the SG were "amazing" through that Marshall Major! ;>)

I was very fortunate, at a young age, to have great Gear. Better than I deserved,

for sure! Too bad I'll never be more than "adequate" (at best) now, as a player. ;>(

A 30 year hiatus, does (unfortunately) have "consequences." ;>b

CB

Yes, you had some amazing gear and played some awesome stuff! My favorite era of Rock music is the late '60's. I was born in '68. I guess My Mom listened to good stuff while she was carrying me. Give your hands some time. All that playing dexterity you had must still be hard-wired in the brain somewhere. Give your muscles time to catch up.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you had some amazing gear and played some awesome stuff! My favorite era of Rock music is the late '60's. I was born in '68. I guess My Mom listened to good stuff while she was carrying me. Give your hands some time. All that playing dexterity you had must still be hard-wired in the brain somewhere. Give your muscles time to catch up.

Yeah, is was (definitely) a "magical" era, for Rock & Roll. But, every decade has great music.

And, thanks, for the words of encouragement. I'm realistic (always have been) about

my playing. It's "just for fun" now, anyway. ;>) Between CRS and mild arthritis,

I'm doing well, to play as well as I do. (Smile) But, I'll keep at it, as long as possible!

Cheers,

CB

My first Gibson was a late 60s or early 70s SG.... I was a drummer but this guitar shop was going out of business and I bought the guitar because it was so beutiful. I didn't even play guitar at the time but it was a good deal and I had always wanted to learn to play guitar. I wasn't able to get into it back then and I ended up trading it or selling it i don't remember....

A 1978 or 79 "The Paul." Two friends who worked in a local music store "acquired" it somehow.

I borrowed $200 from my dad to buy it from them and paid him back weekly from my job bagging

groceries.

I used that guitar for quite a while in my early bands. Eventually I spray painted it white.

Then I sold it - for about $200 I think. Don't have any pictures of it unfortunately.

The first Gibson that I could play when I wanted to (my Dad's) was an early 1960's MM (2 pup, single cut) It was stolen from a gig in South Dakota of all places in the late 1990s.

After that, I played my Dad's 77 SG that got passed around the family. Its in need of a refret, new pots, and switch, but we elected to keep it original (all but 2 broken knobs). In retirement at my Dad's house.

My first Gibson that was ALL mine was a Les Paul Smartwood 2000ish. It played okay (was a pretty average guitar), but I broke the headstock and stashed it away. Traded it later for a Vox AC30.

My first super-dope Gibson is my 2007 Standard Plus Blonde Beauty. Still have it.

So my complete Gibson history:

1960s Melody Maker

1977 SG

2000 Les Paul Smartwood

2007 Les Paul Standard Plus

Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute. Purchased September 2010. I had not played electric for 30 plus years; acoustic only.

Love the Studio and those P90s. Heck of a lot of fun to play.

It was my midlife, post divorce, parent passing, almost lost my job, gift (instead of a sports car). 2010 was a hell of a year.

studioTribute6x3.jpg

And then...hmmmmm...I should get another one..

My first Gibson was and is a 1994 Nighthawk Standard that I got when I turned 16 in 1994. I went with my dad to our local music shop to buy a black SG standard when I saw the Nighthawk. It looked way cool to me and I loved it when I played it. So, we boought it! 17 years later, I still have it and finally got the black SG a few years ago!

photo6.jpg

Mine was a melody maker bought by my parents in 1974. Single pickup, cherry colored. 60s model. Man what I would do to have that dude back.

It looked like this

ED2213.jpg

But I don't remember the little plate that said melody maker. Oh well. I'm sure it was there. Maybe I can find a pic somewhere at my Mom's house.

Hell I was 14 back then.

2010 Ebony SG Standard

Wasn't looking to buy a guitar. My son was off checking out GC's basses so I amused myself with a game I used to play.

The game was "Why can't I find a Gibson I like." [confused]

Tried a Cherry SG Standard and as always it was just wrong for me.

Picked up its neighbor (the Ebony), plugged it into an AC15 and fell in love! [thumbup]

I swear it felt like it was made for me. Everything about it said, "Take me home."

So I did! [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...

Charlie Brown, that is one monster of a first Gibson! [thumbup]

Mine was a 2005 SG Special. Long gone, no regrets.

Thanks, R9...sorry, I didn't respond, earlier. Must have

missed your post, somehow. ;>b

Was your SG Special, a "VOS" version, with the "correct" beveling,

or the standard version? Sure wish Gibson would go back to the

'60's beveling, on ALL SG's. So much nicer looking and feeling,

too...IMHO, as always. ;>)

Cheers,

CB

Mine was a black '71 ES-335 that I bought in '85 for $500.I had bought a Mesa/Boogie MKIIC+ a few months earlier,and with the Gibson semi,I guess that I invisioned myself to be the next Larry Carlton,LOL!Anyways,with several dead spots on the fretboard and overall poor tone,the guitar was definately not one of Gibson better efforts.Eventually the guitar was traded for a mint late '70's Ibanez Artist [like Bob Weir model] that I gigged with for several years.My first "good" Gibson was a '79 The Paul [with Seymour Duncan '59's] that I bought in '94 for $400.

Ed

My first Gibson was and is a 1994 Nighthawk Standard that I got when I turned 16 in 1994. I went with my dad to our local music shop to buy a black SG standard when I saw the Nighthawk. It looked way cool to me and I loved it when I played it. So, we boought it! 17 years later, I still have it and finally got the black SG a few years ago!

photo6.jpg

How does your LP Studio Faded Brown play? Any problems with it or is it a good guitar?

I'm just curious because it's my first Gibby, bought in June 2010. and plays great, feels great..Just awesome guitar for me.

The only problem that I had with it was that my strap pin(screw) actually went out of the wood, like it unscrewed but it damadged my guitar's wood a bit. I was lucky enough to have a glue for gluing wooden airplanes that actually transport people and glue it back...

'05 flying v. I think I was on 2 meals every 3 days for a month afterward (it wasn't a well planned purchase) but it was worth it ;) Back when i was in high school my dad offered to get me a LP Std for a grad present but I wasn't interested in "old people guitars" at the time. Kind of good in a way I guess. It would be beat to crap now and I wouldn't have had an appreciation for how nice of an instrument it was.

DSC00067.jpg

Archived