Gibson Brands Forums

your first GIBSON?

S t e v e

late in '81 I bought a '75 LPC natural finish, 3 pc. top w/OHSC for $600.......played it 2 yrs. and sold it for the same amount to pay my divorce lawyer....the only pics of it were left w/my 1st wife when I walked out on her (she was borderline insane).

the 1st Gibson I still have is my baby....

GarysCam062.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first Gibson was the 1975 Ripper you see in this shot. I bought it in a pawn shop in Miami for $125 in 1987. If it has been a Jackson it would have been $600 back then. My Second was the the 1990 tobacco burst Flying V I'm playing in the shot. I bought it in 1990 from Ed's Guitar in Miami. I gave him $200 and 6 import crap guitars and basses for it.

Portland.jpg

Sold both of those for a down payment on a house..... Still regret it.

What kinda tunes did you play on them at the time?

Led Zeppelin, Yardbirds, Cream, Stones, Beatles, Byrds, Blues,

Buffalo Springflied, etc.

Same stuff, I play now, ironically...among others, though not always

the same songs, as back then. But, some of them.

That LP Custom, and the SG were "amazing" through that Marshall Major! ;>)

I was very fortunate, at a young age, to have great Gear. Better than I deserved,

for sure! Too bad I'll never be more than "adequate" (at best) now, as a player. ;>(

A 30 year hiatus, does (unfortunately) have "consequences." ;>b

CB

i consider my self lucky and blessed. i have had 3 first gibsons

my first gibson was my first archtop. a 1961 l7 that had pickups added.

my first solid body electric gibson was a 1996 les paul special. my first FAT GIBSON TONE.

then, my 1st flametop, 1st lp, of corse was a milestone as well.

while i am lucky and blessed to still have them, the memories of when i got them and what i did with them of corse will always be with me. thank you for reminding us.

Some great stories here!

Mine was in about 1981. Bought a s/h LP Custom, Cherry 'burst. Don't know how old it was then but I'd guess it was from about '75.

Had it about a week before it dawned on me that it was one of Norlin's duds. I was so disappointed. Over the previous six months or so I had been playing a friends near-identical instrument and it was an absolute cracker. I hadn't appreciated that seemingly very similar LP's could, in reality, be so very different.

Took it back to the shop (I was well known to them) and swapped it for something which turned out to be even worse.......

P.

My first Gibson was a '77 ES-335 that I bought used in '79. It had a gap in the solid block under the space between the pickups. To this day, I don't know when that design feature began or ended. I ended up trading that guitar for a '64 Twin Reverb around 1981. I don't really miss that guitar, but I've had many since that I miss like hell. After I dumped the 335, I went on a rampage (which continued well into the 80's), buying or trading for dozens of vintage Gibson hollowbodies cheap from classified ads (those were the days). In '81, I got my second Gibson, a '64 Barney Kessel regular, which I ended up trading toward a '53 ES-5 a few years later. I haven't had a Kessel since, and have been jones-ing for another one lately.

Although I've always been mostly a full-depth hollowbody archtop guy, my current favorite guitar is a '62 Epi Sheraton.

I almost never venture outside the "Vintage Gibsons" forum... glad I found this thread.

Archived