Gibson Brands Forums

Why did you start playing guitar?

Kimbabig

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A post in another topic by Andy got me thinking. Why did we all start playing the guitar?

since i was about 6-7 i grew up listening to bands like ozzy, v halen, kiss, fleetwood mac, eagles...all the stuff my mother used to listen to, so i was always exposed to guitar based music and i always loved the sounds that the guitar made.

the day that made it all happen for me was when i first heard gary moore's "blues alive" album back in 93"...and the rest as they say is history [thumbup]

For me, since the age of 3, I was just always drawn to guitar. I thought they looked cool. I used to bang around on one of my dad's cheap acoustics. Then at the same age, dad got me one of those Harmony 1/2 size acoustics of my own! Then when I was a few years older, I seen the photo inside the Aerosmith "Pump" album where all the guys were huddled together, Whitford with that vintage strat and Joe Perry with that black Les Paul. That was it, I HAD to have an electric guitar then!!! :D

I was born in 1953. My father always played in a band and the guys would come to our house and practice. Dad played the Trumpet and they had a guitar drums and I really don't remember all of the other instruments.

When I was in grade school the British invasion started and music started to change very rapidly. I had started playing the Trumpet in band because I was following my fathers instrument of choice but I also got me an electric guitar and started to teach myself to play. It was much cooler to be a guitarist and a singer than it was to play the Trumpet.

I no longer have a Trumpet and have not played one for 40 years but I have several guitars and I play every day. Playing is a great way to express yourself and your feelings. It is also like taking a trip down memory lane by playing the songs that I grew up with. It was a great time in music to be a young man because I got to watch and listen to many, many changes and they happened.

I wanted to play music and my parents suggested i join the school band. I picked saxophone, then after a year and i was playing decent, my teacher said I should double up on the clarinet becuase "that's what sax player's do".

Went in to SamAsh to get some reeds, the guy had to go find my brand from the back, so I wandered into the guitar section and picked up a Strat because I recognized the shape. I was just sitting in a chair, hitting strings and a guy walks up to me with a cable and tells me to "plug the damn thing in already". I told him I didn't know how to play, and he showed me the power chord and a Green Day song. My mind was blown. With the push of a button I went from sweet chimes to nasty dirty grit. I felt and still feel like it is easier for me to express myself with the guitar than it ever was with the clarinet or sax.

That, and chicks dig guitar way more than saxophone. I mean you can't sit on a couch next to a girl and just start playing the sax, thats weird [flapper]

It wasn't a decision, I always knew I was going to play. I attribute that to my Dad playing a lot when I was in my developmental years and always having a guitar around. Plus my parents would let us sit it on our laps and pluck away at the strings.

That, and chicks dig guitar way more than saxophone. I mean you can't sit on a couch next to a girl and just start playing the sax, thats weird [flapper]

there should be a vid of me shredding going around my school right now, my friend was at my house and filmed me with some super high gain Eb tuning shredding on my flying V. I told him to show the video to random women.

The very first time i plugged in an electric guitar and turned up the Tube crunch knob I was hooked, that ballsy hard rock sound thrilled me. i only knew 3 chords but i played them over and over bathing my self in a wall of overdrive until my fingers bled. Then i did the same the next day and the next day and never stopped since.

If i can quote someone famous (can't remember who) possibly Springsteen. "For me, picking up the guitar and learning to play is the easy bit, putting it down again is the difficult part."

I'd wanted to do it since I was about 8, for no reason other than I thought it'd be fun (I thought right), eventually my parents caved and let me get one. I just wanted to make music.

My cousin Kathy. She played guitar, I thought it was cool, so I taught myself to play. Looking back, though, I've always been drawn to music... and up to a point, was practically always in a band , even if it was just some grammar school kids singing and playing air guitar.

[thumbup]

mom. dad, and gramps all played at some point in their lives, and my grandmother played mandolin.

Just carrying on family tradition.

that and as I got in to high school, I realized how much tail playing rock and roll could get you.

Beast... First, I know what you mean about wanting to get away from the piano. So in the 4th grade I started trumpet, soon was in a school band... and played trumpet through high school in school and gig band settings until a cupla years into college.

But when I got out of high school the folk thing was in high gear. I always wanted to play music and you just don't play a trumpet much in a high school or college dorm. You can play a guitar if you don't overdo it noise-wise.

The guitar was a perfect choice because various guitars/styles can do everything from pre-baroque to folk to 'grass to jazz to blues to rock to... whatever you want. It can play more or less solo like a piano, or in any sort of ensemble.

My own family... we sang. Dad had an old Stella-type super-cheapie in the attic but I never saw it played. My Mom played a little piano and we had one, but... My folks, later my sis and I, did a lot of vocal duets. Mom and Dad were quite good, and in the early-mid 1950s did a lot of performing.

So the guitar was a perfect option for almost anything I'd want to do in music that was relatively portable.

m

Guest FarnsBarns

I played a cornet and was being taught about chords and relative scales by my father, it was tough because my dad had never played any valve instrument so I had to find notes he was playing on his clarinet. Also it was a very high pitch cornet.

One day my older brother's friend came round with a Sunn Mustang strat copy, it was red and white. He had learned the Top Gun theme from s book and was playing it, I pointed out it wasn't quite right but he wouldn't let me play about to find the right notes (something I was quite used to by now). I went up in the loft and got my mum's nylon acoustic and worked out the melody in about 10 minutes and waked into my brothers room playing it. He was impressed and told my mum. She bought me the same Sunn Mustang but I knew better and got a black and white one ;) .

That was it. That was a terrible guitar but I loved it. I traded it in after a year or so and got 15 quid for it!

Remember Andy Griffith playing the acoustic in the evenings for Aunt Bee? My mother always wanted that so she she bought me a guitar and sent me off to lessons when I was 10 or so. Been playing ever since minus a few years when I was going through some personal troubles. Every once in a while I'll go home to visit and bring the old acoustic out of retirement to play for her.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so there wasn't really anything to do or anyone else to do stuff with. It was all about finding things to do for yourself. And there was a guitar in the house so I think I picked it up out of boredom and just played around with it before I even had a real interest in music or any guitar heroes. I did other stuff too when growing up, like drawing for example. I probably spent more time trying to copy various comics than I did playing guitar up until I was 16 or so and eventually guitar took over all my other hobbies.

When I was a very little kid, my grandfather had some singles by this guy named Les Paul. I loved them, and still do. Mom was a singer and my uncle played a big old Everly Brothers black acoustic, so it's in the family...

I just kept hearing all this geat 50's guitar stuff on the radio, and it never really was a decision-I have wanted to play since I was old enough to listen.

mark

My cousin used to take me to his college dorm when I was a kid. He would play Beatles and Dylan songs on his old Stella acoustic. I thought it was so cool! He gave me the acoustic and that was it!

It was torture on the left hand though - steel strings and high action, and my little 12 year old fingers.

I was more into Rock though, and eventually my Dad got me my first electric (Fender lead III) when I was 14. Been mostly electric ever since. Though I am more of a bass player now.

I remember seeing the Commodores on TV and the guitarist played the solo on "Easy" with the fuzz box (sounded like fuzz, not amp), and I thought "I gotta play electric!".

I was 15, and for lack of something better to do, a bunch of us went to a Kingston Trio concert back when they were really popular (yeah, I'm old lol). Small town show, but for me a real revelation. As I watched I thought "those guys are having a blast!" and I decided there and then that I was going to learn to play. Fast forward a couple of years, British invasion and I'm playing in a rock band. Life was good!!!! [biggrin]

Archived