Gibson Brands Forums

What guitar tone or effect can you NOT stand?

kaleb

Ring modulation, ping-pong digital delay ( John Petrucci--even though I like some of his stuff ), super-sanitary clean tones ( I prefer using my guitar's volume knob or just picking a little lighter or with my fingers-------THERE HAS TO BE SOME BREAKUP!!!), scooped mids, high, bite ya in the ear treble, washed out chorus, heavy spring reverb ( unless it's a surf or dramatic blues tune ), and even phased-out distortion. My bass player hates reverb. I can't say I love it, but a TAD of spring reverb is nice ( my 93' Peavey Prowler 1x12 has spring reverb. Once that knob is at 12 o' clock or higher, the sound gets drowned out ). However, I do like plate reverb. I am not a very fx-type player. All I like to use is a tuner, overdrive, flanger, and a wah. I don't use delay, as analog is too short and wet for me and digital, well, you know! I don't mind real tape echo, but it's impractial to spend $1000+ on a real Echoplex or something like that when I could just buy a new guitar or an old JCM800 or JMP. And it is hard to maintain. Of course, unless you're Eric Johnson or something.....:) Like I said, I am not the fx-type. I just like to sit back, pop open a Pepsi, and shut up and play my guitar! Oh, by the way, I CAN"T STAND EFFECTS LOOPS!!!!!!!

Chorus tops my list. Reminds me of the early days of digital FXs, rack units, and super hot pickups that produced flat cleans so they needed to spruce them up. Now when I hear chorus I think of the eighties or my pedal board in college. Allah, why did I use that?

Not a fan of flange, but it does not offend me.

I am learning to love delay. Has to be analog, though. Not a fan of the digital delay/digital reverb *all* of the shredders use. Then again, they would hate my use of spring reverb so we're even.

Chorus tops my list. Reminds me of the early days of digital FXs, rack units, and super hot pickups that produced flat cleans so they needed to spruce them up. Now when I hear chorus I think of the eighties or my pedal board in college. Allah, why did I use that?

I am learning to love delay. Has to be analog, though. Not a fan of the digital delay/digital reverb *all* of the shredders use. Then again, they would hate my use of spring reverb so we're even.

I like a bit of 'flange'. \:D/

Any strat into any version of tube screamer into anything remotely resembling a Super. Wish I had a nickel for every guitar player I've seen embarass himself to death, but thought they was just the bomb because they use...well, you know, what He used.

rct

For me, like 99% of the time I hear flanger I hate it. I really don't like flangers.

You should check out a chorus that does some cool vibrato with a tweakable waveform. You put it before a delay and I don't know how you could not like it. I get what you're saying about chorus though.

Also, you would definately love my digital delay. Trust me.

For me, like 99% of the time I hear flanger I hate it. I really don't like flangers.

You should check out a chorus that does some cool vibrato with a tweakable waveform. You put it before a delay and I don't know how you could not like it. I get what you're saying about chorus though.

Also, you would definately love my digital delay. Trust me.

a pair of BOSS DD7's or even mix a MXR carbon copy in there and well you can get some pretty dang good Gilmouresque sound on sound creations, I think that is the best part of a delay pedal.

/end thread hijacking.

I hate a thin, harsh tone of any kind. Also hate all the "Metal Distortion" pedals that are out there now. I hate the sound of pissed of bees, which is what you get with the "Metal Distortion". No tone, just distortion. That being said I also don't like the super clean sounds, I like it when you can get your guitar sounding like an acoustic, but any more than that....

Actually I think most effects likely have at least some excellent artistic utility some of the time, and potentially in about any style of music.

The problem to me is that we tend not to use them sparingly, but as a major part of our diets.

I absolutely love good mashed potatoes and roast beef gravy - but heaven help me if I had to eat it three meals a day. Yet that's what it appears that many modern bands tend to do.

Mostly I use my multi-effect simply to thicken my light string habit. Most of the time that's all. For a while I did more to get a keyboardy sorta sound, but it seems that didn't go over all that well. Playing with others doing some blues type stuff, sometimes it makes good sense to use my Leslie emulator and mentally stop playing guitar and start playing a B3.

So...

m

a pair of BOSS DD7's or even mix a MXR carbon copy in there and well you can get some pretty dang good Gilmouresque sound on sound creations, I think that is the best part of a delay pedal.

/end thread hijacking.

Carbon Copy is analog. It is an analog delay trying to act like a digital delay, but it is still analog. I should know since that is what I use.

SRV tone.

I didn't want to whip out my Strat hating card, but I agree with you 100%. SRV also only loved the finesse & skill part of Hendrix's playing. You gotta be down with the sonic assault part too or I won't listen.

I think most effects have their place. Frankly, in my own playing I don't ever feel tempted to use much in the way of effects, unless I'm doing something trippy/ambient/noisy. When I record with my band I run through a Roland Micro Cube. While I like a good amount of distortion (and unfortunately, on that amp you need to turn the treble all the way up to get any of the models to really distort decently) for both rhythm and lead stuff (I play industrial metal--what can I say?) I don't use effects very often. I keep a pretty dry sound. Occasionally, if I want an effected lead tone (maybe like early Saint Vitus) I'll use a narrow phaser and a touch of reverb. When I do shreddy stuff I like to use the very subtlest touch of chorus and a touch of digital delay. Unfortunately, the Micro Cube is a pretty mid-heavy amp, and I'm really feeling a more scooped sound for this current band. I think that I'm going to need a pedal to help me out with that kind of distortion before long. If I'm using a pedal I'm gonna go back to my Marshall MG10KK--it has a better clean channel than the Micro Cube.

I happen to like scooped-mids and aggressive metal distortion. In fact, I'm probably a little too fond of distortion.

Archived