Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD ... Again!

midiman56

So ... you all know how it is ... you leave your home, not expecting the day to be anything special. In my case it was just another day at work, getting the store ready for the big Memorial Day sale ... new truck being unloaded in the warehouse ... dotting the "I's" and crossing the "T's" ...

Then suddenly, you see her! Out of the corner of your eye at first ... not even really registering conciously ... except there is something that makes you look again ... and that "look" is all it takes!

I've never owned a G400 or an SG before except for my SG Prophecy GX, which really is a different sort of animal. This one really put the hook in me for some reason. Light, well-balanced (really!)with an amazingly wonderful neck and fretboard ... and the sound! I've heard G400 pickups described as less than satisfying many times. Either Epiphone changed them, or I just have a tin ear ... this one sounds amazing! Bright, but smooth and responsive with a great woody tone, and it takes to OD and distortion like a duck to water!

So anyway, folks ... meet my brand new Epiphone Custom Shop, Limited Edition, Void Where Prohibited, Batteries Not Included, Your Mileage May Vary, Children Under 17 Must Be Accompanied By An Adult Guardian, G400 Walnut!

G400Walnut03.jpg

G400Walnut04.jpg

G400Walnut05.jpg

Life IS full of surprises, huh?

Jim

Nice. If it had the satin finish I'd probably go buy one now.

I just noticed on the GC site it says: Neck pickup: Alnico Classic humbucker , Bridge pickup: Alnico Classic Plus humbucker.

And the regular G-400 is listed as: Dual Alnico V humbuckers

Maybe that's why it sounds better. I personally find the neck PUP on my G-400 to be pretty muddy, and I really don't use it for that reason.

Then suddenly,

So anyway, folks ... meet my brand new Epiphone Custom Shop, Limited Edition, Void Where Prohibited, Batteries Not Included, Your Mileage May Vary, Children Under 17 Must Be Accompanied By An Adult Guardian, G400 Walnut!

G400Walnut05.jpg

Yup!

Congrats,

Willy

Awww ... you guys!

Thanks as always for all of the nice words. As I've said in that past, sharing NGD's with such a great group makes it even MORE fun!

@ CB: I'm really not all that bad. I go months and months without a single purchase ... this one just came on kind of shortly after the last one!

@ Pete.R: Yep ... happily married. As long as the bills are paid and nothing is being "repo'd" to finance guitar GAS, we are all good in the hood here!

@ Doug: Thanks for the heads-up on the pickup situation with this guitar. I knew it sounded great ... possibly these are a different set of pup's after all!

@ Brian: This one retails for $399 ... about $50 more than the standard cherry and black, and about $100 more than the vintage satin finish.

@ DoubleWide: When it comes to great guitars like this ... it's first come, first served"!

So far, I've changed the strings, given her just a slight going over with the old screwdriver (she didn't need much at all!) and otherwise just played the hell out of her. You know, with every new instrument I buy or at least play from this company, I am more and more convinced that anyone who dismisses Epiphone out of hand has just not played one. As far as I'm concerned, you can skip all of the old, "good ... for the money" and "beginner guitar" disclaimers ... these are simply EXCELLENT instruments!

Jim

Beautiful Jim.

Love the walnut grain.

Is that solid walnut or veneer?

Also great to have a loving wife that respects your passion as long as it stays in check.

Just bought my 17th this month.

All she said was "you like it, it's paid for, enjoy it."

Have fun with it.

Mark

...or I will have to send my Uncle, Don Squirreloni, around to 'make you a HNGD offer you can't refuse'

35419bigthumbnail1.jpg

Oh God ... this one made me spit Diet Pepsi across the room! Thanks, Stuart!!! [lol]

Mark and Magneezo asked about the "composition" of this guitar. It is "solid walnut", but then again, "solid" is such a funny word. Actually it is made from three pieces of wood (you can see it clearly on the lower edge of the guitar), but there is no veneer. You can see the sections on the top of the guitar if you look ... the tight verticle grain of the wood hides it pretty well though.

Jim

I like it a lot Jim !! and you're right about Epis p'ups improving......I have a '98 LP with really bad p'ups, my '05 G400 Deluxe p'ups are a lot better, and my '08 Sheraton II and '10 G400 LPC p'ups are absolutely beetchin !!

The overall quality improvements of the MIC guitars has just gone off the chart compared to 2-3 yrs ago too !!

I'm not sure what your new guitar looks like. Maybe I got inot this thread a bit late, but there are no pics that I can see. All I see is the same ol' "This picture has been moved or deleted" from photobucket.

From everyone's comments it sounds like a nice guitar.

Archived