Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!!

Artie Owl

Ok, so this is a bit embarrassing.

I went to L&M this morning before work, because it was customer appreciation day. I got to talking to them about my Nighthawk and how I was starting to consider just getting a Strat for that twangy hard blues/rock sound.

I strummed a few and juggled the idea of waiting for the Epi, until I held this one. The guys working were like, this is a hell of a guitar, there's just something about the neck, and they're right, it's just as such for playing.

But, it was $1000 (500 more than I budgeted for the Epi)

I said I'd think about it, left it there and walked away. Spent the rest of the day trying to argue it either way in my head. Got home and my future wife and I went for a walk while the weather was still decent before the rain. I told her my argument and she said "sounds like you already know what you want, and it's only 1000$ more?" She asked.

"No, it's only $500 more, it's 1k total" I says.

"Oh! Well go get that one then, jeez."

I love that woman [biggrin]

Btw, it's colour is called "Charcoal" and it is a great colour I think.

261684_10150222778413704_502293703_7066936_5351509_n.jpg

263505_10150222778608704_502293703_7066940_7599871_n.jpg

259887_10150222778668704_502293703_7066943_447007_n.jpg

251005_10150222778783704_502293703_7066947_2137605_n.jpg

What's embarrassing is how much I talked about the Nighthawk, maybe I'll find a used one someday, I still want it, but this one is for keeps.

Cool, dude! I'm not really a Strat guy but I LOVE Fenders. I just love the sound and feel. Hope you guys can forgive me but I've been playing my Tele so long that my SG doesn't feel right. Maybe it's cause my Tele has 10s and my SG has 9s.

Good call on the maple fretboard.

Also isn't the satin back glossy front finish on the neck like the best thing ever?

that's an awesome looking Strat. Congrats on having a woman who does not have a heart attack when you get a G.A.S. attack.

My wife is not so bad when it comes to this stuff... she will often be the voice of reason that tries to talk me out of majority of my gear purchases but can usually tell when there is something special about whatever I'm drooling over versus the typical G.A.S. I normally suffer from. I'm guessing either I get a certain look in my eye or something about my voice when I talk about it or something, I don't know - either way she doesn't protest when she sees that getting a certain piece of gear means a lot to me. :)

And don't feel embarrassed about choosing a strat over the Nighthawk... think about it the nighthawk series was intended to directly compete with Fender by offering something that sounded more like a strat. Ultimately if there is no substitute for a strat, just like there is no substitute for a Les Paul...entirely different sounds that I personally feel compliment each other in a 2 guitar band. Lately I've been craving a strat since I've now got my Gretsch for my hollowbody tones, and my SG and Les Paul for my solid body humbucker sounds... The strat is a logical next step for me even though I still wouldn't mind another Les Paul or an SG Standard.

Congrats, that's a beautiful Stratocaster!

IMO you did the right thing by going for the guitar you knew felt right as opposed to hoping the other would be ok once it got to you.

And a Strat is basically a perfect guitar: Tone for days, and nothing is more comfortable to play.

Enjoy!

[thumbup]

Archived