Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson plants at nashville and memphis raided?

Thundergod

The law is the law... if they break it they deserve to be closed and the people responsible for it to be jailed.

I see people taking sides "$·"% govt, closing Gibson for using illegal wood!" and that's just wrong.

If we had it "your" way there would be no trees left to cut down and build more guitars.

I already have enough and don't plan on buying anything from Gibson in a long time, so it won't hurt me or affect me in any way. [flapper]

Today's occurrences seem to be a follow up of the same investigation, not a whole new issue. The Feds did not do press any charges the first time around, if they didn't it is because there was no evidence found.

It looks like you are taking a side too.

Something smells fishy, Martin, Taylor, PRS, etc are not being raided or investigated with the same intensity. Gibson quit using Brazilian rosewood a long time ago, yet other people seem to have an endless supply of "old stock".

Hell if things get bad enough with wood supplies in the USA guitars will be made in the 3rd World where you can buy anybody and break the few(er) rules that exist anyway.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my gosh!

Has the world gone mad? [scared]

How much of our tax dollars went into this stunt by some over zealous, green-loving bureaucrat trying to save the world one tree at a time and justify to his superiors his existence as a government pleeb? [cursing]

The treaty obligating the government to do this was signed by the US in 1973 (in Washington DC by 80 different countries btw) so this isn't exactly a new thing. Enforcement actions have been ongoing for a long time. And the government has spent way more trying to get Barry Bonds, Rodger Clements and Lance Armstrong than they have on enforcing this treaty. Although I'd suspect this is the result of some terminated employee trying to get even with Gibson so they're acting on some "inside" information rather than any long term investigation.

Guys, dont worry, I think, good sound can appear on electric guitar and without rosewood... etc., not worse at least, maybe even better. Guru Les Paul was very impressed by the sound of the string tensed on a rail [woot] , seems, but Gibson hasn't believed to him again in time :) .

Honduran Mahogany is illegal. Brazilian Rosewood is illegal. Madagascar Ebony is illegal. It's illegal to air ship celluloid binding. If we keep going in this direction nitrocellulose finishes will soon be illegal....

"Why can't Gibson make them like they used too!?"

I've been following this case since the first raid. There really seems to be nothing much to it.

....If we keep going in this direction nitrocellulose finishes will soon be illegal....

Not sure what the justification for that statement is. NC is very prevalent in many industries (esp. woodworking), but no longer made in the US, and probably won't go away. NC is made from cotton, wood, and other sources of cellulose fiber.

[confused]

I would dare to say the amount of wood that is used in one year at a large guitar manufacture, is used up in three days at a large furniture manufacturer..... [scared]

I say buy rod iron furniture with glass tables [thumbup]

"Rod Iron"?

[huh]

In a sense, it's my guess that what we have to a large degree is a matter of federal agencies working like mad to justify their existence.

As has been mentioned, guitars per se need not be taken unless there's a certainty that genetics of a given wood species could be proven to be from a forbidden source. The corporate paperwork should show whence came the wood.

I one way I doubt that politics can entirely be removed from this discussion, much as one seeks to do so. "Politics" and regulation has become part of everyday life, and more so during difficult economic times.

I never forget how, when a nascent OSHA attacked my newspaper employer they required an exhaust fan 15 feet off the floor level to have a safety grate over it - but a huge pot of molten lead into which one might accidentally dip one's hand was left alone because it wasn't written into regulation. The entire electrical system had to be rebuilt including in the news department where there were at the time no electrical apparatus except the sports editor's AM radio. A year or so later the family that owned the newspaper sold to a big corporation on grounds it could not by itself keep up with regulation changes.

m

Technology has already made all this moot. There's no need for

"musicians" or instruments, anymore, really. At least, not in a

recording sense. It can all be done digitally. Heck, even now,

in Japan, they have a "Virtual Idol," that makes personal appearances,

and concert stage shows. Real Instruments, (and maybe, musicians...God Forbid)

will eventually become passe, or at best, a novelty!

So, get 'em (and play 'em) while you (still) can...Gibson's, or otherwise! ;>)

CB

Damn environmentalists and their bull$hit...................................They need to leave Gibson alone and let them build guitars like they should be doing today. Not sitting around because the government has too many laws to know what to do with.

You haven't been out in the world much, I take it. The word isn't 'Providence' ... it's stewardship.

I don’t think manufacturers in China will be hassled like this. We in the West are doing a pretty good job of destroying our industries.

It’s the same here in the U.K, everyone is drowning in bureaucracy. We have Quality assurance, professional development, risk assessment, health and safety and Human rights.

All those regulations introduce another “layer” of non productive workers, (who all earn more than the people producing the goods that we sell) and countless man hours are wasted producing paperwork to satisfy their checks, and pity anyone who doesn’t keep their recording and filling up to date.

So don’t start crying when everything is made in China (and, of course when it is the Chinese can then put up their prices!)

Do you really think the Chinese give a dam about the environment?

Ian.

Archived