Gibson Brands Forums

How to annoy your teenage son....

saturn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be more socially active/have more friends than him. and act cool [cool]

Being a dad myself, I have no time for friends, plus I lost my cool at some point in my 20's [biggrin] .....

I prefer being a support tool for my kids cool.... in other words I'm good with being low level background music [thumbup]

Fill his room up with gear he neither wants or needs, get involved in the only thing he loves and make it your own, talk about him on the internet about other people who you don't know and have no business judging your son. and complain about how picky he is, even though compared to many guitarists he is not picky at all. Also, when you talk to those guys make sure you get your son's opinion on it first because you really can't tell the differences of the sound of one amp for another, and thus you need his opinion so you can talk about it.

Fill his room up with gear he neither wants or needs, get involved in the only thing he loves and make it your own, talk about him on the internet about other people who you don't know and have no business judging your son. and complain about how picky he is, even though compared to many guitarists he is not picky at all. Also, when you talk to those guys make sure you get your son's opinion on it first because you really can't tell the differences of the sound of one amp for another, and thus you need his opinion so you can talk about it.

in the words of meatloaf...you took the words right out of my mouth, although not while kissing :blink: [blush]

Ain't had kids. But yeah, from teaching various stuff, I think there's been a tendency in all recorded history for teens to find ways to differentiate themselves from so-called grownups.

It's part of cutting the umbilicus with the exception of neolithic-type cultures where retaining that tie is part of the obvious need for basic survival. Even there, one finds a need among the youngest biological "adults" to feel they must prove they are up to it. That's one reason for rites of passage that our own society largely has forgotten as we force the age of adolescence into the 20s.

m

I have a 14 year old and a 9 year old. They have their friends come over and see all the music gear and suddenly I am the one they want to talk to. It annoys the crap out of my oldest. It helps that I am 36 and the rest of his friends parents are in their late 40's

I recently got in a bit of a road rage incident with a teenager. at the lights the teen got out of his car and kicked my rear bumper. Apparently me doing the speed limit annoyed him.

Now Im kinda a big guy. so when I got out of my car the teen looked like he had just thrown a rock at a hornets nest he never meant to hit. It happened when two of my sons mates were in the car.

I got back into the car to a chorus of wow Colin that was awesome I cant believe you got out of the car ( I actually got out to see if he did any damage) when he threw a punch the situation changed.

I am now the guitar playing bad *** who throws people on to the hood of their cars. :P this annoys my oldest even more so.

what can I say I had a fight with the ex and wasnt in the mood lol: :rolleyes:

#1.

waited till he went to school then moved all his crap into the shed in the backyard, change the locks..left a note with a key for the shed that said "here's the key to you're dig's, diner will be served on the back porch when I feed the dog...be there or starve". When he wouldn't wake up to go to school, I tossed his bunk and planted him face down on the floor. Gave him two choices go to school or go to work.

#2. I just refused to bail his dumb *** out of jail when he was pinched shoplifting....I had to do that once, after spending the weekend in county lock up! #2 was like putty in my hands...he is now a veteran of the USCG and a teacher.

I have a 14 year old and a 9 year old. They have their friends come over and see all the music gear and suddenly I am the one they want to talk to. It annoys the crap out of my oldest. It helps that I am 36 and the rest of his friends parents are in their late 40's

I recently got in a bit of a road rage incident with a teenager. at the lights the teen got out of his car and kicked my rear bumper. Apparently me doing the speed limit annoyed him.

Now Im kinda a big guy. so when I got out of my car the teen looked like he had just thrown a rock at a hornets nest he never meant to hit. It happened when two of my sons mates were in the car.

I got back into the car to a chorus of wow Colin that was awesome I cant believe you got out of the car ( I actually got out to see if he did any damage) when he threw a punch the situation changed.

I am now the guitar playing bad *** who throws people on to the hood of their cars. :P this annoys my oldest even more so.

what can I say I had a fight with the ex and wasnt in the mood lol: :rolleyes:

You threw a teenager onto the roof of a car and the police haven't showed up at your door yet? Wow!

I'm not saying wether they should or not. But I would think they would have a field day with that.

People with sons are rookies, they have no idea the real look of disgust only a teenage daughter can give. And they can win any arguments easily, all they do is bring up the boyfriend and ask how old you were when you first tried sex and then smirk as you walk around clutching your chest hoping it's the big one and promising that they are grounded until their mid thirties at the earliest. [crying]

Been there done that and amazed I survived it!

People with sons are rookies, they have no idea the real look of disgust only a teenage daughter can give.

When my daughter got to college, I found out what the word "actually" really means. "Actually" means that you have no flippin' idea what you're talking about, and how dare you try to enter into this discussion without my permission! [rolleyes]

ive got a 5 year old.. all i have to do is say "ohh nice barbies" when he is playing with his super heros, and the debate begins..

how he gets me..

is as soon as i start jamming a rythm or riff that im jiving with hard, he shows up and asks me to turn it down because he is "constipating" i think he means concentrating.. but we will figure that one out later in life.

start liking the same tv shows and music they like and try to hang out with them and their friends when they come over. ...oh, and even if you know who the actors/musicians are- pretend to be totally clueless and get their names wrong whenever you talk about them. Also if the music is from a band, get the band name wrong and mix up the song titles.

Our local high school girls volleyball team plays their last regular season game tonight. They're looking for a perfect 30-0 winning season.

I've occasionally covered them as a team and as fundraisers for local cancer programs and they've asked me as a group to please be at their game tonight whether I cover it or not.

Teens can be great people, but they need to feel they are growing into adult mode while they also need a bit of oversight to help keep them aware of consequences of a lotta choices they might make.

It's a lot easier for the old guy they see running around with a camera to seem like he's nice while supporting both sides of their growth than it is for parents.

m

thanks for sharing man, and good luck to those girls! 30 - 0 would be awesome.. i think its cool they reached out to you and asked that you be there. support them on many levels man. and that is what life is about. helping the next generation.

Archived