Gibson Brands Forums

Buckle Rash.

pippy

Watching the recent footage of Peter Frampton with his 'long lost' FCA LP brought this topic to mind.

PF shows the interviewer the rear of his famous guitar and points out the large area of (belt-) buckle rash before adding words to the effect that "this bit's new" : as-in someone else - playing the guitar after it was presumed lost in the crash - has created more wear on the reverse of the finish. I found it amazing (and rather endearing) that even although they had been apart for decades he could still remember how much wear there should have been on the back of his old LP!

Which brings me to the question;

How much care do you all take with your guitars' rears? Do you treat them all equally or do some merit more 'kid-glove' treatment? Do you even give a toss?

Personally speaking, although I abide by the 'dents will come; regardless' philosophy I still, whilst at home, always remove my belt before strapping any of them on (there's no need to inflict avoidable damage) but, curiously enough, I've never bothered to remove my belt on the odd occasion when I've played at my local 'Open-Mic' night. As a lifetime Levi's wearer rivet-marks are always inevitable but I'll still usually have my t-shirt out over the waistband to help reduce the depth of worming.

How well do you treat your instruments - both 'at home' and when playing out?

P.

I try to take good care of all of my guitars but when i'm playing i just focus on the playing so maybe once in a while i'll move the guitar and then boom i'll hit something and dent it. One thing i have to say is that the Gibson MM dents so easy its hard not to dent it. Though i do love a worn look...a real one!

I ding all my guitars quickly and don't care too much but for some reason belt buckle rash bothers me,

When I was a teenager my brother had a 1965 Fender Mustang, the guitar had a lot of wear but no belt buckle rash at all, leave it to me to put it there, I felt so stupid for doing that back then that it stuck with me.

I do not even clean my guitars, bad habit, I know.

I really like to use a "Scratch Pad" on the back of my guitar (only on when I'm playing. Removed after and then git into its case). Works for me. Even on the Ric's & Fender Nitros.

Nothing faster, cleaner, or better at protecting the back side. You can cut to size if you need to for your "special" guitar backside. Have 2 of them.

Aster

ScratchPad.jpg

I am quite careful in that I don't wear buckles etc and leave my shirt untucked, but I am not obsessive about it and I don't really have any buckle rash on any of my guitars that I have done. Some of my vintage guitars do have a bit of rash from former owners. I believe it is not technically buckle rash in these cases but is mojo.

I have an age old, tried and true solution to the rash problem [thumbup] ......my belly sticks out past my buckle. [flapper] and if I wear the right kind of shirt, the back of my guitar gets buffed. [laugh]

Haha, yes me too none of my guitars have buckle rash probably for the same reason as you (and there was me thinking it was just an old family secret).. and probably cos I generally dont wear a buckle [thumbup][flapper]

I'm cautious to a point, but not obsessive. Some dings, dents, rash, etc. is just gonna happen. That said, I do try to minimize those possibilities (don't play standing up with jeans and a belt, etc.)

Sort of like the first ding on a new car...you know it's gonna happen...just not when [unsure]

When I was a kid you always could tell the pickers 'cuz they wore their belt buckles not in front but on the left side far enough that it wouldn't hit the instrument.

Nowadays... I dunno. So far as I can tell, as an old man I ain't been all that hard on my guitars regardless that I wear a pretty big buckle. Sitting more or less "classical guitar style" ain't been a problem either.

m

Not one of my guitars that I bought new has buckle rash,I guess it's just the way I hold the guitar and because I only wear small buckles.Years ago I used to do up my wide belts and buckles to the left side as Milod said.

When I was a kid you always could tell the pickers 'cuz they wore their belt buckles not in front but on the left side far enough that it wouldn't hit the instrument.

I have actually done that if the breeks I'm wearing would fall down without a belt. I didn't know it was a solution as old as the hills (no offence intended, Milo!) but then, there's little truly new in the world!

P.

I use a mechanic's belt with no buckle. This minimizes and almost eliminates the rash. Of course I still have buttons on my shirt, but they don't scratch much.

I don't handle my guitars with kid gloves, they are tools, tools I use to make a living, and like any tool, they will get worn. On the other hand, I take care of my tools as I need them to make a living.

Many people hear music with their eyes, so cosmetics are important to me. But that doesn't make me go overboard either.

I bought my belts from a guy who used to just sell them to mechanics. Mechanics need them so they don't scratch your car when they lean over the fender. He recently bought a new domain name for the same belts http://musiciansbelt.com and you can get them there or just put "Mechanic's Belt" into google (I have no affiliation with musiciansbelt.com, I'm just a happy customer).

Insights and incites by Notes

I don't agonize over every little nick and ding, I just like to be prudent to protect the longevity of my guitars.

I usually rotate my belt buckle to the left so it doesn't contact the back. I take special care to do this when I'm in a guitar shop. As well as being good etiquette, the guitar shop owner appreciates that and will let you try out the 'good' stuff.

In a pinch you can pull out your shirt tail in front to cover it up or wrap a wash cloth around the buckle.

Archived