Gibson Brands Forums

How have y'all been

duane v

Hey Gibson heads, just thought I'd pop in and say howdy..... It has been a crazy 8 months at work with one project right after another.... I'm still in my office as I'm making this post (since 7 AM).

Hope you are all doing well.... And buying more guitars..... And speaking of guitars, I picked up this old girl just recently... Really couldn't resist her.... She's a 1980 Firebrand Deluxe

329CA34D-F01E-4D89-8409-78949458299D_zpssctx2njq.jpg

57240EED-9439-4C13-8656-F222E7F538C0_zps1bpovjo6.jpg

356E2720-1D1A-4FFC-B6F4-808461F44D49_zps6mdy2ugj.jpg

Same here... i'll be visiting Parramatta August

Sorry Duane but I'm in a whole different area. We are 300 kilometres east of Melbourne, but I hope you enjoy the harbour city, it's a great place.

What do you think of that Firebrand?

Definitely needed a pickguard.... To me it feels like a Les Paul Junior on steroids... Still trying to figure out what kind of wood species it is.... Some say mahogany while others say walnut..... Cant understand why these guitars are so under-priced and undervalued... I picked up this lady at $450 and no damage.

1980 was the year I got married, so I remember some of it. I remember them being called Walnut at the time, but that may have been the stain on it. So that was no help whatsoever.

rct

What a fantastic get at $450! . Very nice.

Sounds like you've been working your a$$ off. Hope you still got time to spend with your stable. BTW, I still haven't gotten over the black Gibby 12-string you snagged. . Oh well . . . in December I acquired a really nice 12-fret all hog 12-string - the Taylor 562ce. . B)

1489554384[/url]' post='1841646']

Hey Gibson heads, just thought I'd pop in and say howdy..... It has been a crazy 8 months at work with one project right after another.... I'm still in my office as I'm making this post (since 7 AM).

Hope you are all doing well.... And buying more guitars..... And speaking of guitars, I picked up this old girl just recently... Really couldn't resist her.... She's a 1980 Firebrand Deluxe

57240EED-9439-4C13-8656-F222E7F538C0_zps1bpovjo6.jpg

356E2720-1D1A-4FFC-B6F4-808461F44D49_zps6mdy2ugj.jpg

Nice guitar! Howdy back at you..

Yo Duane...

Good to see you about... And that firebrand is real nice.. I also really like those Gibsons... Id snap that up in a second....

And yes it does look a bit Walnuty.... But actually walnut and mahogany can look quite alike... Check out this body blank im thinking about buying.. If it didn't say what it was id have guessed some kind of mahogany.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/West-African-Walnut-guitar-1-piece-body-blank-tonewood-planed-both-sides-w21-/282393007901?hash=item41bfef571d:g:UZMAAOSw4CFYxcMy

This is however what wiki says

The Paul THE PAUL STANDARD

Description: A single sharp cutaway Les Paul-style walnut body, set walnut neck, 22-fret ebony fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, walnut headstock overlay with gold Gibson logo (1978-1981) or Gibson logo branded into the headstock (Firebrand, 1981-1982), three-per-side tuners, tune-o-matic bridge, stop tailpiece, two exposed humbucker pickups, four knobs (two v, two tone), three-way pickup switch, chrome hardware, available in Natural Walnut finish, 24.75 in. scale, 1.6875 in. nut width, mfg. 1978-1982. It included such high end items as the Grover tuning keys and the Tune-O-Matic bridge. Affectionately called by some, "The Coffee Table Burst" [1] because of its natural finish[2].

The Paul Deluxe: (Firebrand) similar to The Paul Standard, except has a mahogany body and three-piece mahogany neck, available in Antique Natural, Ebony (198586), Natural Mahogany, or Wine Red (198586) finish, mfg. 1980-86. There is pricing information available for purchase for this model.

In 1996, the model was resurrected with the Paul II, with a mahogany body and carved top like a Les Paul Studio instead of the flat top of prior models of The Paul. The body is 2/3 as thick as a normal Les Paul and features a rear belly cut as well. In 1998 The Paul II was replaced by The Paul SL, itself discontinued in 1999.

Hey, Nice to see you around, Duane!

As Rabs (and Wiki) says it should be mahogany for the Deluxe version but it looks more like walnut to my (untrained) eye. Odd.

Whatever; it's a gorgeous lump of guitar! Ebony 'board, too. NICE!

What P'ups does it have, nowadays, do you know? Di Marzios?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Yes I am still a Mod. Lol

As for the Walnut / Mahogany deal, if I didn't have an SG200 Walnut slab, I would think my Firebrand was Walnut too... but you can see the difference in the wood side by side.

Hey, Nice to see you around, Duane!

As Rabs (and Wiki) says it should be mahogany for the Deluxe version but it looks more like walnut to my (untrained) eye. Odd.

Whatever; it's a gorgeous lump of guitar! Ebony 'board, too. NICE!

What P'ups does it have, nowadays, do you know? Di Marzios?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

It has the Dimarzio DP103 in the neck and the DP 223 in the bridge

.... And buying more guitars..... And speaking of guitars, I picked up this old girl just recently... Really couldn't resist her.... She's a 1980 Firebrand Deluxe

Almost identical to my 1st real guitar.. "The Paul" but mine had the original Tim Shaw pups, speed knobs, and no pick guard. Nice guitars and great bargains then and now... I bought mine for $200 in 1981. I later spray painted it white to get a Randy Rhoads look and sold it for $200. Think I made a couple of mistakes there. Good to see you around, Duane.

It has the Dimarzio DP103 in the neck and the DP 223 in the bridge

Ta for the reply.

So those are the 36th anniversary set? From what I've read they seem to have a very good reputation.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Archived