Gibson Brands Forums

State of the Forum

Buc McMaster

There ya gomsp_thumbup.gif

Yup.

When I read some of this stuff, I tend to become bemused and shake my head in wonder at all the angst. If (rarely) someone gives me the Jimmy Brits, I cannot be bothered to respond. Way too many better things to do. Plus, I'm a legend in my own mind and I always agree with me; so there! [flapper]

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup.

When I read some of this stuff, I tend to become bemused and shake my head in wonder at all the angst. If (rarely) someone gives me the Jimmy Brits, I cannot be bothered to respond. Way too many better things to do. Plus, I'm a legend in my own mind and I always agree with me; so there! [flapper]

Rhyming slang may need 'splainin to your American cousins here. Oh, never mind...

Hi Folks

I've been quiet on the state of the forum as it has taken yet another turn. I lurked here for several years before I started contributing 7 years ago.

I decided to contribute when several trolls were putting out false information. My information was very unpopular but accurate. Long story short there was a pretty vicious back and forth and the mods finally stepped in and banned several folks. That was fine but the forum slowly took another direction. Information was no longer the main topic but people started posting their talent in the form of posting vanity recordings. I mentioned this as a turn for the worse in the direction the forum was going and got flamed for it. The Forum took a big turn and the change was what drove many of the original posters off. Pity...There are folks that post their talent here playing Martin and other guitars. What the hell??? This is a Gibson Forum. Please take your talent and go to the Martin forum

I still have many contacts at Gibson and I do have much info on the shipping numbers, codes, and that sort of thing. I try to keep the information posted here as accurate as possible.

I loved seeing the expertise grow here. Guys like Juan Carlos have learned a lot over the years and are great members to have. Guys like Guitarstrummer and Jerry K. have been bullied in the past and left leaving big holes in the information pool. Bob R. (RAR) passed and the forum sort of changed from a place to get information to a place to showcase talent. The guys I mentioned were regular members of the "Gibson Homecoming" and really learned their stuff first hand. Guitarstrummer was the guy that started the "Homecoming" and his expertise is sorely missed.

It took a while for me to accept, but the change is what it is. Many of the "Homecoming" folks post on other forums and their information can be obtained there. It's just a matter of evolution and not necessarily a bad thing. If JC leaves there will be a big gap in accurate info so I will continue to lurk here and keep the record accurate for the folks that are interested. So....

I was sort of hoping that John Thomas would be more active here and get the info ball rolling again but Gibson chose to do him a big disservice and he only posts from time to time. Pity.

The "Homecoming" is going to take place in a couple of months and it would be nice if a couple of others would come to Bozeman and see what things are all about. This would get the excitement of the reality of Gibson Montana going again. So... How about it Juan Carlos? Come to the Homecoming and hang out with your pal Don and the rest of the guys and gals. How about it Bindboy, ThemisSal, Fortyyearspicken. I would like to meet you folks. Everyone is welcome at the "Homecoming".

The "Homecoming" was designed to help people understand Gibson Montana and how they and Henry do business. You can visit the plant for tours and ask any questions you want. There are no secrets. They even have two open mikes in the evenings and anyone can showcase their talent. Many do and it can be a great evening of entertainment and bonding.

I hope the Forum will continue to evolve and just maybe it will get back to a place where folks can come to get information about their Gibson Guitars again.

Hogeye - We dont see eye to eye on everything, but I have immense respect for you, and the information you bring. When you don't post its a loss for us all. I do disagree on some of the music showcase aspect, but that's fine. I will look into the June 7-10 homecoming. I think my son is spending a month in Jackson Hole studying that month, and i I can swing a trip to see him, and combine it with Bozemon I will be thrilled. I have two Gibsons (my J50 and an LG2-AE) that are mine, and a few more I have given my sons. My LG2 is trade bait; I may bring it, and perhaps its low dollar value goes towards a really different Gibson.

I will update you as my son's plans crystallize.

I also know that when you are blunt - its never personal. Be well my friend... and please post. And when folks are sensitive I hope they all get over it. I can take it. Grunt and EA can take it. Many more can take it. We should rib each other, laugh at each other, and support each other. This is still the best acoustic forum hands down.

Well hogeye

Would be trip of a lifetime for me getting from Ireland to there.

If I ever do make it , I'll buy you a beer

Fair play to ya

I agree with ALL you said

I'm guilty of the 'vanity' songs , but I do mean to entertain and it's always in my mind that it's a guitar forum and folk can type all day about strings and how a guitar should or shouldn't sound

Bt I give you my word , I do it so folk can hear an example of what a guitar sounds like when singing a song , which is what they're made for

Peace to you and yours

The "Homecoming" is going to take place in a couple of months and it would be nice if a couple of others would come to Bozeman and see what things are all about. This would get the excitement of the reality of Gibson Montana going again...

We'll be in Yellowstone late fall for the rut. I would truly love to get to Bozeman and enjoy a tour, Mrs would too. I've been to the other two American Guitar Companies, she's been to the one in California, and while I don't own any Gibson acoustics they are well represented in my electrics. The Homecoming thing is a cool idea, hopefully it will continue and we'll plan an early summer Yellowstone/Teton/Jackson trip one of these years.

Keep up the good dope.

rct

The "Homecoming" is going to take place in a couple of months and it would be nice if a couple of others would come to Bozeman and see what things are all about. This would get the excitement of the reality of Gibson Montana going again. So... How about it Juan Carlos? Come to the Homecoming and hang out with your pal Don and the rest of the guys and gals. How about it Bindboy, ThemisSal, Fortyyearspicken. I would like to meet you folks. Everyone is welcome at the "Homecoming".

The "Homecoming" was designed to help people understand Gibson Montana and how they and Henry do business. You can visit the plant for tours and ask any questions you want. There are no secrets. They even have two open mikes in the evenings and anyone can showcase their talent. Many do and it can be a great evening of entertainment and bonding.

I hope the Forum will continue to evolve and just maybe it will get back to a place where folks can come to get information about their Gibson Guitars again.

You're right about the Homecoming, Hogeye...I went once about five years ago. It was a wonderful trip to a beautiful part of the country and capped off with the Gibson experience. I wonder if i met you there...that's where I met Jerry K, guitarstrummer and RAR. I agree..this place is different without them. I miss them.

Yes, the forum has changed over the years and it will keep changing. I pop in every so often to see if there is a tidbit that interests me....sometimes yes, sometimes not so much.

I would only like to add a few of my own personal thoughts.

1: I like everyone here, I don't know anyone in person.. beyond what I read and how we communicate here.. but despite the warts, it's the best forum around.

2: I like the "song posts", I love hearing someone's own take of a song.. and I like hearing songs I'd otherwise never knew existed. in short, I have no issue with a vanity post, and I don't care what it's played on. The off brand snarkyness is childish.. it's a f---g guitar for chr--- sakes.. who cares if it aint a gibson. I for one don't. stop it already... (This is where like half the arguments start. the other half is people coming here with the only intent to b--ch about gibson quality control. ignore the freaking trolls, there is no need to feed them.)

3: IMO KS does a fine job policing the forum, it's volunteer work I assume,, he doesn't have to do any of it.

4: If you're hot about something, that's fine, we all get pissy sometimes.. just think about it before you hit Submit.. is it really worth getting into the cat fight?

Almost always the answer is NOPE... The way the forum is run is mostly up to each and everyone of us. we can diffuse a thread going south, or, we can pour some gas on it, and casually light up a smoke.. it's really up to US.. the members.... There's enough bs going on,, don't really need to happen here.

just sayin..

I would only like to add a few of my own personal thoughts.

1: I like everyone here, I don't know anyone in person.. beyond what I read and how we communicate here.. but despite the warts, it's the best forum around.

2: I like the "song posts", I love hearing someone's own take of a song.. and I like hearing songs I'd otherwise never knew existed. in short, I have no issue with a vanity post, and I don't care what it's played on. The off brand snarkyness is childish.. it's a f---g guitar for chr--- sakes.. who cares if it aint a gibson. I for one don't. stop it already... (This is where like half the arguments start. the other half is people coming here with the only intent to b--ch about gibson quality control. ignore the freaking trolls, there is no need to feed them.)

3: IMO KS does a fine job policing the forum, it's volunteer work I assume,, he doesn't have to do any of it.

4: If you're hot about something, that's fine, we all get pissy sometimes.. just think about it before you hit Submit.. is it really worth getting into the cat fight?

Almost always the answer is NOPE... The way the forum is run is mostly up to each and everyone of us. we can diffuse a thread going south, or, we can pour some gas on it, and casually light up a smoke.. it's really up to US.. the members.... There's enough bs going on,, don't really need to happen here.

just sayin..

I pretty much feel the same as Ray.The forum has been an extremely enjoyable place for me.

We all feel slighted by others put downs at times.Generally this has been a good humored place.

It's good not to invest too much emotional attachment to anything happening here.A break now and then helps too.

Information was no longer the main topic but people started posting their talent in the form of posting vanity recordings.

I think you're being unnecessarily limiting, Hogeye. There seems to be room for both informational posts and recordings and videos here. Who has time to read and listen to all the posts anyway? You've got to be selective. I just check through the "New Content," see if anything sounds interesting.

There are folks that post their talent here playing Martin and other guitars. What the hell??? This is a Gibson Forum. Please take your talent and go to the Martin forum

No flaming here, but I disagree. I came here because of the Epiphone forum (and for the education), but then you get to know a little about the people here, and that's why you keep coming back. People like to talk, to connect, to vent, to commiserate. A lot of that will be about our common Gibson/Epiphone guitar interests, but why limit it? There's a lot going on here beyond Gibson talk. The Gibson boards are a community of people. It's natural that they may want to mention major life events or whatever.

It's just a matter of evolution and not necessarily a bad thing.

Glad to hear you've come around to that. Peace, brother.

Is this thread in here by accident?

Seems to have come from the acoustic section..

Personally I don't hang there much so have no idea whats going on? Has there been some big row in a thread somewhere? In the main lounge I don't think ive seen a big argument for years now?? Id say mostly we do police ourselves pretty well in here.

I love cheerful women,

good guitars,

the company of good buddies,

dogs and puppies,

cold beers,

and the occasional whiskey.

I hate drama,

unnecessary nonsense,

bitter, partisan-political discourse,

celebrities with no apparent talent,

politicians in general,

people who post without using spell-check,

television,

and

McDonalds fast food.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

[unsure]

Guys like Guitarstrummer and Jerry K. have been bullied in the past and left leaving big holes in the information pool.

Jerry K. was banned from the forum because of his ongoing inability to communicate in a civil manner, which included bullying, adolescent name calling, targeting & labeling forum members, and periodically teaming with other forum members (yourself included) to engage in such tactics & pursue particular agendas.

It takes some effort to get banned from this forum, which is pretty darn accommodating - but he managed to do it.

Archived