Gibson Brands Forums

Walk the walk and talk the talk...

Flight959

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zig - your stuff is so mellow. jazzy? I didn't figure you for that kind of player.

surfpup - ya'll sound tight. I mean that in the on time in tune with eachother sense of the word, of course. good taste in songs, too. Any originals?

badbluesplayer - that yam in your garage...if I had neighbors like you I'd come over and sit there and listen. you are damn good for garage fun...better than average, too cool.

To Johnny Winter, my biggest guitar influence. I first learned this intro to Bonie Maronie in 77 or 78. When he died I got a hold of a white Firebird and tried to play it from memory. I screw it up a coupla (as Milod says) places and added a few things where I couldn't play what he played. Bless you Johnny. I used to moonlight in Port Arthur in 1989. They were still talking about you in the bars. Cheers

http://youtu.be/V7UFxJuuqLw

For some reason couldn't get it to show the video, only the link.

To Johnny Winter, my biggest guitar influence. I first learned this intro to Bonie Maronie in 77 or 78. When he died I got a hold of a white Firebird and tried to play it from memory. I screw it up a coupla (as Milod says) places and added a few things where I couldn't play what he played. Bless you Johnny. I used to moonlight in Port Arthur in 1989. They were still talking about you in the bars. Cheers

http://youtu.be/PT4iaJcSCDI

Nice playing Tman and I love that Firebird. [thumbup] At first I couldn't figure out what was up with the top bout (or whatever it's called) of the guitar. It looked like it was cut-off or indented some way. But then I realized it's just your shirt draping down over. [blush]

Nice playing Tman and I love that Firebird. [thumbup] At first I couldn't figure out what was up with the top bout (or whatever it's called) of the guitar. It looked like it was cut-off or indented some way. But then I realized it's just your shirt draping down over. [blush]

Yea it's a special carve top! Thanks, the tuners on this thing are insane. I really like them. I used to have a Firebird back in the late 70's. This version is a real improvement in my opinion.

I always enjoy your playing Tman.

Thanks Zigzag. Typically my obsessive self would have practiced until much better. Just felt like giving it a go.

That Firebird is very special. Can you imagine someone playing a slow ballad on one? - next project!

• 2 weeks later...

Rough demo with my blues band Blue Dog.....we have a very good harp player. The singer and mainman is home-recording a 3-track CD to hand out to get some gigs!

Please excuse the 10-sec silence at start and general lack of guitar finesse.....

Rough demo with my blues band Blue Dog.....we have a very good harp player. The singer and mainman is home-recording a 3-track CD to hand out to get some gigs!

Please excuse the 10-sec silence at start and general lack of guitar finesse.....

The 10 sec should be easy to cut. The guitar finesse is not at all lacking. And you're right the harp player is bada$$! [thumbup] I'd never want to solo if he was in the band. [biggrin] I quite enjoyed the singer too. He has a unique voice - not the typical blues voice and that's good.

If you are interested in any constructive criticism, read on. If not look away now and just accept the praise issued above cuz you guys sound great....

I'd say the drumming is the weak spot. If you could get him to lay back a bit and swing more. He's very much on top of the beat (very white as they sometimes say :rolleyes:). Overall I think you guys have a great sound. [thumbup] Seems like a fun situation to be playing in.

If you could get him to lay back a bit and swing more. He's very much on top of the beat (very white as they sometimes say :rolleyes:). Overall I think you guys have a great sound. [thumbup] Seems like a fun situation to be playing in.

[thumbup]

That was great. Love the guitar work and tone!

Many thanks for your kind words.

Yes yes re our drummer being right on top of the beat - don't think he was at ease with a click track at all. Generally so far it's been a different story live - I feel very comfortable with his playing and don't have to worry...you know what I mean.

And it's so great having the harp player in the band who has a box full of harps, Charlie McCoy-type country influences as well as blues like Little Walter, and the most command of his instrument of any of us...and I can talk to him about Jerry Reed!

Regards!

Fantastic. Love it. Wish I played with a harp player like that. The guitars are superb. Great all around job.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a gig in North Little Rock, Arkansas yesterday. Went to see my Mom in Little Rock and visited with my old band mates. Here are some snippets from the gig. Loads of fun. I basically have one tone. Gain at 2 o'clock, volume up. Police did come but they agreed to let us play until 9:30 since it was a benefit for the Fire Department.

Nice setting. Outside on the shores of a lake.

Obviously on a cell phone from a distance.

Mary Jane's Last Dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az5oSNgoWhc

Highway to Hell. Our drummer really sang with gusto during the chorus!

SInger guitarist used a baritone Telecaster. We played it in E so he could sing it although he has an incredible range. Bon Scott was a bit too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp5T6npAUR4

http://youtu.be/V7UFxJuuqLw

Great job Tman! [thumbup]

This is the first time I've looked at this thread and it's because there's so many frickin pages I kept ignoring it. Looks like I've got a lot of reading & listening to do here. I don't know how you guys find the time to record videos. I guess at some point before I die I'd better make time to get some videos up on YouTube so people will know I existed at all. [crying]

Anyhow - I really enjoyed that - thank you. I've got a feeling there's a ton of you guys I'd very much enjoy jamming with. =D>

Watch them all Rev! I joined about the same time as you and have done just that. Yes it took me a long time but, being new to guitar playing, i enjoyed every second of them! Also i have learned tons just from watching how others do things.

My undermybellyshments have grown a little since then and i would feel more comfortable posting what i have learned up to this point but now i have another problem. I'm an idiot when it comes to making and posting videos. Just haven't kept up with technology, (ok i'm lazy)!

Anyway watch them if you can, you won't regret taking the time out to do it.

A BIG THANKS to all forum members for helping me accomplish what i have so far. [smile]

• 2 weeks later...

Mustang Sally,,one of my fav T-40 club tunes to do,,decided to do a full version on the 24 trk,,,one thing,,if you ever try to do Wilson Picketts vocals,,you may need a soothing drink of some type while doing vocals,,my throat was sore for 2 days after this,,lol

Archived