Gibson Brands Forums

Saw my first fake in person

quapman

So last night I went out for a first jam with a new bunch of guys I found in a "want ad" looking for a guitar player..

This past weekend we got acquainted and played briefly. Then last night had our first full band practice to feel each other out.

But that's for another thread later if things work out. But is also important to this thread in that I just met these guys

and may want to join them.

So after we finished up and were chatting,, the guitar player was showing off his LP custom that he said he got for so cheap that he didn't even want to say

what he paid. The bass player got it for him and also bought himself one.

It was an ebony Custom. From a distance it just didn't look right. It just looked kinda cheap.

The first thing that struck me was no gold hardware. But that wasn't enough to even start thinking it was fake at that point.

But what really jumped out at me was the slotted screws in the bridge.

So I opened my big mouth and said, "not wanting to alarm anyone but I'm pretty sure Gibson never used these slotted screws on their bridges".

I felt really bad. They both looked crushed. I wished I hadn't said anything but at the same time I felt they needed to know.

And if possible, question who ever they got them from.

So,, it sounds like they still want me back.. lol.

But I felt really crappy for telling them.

What would you do? I would have no problem telling my friends that at all.

But I just met these guys. Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut. They already paid their money.

Anyway,, thanks to this forum and it's members for edjumakatin me up so I know better.

Tough call...

Not knowing them really well I might of simply ignored it...

But if asked I don't believe in lying or withholding if he asked what I thought of his new custom I'd probably had told him it's a very nice Chibson... I might even tell him it sounds great at that point even if it didn't...

But it all depends the feel I got from them... I don't like pissing in peoples Wheaties just for sh!ts & giggles, there's way too much of that kind of crap on Youtube and the internet, but I also think honesty is the best policy and passing along knowledge is something that is always a good thing in my book and I know I'd want to be corrected...

The problem is I just don't know without putting it up to a consensus of the more enlightened folks like in here because I've looked at some on the internet that I was morally certain were Chinese counterfeits and it turned out they were legit, so I'd probably mention something about my suspicions but not make a bold statement about it...

I'd also let them know I've been completely wrong about that issue before too... But sometimes I can spot a fake and be correct...

I think you did the right thing, in letting them know. And, I'd go

even further (especially, if you like them) and show them "why" it's

a "Fake!" Educate them, as it were. People that aren't that familiar

with REAL Gibson's, just react to the "name," and so are "taken in,"

accordingly.

Cheers,

CB

Yeah I think you did the right thing.. if they thought they were genuine... cos if you hadn't told them, someone would have...

And maybe by you alerting them it may help stop someone else getting ripped off?

And maybe by you alerting them it may help stop someone else getting ripped off?

Exactly what my first thoughts were. If they had eventually sold those guitars to unwitting buyers, and advertised them as "Gibson Les Pauls", somebody else would have been ripped off.

You did the right thing.

-Ryan

OK, you already know the 'correct' answer.

Just to play 'Devil's Advocate' for a few seconds...

I'd suggest that if, with yourself, these new band members gel together like, for example, Eric, Duane, Bobby, Jim and Carl did then I'd join in regardless of the hardware on show.

Good to highlight the skulduggery of course.

P.

... the guitar player was showing off his LP custom that he said he got for so cheap that he didn't even want to say

what he paid. The bass player got it for him and also bought himself one.

But what really jumped out at me was the slotted screws in the bridge.

So I opened my big mouth and said, "not wanting to alarm anyone but I'm pretty sure Gibson never used these slotted screws on their bridges".

Considering the situation as you describe it, you couldn't have said it any better I believe. [thumbup]

If they paid so little they don't even want to say they should know better, unless they are totally ignorant of the fact that there is a fake Gibson market.

I did something similar a few months ago, not on a fake but this guy was telling me how he made out like a bandit and got a Stratocaster Standard for $500 when they go for $1200, I said wow! then without thinking I said, wait a minute, did you get a Mexican Standard Strat or the American Standard?...then I thought, oh man, why did I say anything?

You did the right thing. If it were me I would want to know, I'dd not be happy about it but at least you know the truth. There is also the bigger picture that we need to fight against blatant copying which is just outright deception.

The 70s copy's of Gibson guitars by Ibanez are well known but Ibanez put them out as Ibanez guitars not Gibson's even though they were just as well made.

You did the right thing. If it were me I would want to know, I'dd not be happy about it but at least you know the truth. There is also the bigger picture that we need to fight against blatant copying which is just outright deception.

The 70s copy's of Gibson guitars by Ibanez are well known but Ibanez put them out as Ibanez guitars not Gibson's even though they were just as well made.

Correct! And while it was an exact copy of a Les Paul, Ibanez, Aria, and Memphis, etc. at least had the balls to put their own name on the headstock!

in a previous thread awhile back, i mentioned a couple i saw. a friend of mine who does repairs, amps & guitars had a Les Paul and PRS in his shop. they belonged a a mutual friend of ours. from across the room the LP looked nice but as you got closer, something just didnt seem right about it. the binding looked cheap and poorly blended. that was the first thing that stood out. and the head stock , how it was attached to the neck... the guy had gotten them from some chinese website. and was now having my friend make them playable.

based on your post, what you did was drop a hint, It's now up to them to pursue verifying.

I don't understand how folks are still getting swindled with all the discussions floating around these days.

It's just one of those things. In the short term it's a bit embarrassing and so on but in the long term you have really done them a favour and you didn't slam 'em or jeer either.

You have to know what you are buying as far as gear goes.

I'm sure that most people reading this will have spent a small fortune on gear....wasted some on totally wrong snap decisions (I've done plenty of that!), done the research and ended up with good stuff.

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like the majority think it was the right thing.

Even though I felt bad about it,, I did feel they should know. I know I would want to know.

I tried to be as tactful as I could.

In their defense not everyone is as up on the fake market like folks on this forum. Not even close.

I would have had no clue if it weren't for hanging around here.

So for the one cheap shot about not wanting to be in a band with weenies who can't spot a fake all I can ask

is what's the view like atop that high horse? I didn't realize spotting fakes was a musical quality.

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like the majority think it was the right thing.

Even though I felt bad about it,, I did feel they should know. I know I would want to know.

I tried to be as tactful as I could.

In their defense not everyone is as up on the fake market like folks on this forum. Not even close.

I would have had no clue if it weren't for hanging around here.

So for the one cheap shot about not wanting to be in a band with weenies who can't spot a fake all I can ask

is what's the view like atop that high horse? I didn't realize spotting fakes was a musical quality.

In my opinion, you really have been as tactful as possible. Anyway, I don't consider spotting fakes as a musical quality.

Archived