Gibson Brands Forums

Artists You Wished You Could Have Seen Perform

Frances50

I've recently been fortunate enough to see many popular artists from the 60's, 70's and 80's. My one regret was that I didn't get to see Elvis, Jim Croce, and John Denver when they were alive. Anyone care to share their thoughts on artists they wished they'd had the opportunity to see?

Still kicking myself for not going: Lou Reed at Navy Pier in Chicago, June 2003. The show was mostly him and his guitar and the reviews were very positive. He was the only member of the original VU I never got to see.

I have a feeling I am going to regret not seeing Neil Young. There is still time, but not sure my wallet can take $$$ ticket prices.

Hmmmm, good question! Having grown up in "the Sixties," I saw most all the bands

I wanted to see, back in their "heyday!" Some, several times! And, bands in the

decades since, that were important to me, as well. But, there were a couple (at

least) Peter Green Era, Fleetwood Mac, I never saw live, and I never got to see

"Blodwyn Pig," which I would have liked to have seen, as well.

Right now, I'm more interested in seeing some of the newer, younger talent.

Samantha Fish, Lissie, Daughter...hmmm, must be into female performers, more

than I thought? [biggrin] And, there's probably a lot more, I'm not even

aware of? [blush]

CB

I'm not usually going to "concerts" unless I'm paid to. Never did care for crowds.

But, I was working in Las Vegas when Sinatra was there in a "lounge." I planned to go, then work got in the way.

m

I was mowing the lawn one August day in 1990. My wife came out and made me shut off the mower and said, "I just heard on the radio there are still tickets available to the Stevie Ray Vaughan concert tonight. I'll treat!". I said "no", that I had too much to do and "we'll catch him next time." [angry]

He went from here (Omaha) to a concert in Iowa and then to Wisconsin, his last concert before the crash.

One of the regrets of my life that I did not take advantage of my wife's offer and that I never did get to see him live :( When I could have.

I had the opposite factor involved.

Die Valkerie was playing a special Met performance where I was living in a city. I wanted to go but couldn't get somebody to cover for me at work. My wife said she wouldn't either, so...

m

Fashion live im Schlachthof (= live at the slaughterhouse) in Munich.

The Bayerischer Rundfunk (= Bavarian Broadcasting Service) recorded this concert for their TV channel. I was smitten when I saw and heard "You Only Left Your Picture", in particular about the great bass playing by Marlon Recchi, whyever aka Martin Recchi. It translated much better than on the studio album I bought immediately after that. He played it on a Fender Mustang Bass then.

Sadly, this TV recording is unavailable on the web, so I link the studio version here. In the refrain outros along with the words "my need", and at the song end ad infinitum along with the lyrics "see you", it has the most ear-and-brain-cutting stereo phasing effect I ever heard. In the refrains, it is running out into normal stereo localization with a bursting synth percussion beat at the end of the chorus. Awesome, and definitely worth listening, and even more impressive through headphones.

It is one of my all-time favorite songs since then.

There is one obvious one for me: The Beatles

However, they were all done touring when I was -1 years old [laugh] . So, it wasn't like I could have seen them, but didn't for one reason or another.

More realistic bands/artists I wished I could have seen—and it would have had to have been their very last tour with original members—would be:

Led Zeppelin ('79-'80)

Pink Floyd (with Roger Waters!) I saw them sans Waters in 1987

The Who would have been cool to see in the late-'70's-early '80s

The Replacements (I actually "saw" them, in their final incarnation, open for Tom Petty... but I was not watching when they were on. I was in a very long line for beer!)

I really wish I had seen Little Feat before Lowell George passed on. [crying] So many others I would like to have seen: :-k

1970s - 10cc, Focus, Genesis(original line-up), Jean-Luc Ponty, KING CRIMSON [thumbup] , Robin Trower, Traffic, UK, Wings

1980s - Duran Duran, Eurythmics, KING CRIMSON [thumbup] , Talking Heads, The Police

1990s - KING CRIMSON [thumbup] , Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP

2000s

Most of what I like since the dawn of the new millennia is ProgRock and that means most of it

is/was British and most are/have been members of KING CRIMSON & ProjeKcts One & Two. [thumbup]

KING CRIMSON will kick off a US tour in Sept with 9 shows in New England, 3 in the Midwest, and 5 on the Left Coast.

I'm not gonna drive to Chicago [-( which is the same reason I never saw Floyd or Zeppelin! [cursing]

I'll stick with ones there were alive during my era...

#1 hands-down is Albert King. He was set to finally come to New England after not having done so for a very long time. They were announcing tickets getting ready to go on sale when suddenly he died...

I was heart-broken. I had missed my opportunity to see him live...

Funny how my mind works, I've not yet seen BB King live either He was still really gifted in his playing back in my day. He's apparently already wheelchair-bound and it probably won't be long before he's gone...

While they were never particularly functional during my era, even if both still alive (I rather discount The Splinter Group, and his career after, due to his loss of edge, and chops for that matter, from the psychotropic drugs) but I absolutely wish I'd had an opportunity to see both Peter Green and Danny Kirwan with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac! I certainly didn't care much for Danny's music after he gave up The Blues... By the time I had started going to music shows and concerts Danny had already given up his career...

Muddy waters was still alive by the time I went to my first concert ever, but I hadn't found The Blues for myself yet by that time. I know his bands were always tight and it would have been awesome though...

I think I could have made a better effort to see Les Paul before he died too...

I never got to see Gary Moore live and he had a huge impact on me when his "Still Got The Blues" album came out.

I've not seen Chuck Berry live...

I definitely kick myself for missing Albert Collins...

As far as bands go; The Outlaws are at the top of my list before Hughie Thomasson died, and The Marshall Tucker Band, Blackfoot, or any of the Lynyrd Skynyrd variations. I think Skynyrds first re-emergence in the late 1980's or early 1990's was the strongest, but I do like Ricky Medlocke too.

I think I missed out by not seeing George Thorogood and also Pat Travers...

A couple semi obscure names (and a travesty at that) I wish I had seen:

JB Hutto

Roy Buchanan

Luther Allison

Hound Dog Taylor

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown

Lowell Fulson

Jimmy Dawkins

Jimmy Johnson

Johnny Johnson (Who was in The Beat Boys w/Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown that backed Freddy King alot circa 1966) I left Freddy (among others) off this list because he died before my time of seeing shows...

I know I'm missing many...

Archived