Gibson Brands Forums

Praise for Guild Guitars

bobouz

Raise your hand if you had a Guild guitar in the '70s....... Me too.

Loved my four Guilds from that period (F-20, F-30, F-40, & D-40). In 2015, I decided to reconnect with Guild in a serious way. My signature will show the five Guilds I purchased last year, and I have to say, it's been a complete joy to revisit these fine instruments.

Back in the '80s, I played a number of entry level Guilds that were rather dead tonally, and it finalized my turning away from Guild, as I had become more focused on short-scale Gibsons & Martins.

Well, the four Westerly flattops (two from the '70s & two from the '90s before Fender's purchase), have reawakened everything I liked about Guilds, from small body to jumbo.

It appears that Ren just about has the Oxnard factory ready to go, and Elderly has the first two models listed for pre-order. Best of luck to Ren and his team, as this brand absolutely deserves to still be made in the USA!

Guild D40 1969 was my first nice guitar, still have it.

Got it from Chuck Levins Washington music

Sounds great,light weight always thought it was heavy until I got other acoustics

I went in to get a Martin, came out with the Guild. Sure glad I did

I have a 66 D40(Hoboken) I bought new. It went to college with me, went to college with my son, kicked around laying on couches with or without me. Never humidified except by Mother Nature. Never had a stuctural issue. Built like a brick out house and unfortunately has the same tonal qualities. It's not really a dud, but every other one i have ever played is better.

When I bought it the only other guitar I owned was bought with Green Stamps so my experience was limited. [biggrin]

Anyway, I look forward to hearing a new one.

Rich

Raise your hand if you had a Guild guitar in the '70s....... it's been a complete joy to revisit these fine instruments.

I got my first Guild in 2016. :) It's a Corona-built JF30-12 burst with the arched one-piece, unbraced flame maple back, essentially an F412. This guitar is the heaviest, loudest, most balanced, best sounding guitar I own. And in pristine condition.

gfj350.jpg

It appears that Ren just about has the Oxnard factory ready to go, and Elderly has the first two models listed for pre-order. Best of luck to Ren and his team, as this brand absolutely deserves to still be made in the USA!

Yeah, Guild has been on hiatus too long! Best wishes (and godspeed) to the new Oxnard plant!

Yep, I've been playing Guild guitars since the 70s. Currently I've only got one - a F-412 that's excellent. Glad to see they're continuing their US production. Of late, as Guild bounced their US acoustic production around the country, the quality/consistency has wavered - you had to take a good look to get a nice sounding one. I've been impressed with Guild's electric come back - the Newark Street electrics. Looking forward to see how the acoustics do under Ren's leadership.

I've got one of the Guild Orpheum guitars, which were/are Ren's pet project at Guild.

Simply wonderful guitars, and you can absolutely see Ren's influence everywhere on the guitar.

Highly recommend checking one out if you are a fan of Gibson, Ren, and Guild

Had a D-50 back in the early '60s when they were still Brazilian. Played that one for many years.

Later around 2000 I had a great sounding D-55 and an F-512. Wish I still had that 12.

Will look forward to checking out Ren's modern Guilds.

I scarfed what was undoubtedly the last new F-20 GSR Carpathian/cocobolo in the universe (1 of 20) a while back. It's shaped like a 14-fret size 0 Martin, but (thankfully!) it doesn't SOUND like a Martin. It's craaaaaaaaaazee! Woooooeee!

post-33146-004820400 1453324057_thumb.jpg

post-33146-044162900 1453323978_thumb.jpg

For decades I played a 1978 Guild D35M and it was a loud, nuanced guitar. Loved it. I could've saved myself a huge amount of cash if I'd just had bitten the bullet and paid for a neck reset. Instead I sold it with a discount for work to be done and began an expensive goose-chase through Gibsons and Martins in hopes of finding other guitars that interested me. I found some duds and I found some winners. My '64 J-45 and '66 LG-1 and '61 LG-3 are the best Gibsons and my M36 is a superb Martin. I've enjoyed the journey, but I likely would've been happy with that Guild had the problems never arose.

I'm very curious to see what Ren has done for Guild and quite worried for my bank balance.

I look forward to hearing from new Guild owners on this board. For Gibson fans know what makes a great guitar and if Guild has it, it will be you guys who will tell the world. Or, heck, just us!

I too own a Guild Orpheum series, a 12 fret Smeck-like slope shoulder and I agree with siddhartha about Ren's influence. I expect Guild will continue with the models that brought them to the party because that is their identity in the minds of many but I sure hope Ren is turned loose at this point in his long career to produce some things that bring together all of his knowledge of vintage guitars and modern construction methods. There isn't a lot that is new in acoustic guitar design and I don't think the world needs yet another D-28 clone. The acoustic guitar buying public is so traditional I don't know if a new model can break ground but if anyone might be able to do it, in a production environment, it would be Ren Ferguson. Personally, I'm on a quest for a smaller bodied (14 or 15 inch lower bout) six string for an older guy that has to move away from reaching over a big guitar, that is built to be flat picked aggressively and has some bass output comparable to a dread. It seems that smaller guitars are relegated to being fingerpickers and although I love the sound of finger picking I'm not a finger picker. It's about the only niche that I see in the market that isn't being addressed and about the only age group with the money to spend to support an attempt. So Ren, if you're reading this, that's what I'm looking for...and preferably a 14 inch lower bout!

Archived