Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Epiphone

JuanCarlosVejar

Well, it's pretty clear you get what you pay for. The difference in the two SJ's is pretty stunning, but I don't know how much of that difference might be contributed to the cutaway.

The Epi 'bird is very harsh tonally to my ear--no balance, mediocre separation. Very "stringy" and thin-sounding, as opposed to "woody" and full.

If they two Epi's weren't being played side-by-side with the Gibby's, the differences might or might not be quite so apparent.

• Confused 1

Well, it's pretty clear you get what you pay for. The difference in the two SJ's is pretty stunning, but I don't know how much of that difference might be contributed to the cutaway.

The Epi 'bird is very harsh tonally to my ear--no balance, mediocre separation. Very "stringy" and thin-sounding, as opposed to "woody" and full.

If they two Epi's weren't being played side-by-side with the Gibby's, the differences might or might not be quite so apparent.

I've was very much of the same thoughts on the 'bird; too bright and not a lot of resonance coming across; such a stark difference to the full Gibson, which sounded wonderful. The two J's sounded quite on par to my ears.

• Confused 1

No offense to Epis and those who love them. Most of them, especially the Masterbilt models, are nice instruments (and I currently own two Epis, one a Masterbilt), but they are not the equal of my Gibsons. No way in hell. The Epis are still good guitars, but not like my Gibsons. My EJ200 is nowhere near my J100. Nice guitar and very playable until you compare it to something like the J100, etc. The difference in tone and volume is very apparent and it's not due to the cutaway. It's due to the quality of wood and build. It was fine for the few months I've had the EJ200, because I wanted a super jumbo again, but now that I've got the J100 there is simply no valid comparison between the two guitars. The Epi is a $400 guitar and the J100 is a $3000 guitar. Both super jumbos and both made out of wood and both function as guitars, but that's where the similarities end. I know there are people who claim they can't tell the difference between a $400 guitar and a $2000-4000 and in 99% of the cases I think they're full of it. Some folks are fine with an instrument that is simply a nice guitar, but if one is looking for something more they will easily notice the differences between a Gibson/Martin and an Epi/Fender/etc. And I'm not knocking Epis. They're pretty much the equal and sometimes the superior of the other guitars in their class, but they are not Gibsons/Martins. I don't expect Epi lovers to agree with this and that's fine. I hope they play their guitars for decades and decades. I've owned Gibsons and some Martins for years now and it's difficult to find one of the less expensive guitar brands that are supplying what I'm expecting to feel and hear. I often buy less expensive brands because I think a particular model looks cool and plays nicely, but I rarely keep them very long, because aside from the initial attraction there's not much there to keep my interest...........Anyway, if one can't hear the differences in these guitars they'll likely disagree with me. If they can hear the differences, they likely know what I'm trying to say.

• Sad 1

Without appearing a guitar snob it's a really good video proving that it's worth spending the maximum you can afford on a guitar to keep . What really stands out is the quality of the cheaper guitars , you really get a lot for your money nothing at all wrong with either , good guitars . Trouble is the USA guitars sound brilliant at ten times the price . The big question , is the sound ten times better . To me the answer is yes . I'm biased as the hummingbird will be if all goes well my next guitar

• Haha 1

I currently own two Gibsons, and have owned several Epiphones over the years. I have always found Epiphones, more so than yamaha, or most of the other lower-end guitars, to feel and sound very thin, and tight.

Even my Norlin era Gibson Blue Ridge is heads and tails a better sounding guitar than any of the Epi's that I have personally played (Masterbilts included). Im not looking to offend anyone, or bash anybody, or any guitar. This is just the very costly experience/opinion that I have acquired over years of lusting over GIbsons, but only being able to afford Epiphones. All the while trying to trick myself into thinking that they are in any way comparable.

Personally, I have adopted a no-Epiphone policy. I feel that the money spent on these instruments could just as easily be saved and invested into higher quality american made instruments.

Also, it's interesting to note that the lack of love for Norlin era guitars have kept some of them well within the upper price range of Epiphone. So really it is possible to own a Gibson even if you don't have the 3-4k to drop on one. but even still, the Norlins do not live up to what was produced before and after the 70's but to me they have their own charm, and represent a piece of Gibson's history.

just my .02 ymmv pdkm

• Haha 1

There's a difference [rolleyes]

Epi's are nice inexpensive guitars they help me control may gas.

I currently have three,an AJ anniversary model I bought used,a Hummingbird with out elec and great cherry burst used

And a EJ 200 Artist new. Each of them was under $ 200 two of them with nice cases.

The AJ is my kitchen guitar, best sounding and looking of the group with a full C neck

• Like 1

I own a 2016 Gibson Hummingbird Vintage and an Epi Hummingbird Pro. Everyones posts above are spot on. The Epi Bird sounds tin, thin, and tight, feels cheaper, and is much heavier. But rightfully so, considering the wood used and that the Gibson Bird has a larger body (Depth wise) and is better constructed. That being said, I play both of them equally as much AND enjoy them both equally as much. Don't get me wrong: the Gibson sounds AND plays WAY BETTER then the Epi. I typically play the Epi when I wanna just grab a guitar quickly and play for 5 minutes (as the Epi hangs right on the wall at all times). Or if my little guy is running around as he loves to strum and slap at it. I wouldn't let him come close to my Gibson Bird. I play the Gibson when I know I have more than just a quick minute to pluck a few chords (Mostly at night when my son is in bed, or on the weekends). Im happy that I bought BOTH guitar....the only question is...what comes next? J45? HD-28V? J200? Ha, now I'm just dreaming.....

image_61.jpeg

• Sad 1

IMHO they both do a good job for what they are for & cost. But that being said, NO COMPARISON in sound to me. I have both EPI Dove & Bird and Gibson Dove & Bird. Like all 4 of them and like said, I grab the Epi Dove to play most of the time. Just for my 2-5 songs before I head to work or after work before the rest of things on the list to do. Also, take the Epi Dove in the RV. But everyone both are previewed for says the same. The Gibson's just blow the Epi away in sound. And they better.

I still play the Epi Dove prolly the most, but I long for the Gibson often when I do.

Aster

• Like 1

Had another listen to this with more time , two things are really noticeable to me apart from the Epi and Gibson comparison 1, The difference in tone produced by the different plectrum material , the guy on our right as we look at the screen is using a much softer pick and it really shows in the resulting tone .2, As a new owner of Gibson acoustics it has really surprised me what good sounding guitars these are for fingerpicking most players choose OO or OOO size guitars but these two Gibsons sound amazing msp_thumbup.gif

• Like 1

interesting video...

you can get a lot of guitar for a few hundred bucks, and there's nothing wrong with that!

as some of you folks now, I finally got m SJ200 just over one month ago. It easily eclipses almost everything else I've ever owned. The one exception is my 2205 Taylor GS, which does not sound at all like the J200 but it's still a great playing and sounding 6 string.

• Like 1

interesting video...

The one exception is my 2205 Taylor GS, which does not sound at all like the J200 but it's still a great playing and sounding 6 string.

Well given your Taylor is 200 years from the future it must involve technologies other makers just dont have access to :-) no wonder it sounds so good.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well, it's pretty clear you get what you pay for.

Well sure, but I claim this was an unfair test! [smile] They picked models where the Epiphone entry was laminate back and sides, while the Gibbie was all solid. Of course that makes a difference, and that's the difference you're hearing, or at least a major part of it. I wish they would have compared Gibbie models similar to Epi's all solid wood Masterbilts. I bet the Gibsons still sound better, but by not as much.

• Confused 1

• 5 years later...

Hello gibson groupies.  I wass sitting here waiting for my gibson to finish rebuilding the motor in my car when I came across this forum. It's surprising to see people who love gibson so much that they're willing to bash everyone else's guitars. My dad can beat up your dad.  Actually I'm waiting on my luthier to finish my second gibson as soon as he gathers enough unicorn dust to make it magic. I need it to build me  a  new house.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1